Easy / efficient wire routing - Maxima Forums

Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Easy / efficient wire routing

Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #1

Easy / efficient wire routing

Any installers out there have advice about the easiest, most efficient wire routing for Maximas, especially for 8th Gen ('16/'17)? Particularly:
  • power from the battery to the trunk
  • speaker wires from the head to the trunk (for those of use without Bose)
  • speaker from the trunk to the various speaker locations

Looked at the stickies and FAQs and didn't find detailed information for this tech-heavy topic.
macdonjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Newbie - Just Registered

Run your power wire on the same side of the car as the battery. I cut a hole in the firewall grommet behind the driver side fuse box from inside the car, taped an XL zip tie to some 1/0 and fished it thru to the engine bay from inside the car. If you don' have small hands you can easily access the firewall grommet by taking off the front drivers fender liner.

Take off the black kick plates on either side, and remove the back seat bottom coushin. The kick plates can be removed by prying up with a plastic tool starting closest to the seat and working toward the front of the car. Release the clips that hold the carpet in place and run power wire under there there under rear seat and into trunk.

run your speaker wire and rcas on the passenger side the same way to avoid interference from your power wire.
Mlb123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips

Thanks for the tips. I couldn't work the power wire through the grommet on the driver's side, so I used the grommet on the passenger's side behind the glove box. There wasn't any reason to buck tradition, so my speaker and high-level output wires were run under the sill plates like everyone else does.

I chose not to change the factory head unit, but I did splice 16ga signal wires to the factory harness and ran all four output channels to the trunk where I installed DSP to clean up the signal prior to my amp. Sounds pretty good.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:58 AM   #4
Newbie - Just Registered

Right on, unless you have bose, Nissan typically sends a full range signal from the head unit and they keep the passive crossovers on the actual speakers, I was able to tap into left and right audio from the rear deck 6x9s and run them to my LC2i so it saved a lot of effort and wire tapping in right next to my speakers. 4 wires have me the full range signal for my mono and 4 channel amps.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #5

I completely understand and almost went that way, too. But I just couldn't stomach the thought of the factory 20ga wire carrying the signal, so I was compelled to buck up and run new wires from the front to the trunk.

Next steps are to install another four channels of amplification so I can actively amp all channels with no passive crossovers, install some better 3-1/2s in the rear doors and change the 6.5s I currently have in the rear deck for JL Audio 6" subs (more extension and better power handling).

I can never remember the name of the thread, but if you're interested, search on my username and you can see my install.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:24 AM   #6
Newbie - Just Registered

Nice, sounds like it's gonna end up pretty sick. I'll check it out. I'll try to get some pics up of my whole system too.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

I don't know about sick, but it is certainly a significant upgrade over the factory stereo from the bottom up. Bass has more than one thumpy note, Midrange is coherent and musical without all that bouncing around off the windshield and the highs have quickness and articulation. I am looking for a little more bottom end, but don't want the trunk rattling associated with dual 12s with 1000W in the trunk.

There isn't much to see in the "end" photos since I was trying to maintain the factory look overall. I chose to keep the stock head unit and add DSP to keep the dash intact. All speakers have been replaced, but my new drivers are in factory locations. Except for my tweeters. That DSP is powerful stuff. As you can imagine, the factory speaker locations aren't optimal, but with DSP everything comes together really well. My home gear still sounds better, but it weighs 500 lb, of course.