Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dual headunit: Bose HU + Rio Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2002, 10:00 AM
sashapost

Dual headunit: Bose HU + Rio Car

A couple of days ago I asked if it is possible to hook up a Rio Car MP3 player to Bose headunit. As far as I understand this is impossible because Bose HU does not have line-in. Still, I am trying to find a way to hook up Rio Car and keep the original sound system. Bose system is not perfect, but it works Ok for me so far.

I've got another idea. Why don't connect Rio Car directly to the speakers (but also keep Bose HU)? Rio Car player doesn't have an amplifier, but in Bose system the amplifier is located below the speakers (not in HU). For this I will probably need a converter, such as PIE headunit replacement converter. Also there should be some kind of switch that would prevent simultaneous play of Bose HU and Rio Car.

Can anybody of you, sound system wizards, comment on this? Is this going to work? What about sound quality?

Thanks,

Alex

Old 01-13-2002, 10:16 AM

Re: Dual headunit: Bose HU + Rio Car

Originally posted by sashapost
A couple of days ago I asked if it is possible to hook up a Rio Car MP3 player to Bose headunit. As far as I understand this is impossible because Bose HU does not have line-in. Still, I am trying to find a way to hook up Rio Car and keep the original sound system. Bose system is not perfect, but it works Ok for me so far.

I've got another idea. Why don't connect Rio Car directly to the speakers (but also keep Bose HU)? Rio Car player doesn't have an amplifier, but in Bose system the amplifier is located below the speakers (not in HU). For this I will probably need a converter, such as PIE headunit replacement converter. Also there should be some kind of switch that would prevent simultaneous play of Bose HU and Rio Car.

Can anybody of you, sound system wizards, comment on this? Is this going to work? What about sound quality?

Thanks,

Alex
it would work, with the correct converter (i have one, a two channel one, that cost me $50, i use it to convert the signal from the headunit because i rewired all the bose speakers to a PPI, MUCH MUCH better sound), you can use this converter in reverse, to send a signal from something, such as your mp3 player, to the stock bose amps. it is a possibility this would work without having to install some fancy switch, you just couldn't have your headunit on at the same time you want to play mp3's and vice versa.
Old 01-14-2002, 07:51 PM

How feasable would it be to disconnect the tape deck internally and connect the Empeg unit instead? or would this not be possible without completely trashing the tape deck?