Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Crossovers & setup

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 10:16 AM

Crossovers & setup

It's been a while.

So Ive learned that I prefer building my own component setups instead of buying them.

My first question is when using crossovers on the amp or your radio, do u settle for only one of them and keep the other full range? I've notice funny behavior when I have them both set around 100hz but if I leave the radio at full range it plays with an unbelievable difference. I'm using a JVC KW 900BT with a JL Audio HD 800/4

Next, I would like to know when your are wiring in parallel is there a difference in wiring the positives from speaker terminals rather then splitting the speaker wire from the amp to go to each speaker separately.

Thanks guys
Old 05-21-2015, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by shyheim07
It's been a while.

So Ive learned that I prefer building my own component setups instead of buying them.

My first question is when using crossovers on the amp or your radio, do u settle for only one of them and keep the other full range? I've notice funny behavior when I have them both set around 100hz but if I leave the radio at full range it plays with an unbelievable difference. I'm using a JVC KW 900BT with a JL Audio HD 800/4

Next, I would like to know when your are wiring in parallel is there a difference in wiring the positives from speaker terminals rather then splitting the speaker wire from the amp to go to each speaker separately.

Thanks guys
A component system needs it's own crossover, even full range speakers have their own crossover. And then except for fine tuning, you shouldn't be using any crossover functions of either the deck or the amp. I am assuming you are substituting a dedicated component crossover for the built in crossovers of your deck or amp. This is wrong, the crossovers in a deck or an amp are cutting off certain frequencies for all channels, not isolating them to a certain speaker on a given channel as is the case with a speaker crossover.

If you want to build your own component system, you can buy crossovers without speakers and then choose which speakers you want to use. If you're wiring tweeters and woofers in parallel to the amp, stop right there, you NEED a crossover to split the highs and lows, otherwise it's going to sound like crap at any range, and you are going to damage your tweeters at virtually anything other than high pass. But to answer your last question, it really doesn't matter where a splice is made in a parallel configuration. But again, do not wire your tweeters and woofers in parallel.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Originally Posted by Hectic
A component system needs it's own crossover, even full range speakers have their own crossover. And then except for fine tuning, you shouldn't be using any crossover functions of either the deck or the amp. I am assuming you are substituting a dedicated component crossover for the built in crossovers of your deck or amp. This is wrong, the crossovers in a deck or an amp are cutting off certain frequencies for all channels, not isolating them to a certain speaker on a given channel as is the case with a speaker crossover.

If you want to build your own component system, you can buy crossovers without speakers and then choose which speakers you want to use. If you're wiring tweeters and woofers in parallel to the amp, stop right there, you NEED a crossover to split the highs and lows, otherwise it's going to sound like crap at any range, and you are going to damage your tweeters at virtually anything other than high pass. But to answer your last question, it really doesn't matter where a splice is made in a parallel configuration. But again, do not wire your tweeters and woofers in parallel.
This is really not entirely accurate, a bit flawed actually. Yes, nearly all need a crossover, of some form, but certainly not limited to passives.

To state that you should Not use the deck or amp crossover with passives are actually, as you put it, 'wrong'. If you don't then you have no high pass for them. Passives only perform the function of low pass to the midbass, so a high pass Is needed.

Blindly 'buying crossovers' to use with speakers can be potentially quite bad. If you don't know the values of the bought crossovers then they can cause damage, best case, sound bad or not optimal.

There is absolutely No reason why you can't use Just the amplifiers crossover, if it is capable. No reason at all and in many cases it actually benefits. 80% of amplifiers are not fully capable, but many still are.