Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

CompuCar... heh ;) (a bit long)

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:17 PM

CompuCar... heh ;) (a bit long)

(posted this in the wrong forum, just moved it here...)

Hey everybody. I'm new to this forum (obviously, this is my first post here) and I have a kind of strange (maybe not that strange?) project and I'm looking for a bit of feedback and maybe a little help. My goal is, quite simply, to get as many computers and little electrical gadgets into a car (not van or truck) as possible. With most of them, preferably, running off the car's battery. I've started such a project on my '99 CL. Right now I have a simple computer (with a large harddrive) mounted in the trunk and running off of the car's battery. Coupled with a sound card plugged into the car's amp, an infrared receiver that works with winamp, and a remote control up front I've got a pretty simple car-based mp3 system.

But, to be honest, I want more. Unfortunetly, I'm not willing to go any further with my CL. It's my day-to-day car and it goes everywhere. So I'm really not willing to risk thousands of dollars of computer equipment being stolen (along with my car). My solution is to buy an "old" car that I could load with electronics, possibly add some performance mods to, and keep in my garage - bringing it out only to show it off. I spent some time trying to decide on a good car to use as a platform, and in the end I think a 90-91 Maxima would be the best solution. So...

Has anyone had any experience with running more than a few devices off a car's battery? Any suggestions? Right now my two biggest concerns are keeping the computers cool and going with low-power devices to maximize the number of them I can get in the car. I'm also worried about finding small LCD monitors that I could mount inside the car. Also...

Even though I most likely won't be getting the car for another three-four months I'd like to start planning for the whole project as soon as possible so I can figure out costs. Unfortunetly, I don't have much information on '91 (or '90) Maximas. Specifically, if anyone has information on interior or trunk dimensions I'd appreciate it (the biggest headache with the mp3 comp in the CL was building a custom computer case that fit in the trunk and took up a minimal amount of space). And any ideas for computer/lcd screen locations in the car? Right now the trunk still seems like the best location to mount the actual boxes and then MAYBE run external CD drives into the cabin itself.

Oh, well. Any comments, ideas, or suggestions are definetly welcome. But before anyone asks: No, there isn't really any point to this project. I'm doing it mostly for fun, and maybe to learn a few things along the way. Not to mention that it's going to be one hell of a cool vehicle when I'm finished. Thanks in advance.