Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

question about using new itouch with alpine CDA 9886

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

question about using new itouch with alpine CDA 9886

as the subject line states, i want to get a new itouch and put a lot of my music on it and just use that in my car. i currently have like, 700 cds in the car, and aside from it being really annoying to constantly change them while driving, i'd be beyond pissed if i ever got em stolen or anything.

my headunit is a couple years old. it's an alpine cda 9886. when i plug in my iphone 4 with the cable that came with the headunit - because it is 'ipod-ready' it doesn't charge the device, and i have to navigate through the songs on the headunit's small display. i know that this is because at the time the headunit came out, the newer ipods/iphones weren't out, yet.

i believe there's an adapter i can buy that will have to plugged into the back of the unit, and will enable me to use a new itouch, and - here's the most important thing - be able to use the actual itouch to navigate through the songs, as opposed to using the headunits controls. can someone please tell me which cable i'd need? i've searched and i come up with different responses, based on various generations of ipods and stuff. i even called alpine, and they were extremely unhelpful; they seemed like that didn't even know what i was talking about, or that it was impossible for me to use an itouch with my headunit, and do so with the actual itouch's controls.

any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-15-2011, 05:22 PM
tastey wheat

pretty sure you can just use the scoshe adapter on the end of the ipod cable, this converts the pins they moved required for charging the newer iphones/ipods

http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-passPO...uct/B001HN6CVA