Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

OHM Wire Down

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:58 PM

OHM Wire Down

ok so im getting 8ohm speakers for my car and as you know car amps only go up to 4ohms. i heard some where that you can wire down the ohmage of the speaker to 4ohms i was wondering how i can do this
Old 01-24-2011, 09:10 PM

You can hook up any 8 ohm speakers up to the amps. You will just get less power. 1,2,4 ohms is just as low as the amp can handle. All amps to my knowledge can handle 8ohm. If its 500 hundred watts at 4 ohm, then you would get 250 with an 8 ohm sub.

In order to lower the ohms of a sub. that would have to do with wiring. Here is a reference for you. http://www.crutchfield.com/learn/lea...rs_wiring.html
Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

Originally Posted by djdavebse
ok so im getting 8ohm speakers for my car and as you know car amps only go up to 4ohms. i heard some where that you can wire down the ohmage of the speaker to 4ohms i was wondering how i can do this
What speakers are you getting? Why are you getting 8 ohm speakers? There are millions of 4 ohm speakers out there that can be had.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by djdavebse
Wire them in parallel.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:48 AM
§è~® f®ÈÄk

He said speakers not subs, if they're subs, then absolutely wire them in parallel.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 PM

I have a 10" DVC acting as an 8 ohm load on a bridged 100w x 2 @ 4 ohm amp and it still hits. Not the most efficient setup, but it works well and sounds very clean. What you don't want to do is use speakers with lower impedance than what the amp is designed for.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by nismos14
He said speakers not subs, if they're subs, then absolutely wire them in parallel.
you can wire speakers in parallel, there's no issue with that
Old 01-27-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by nismos14
What speakers are you getting? Why are you getting 8 ohm speakers? There are millions of 4 ohm speakers out there that can be had.
well im thinking about getting two of these

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...h-CRSS6.5.html

looks pretty good im looking for mostly mid range

Originally Posted by djkevinnn
you can wire speakers in parallel, there's no issue with that
what do you mean by parallel?
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM

theoretically, the best solution is to put a load matching transformer in between, but transformers working across the audio frequency tend to be a bit expensive - tend to be found on valve amps and electrostatic speakers.... it will cost you more then your speakers.

Most car audio systems today are tech wired parallel. Ok lets say you have Speaker wire, and split it up in half (like white lines on a 2 way rd going north and south) Pos (on the left) and Neg (on the right). If you had 2 or more speakers youd put them in the middle of the road on the yellow line one IN FRONT of each other each (north and south). The speakers + would go to POS of the speaker wire (on the left) the speakers - side to NEG side of the speaker wire (on the right)....so on and so forth

Series- Split the wire, you would set the speakers next to each other (east to west) and Your left speaker + going to the POS side of the speaker wire, the - side of the left speaker would GO TO THE + of the right speaker and the right speakers - side goes to neg side of the speaker line..... You can learn more on www.the12volt.com..

If your looking for mostly mid range you may want to look at Sony (cheaper) , Alpine type S (better sound). Sony focuses more on bass, alpine vocals. I like http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/, they have a HUGE selection.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 AM
blah

^^^ huh north south east west??? you planning on sailing to alaska or some crap ?

djdavebse what is powering the speakers? the factory head unit? Is it a bose unit? Do you have an amp to run these? Most car audio stereo/amps run at 4 ohms so you are better off getting 4 ohm speakers to start with. The speakers will still work without a tech parallel wired load matching transformer they just won't get as much power as they may need. I wouldn't recommend getting those speakers regardless.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:12 PM

Im not gonna sail IM GONNA RIDE MY BICYCLE....****....dont hate cause your bike isnt kewl and pink like mine. NE WAYS....Yea north and south... if you use directions that everyone knows its easier to do it in your head. Its the way I would train all the F.N.G's in car audio for chirstmas seasons. MOST of them got it.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
blah

Originally Posted by Tommiekatt916
Im not gonna sail IM GONNA RIDE MY BICYCLE....****....dont hate cause your bike isnt kewl and pink like mine. NE WAYS....Yea north and south... if you use directions that everyone knows its easier to do it in your head. Its the way I would train all the F.N.G's in car audio for chirstmas seasons. MOST of them got it.
Using your GPS is a horrible way of explaining audio/electronics. There's no real consistency as far as right/left north/south when comparing various audio components across different manufactures. You would need to accompany yourself with compass to install your radio and park your car in the correct direction. You could just post a link that explains parallel/series which would be more helpful

Series vs Parallel
Old 02-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Batxel
Using your GPS is a horrible way of explaining audio/electronics. There's no real consistency as far as right/left north/south when comparing various audio components across different manufactures. You would need to accompany yourself with compass to install your radio and park your car in the correct direction. You could just post a link that explains parallel/series which would be more helpful

Series vs Parallel

Good find I could only find the ones that explain the theories and formulas and that just confuses people. I guess I always used the directions cause north is up. Each to there own...

Ne ways I forgot to mention if you want louder you can always look into Infinty they like to run there speakers at 2.5 ohm. They have great sensitivity but at very "tingy"