Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

About the rear and front speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 05:59 PM

About the rear and front speakers

Just wondering, if i was to go with Boston Acoustics 6 1/2 FX6 speakers for my rear, is there a problem with getting 2 sets, 4 speakers so i can replace the fronts also. I often get confused by the term Components and Coaxils. The rears i think are always referred to as coaxils, but i want to make sure i am not making a mistake by replacing all 4 speakers with the same kind. Is that what you are suppose to do?

Thanks

bryan
Old 03-06-2002, 01:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: About the rear and front speakers

Originally posted by jag5311
Just wondering, if i was to go with Boston Acoustics 6 1/2 FX6 speakers for my rear, is there a problem with getting 2 sets, 4 speakers so i can replace the fronts also. I often get confused by the term Components and Coaxils. The rears i think are always referred to as coaxils, but i want to make sure i am not making a mistake by replacing all 4 speakers with the same kind. Is that what you are suppose to do?

Thanks

bryan

Coaxial just means that woofer and tweeter share the same axis, i.e. the tweeter is suspended above the woofer. This saves on space. Component speakers have a separate tweeter and woofer so you can place the tweeter wherever and the woofer goes in the convention location.
You can get either for front or rear, depending on what you want to spend and how much space you have. Typically separates or components are going to sound better bacuase you can control where the treble comes from.
Old 03-09-2002, 12:06 PM

Re: Re: About the rear and front speakers

Originally posted by slam2b

Coaxial just means that woofer and tweeter share the same axis, i.e. the tweeter is suspended above the woofer. This saves on space. Component speakers have a separate tweeter and woofer so you can place the tweeter wherever and the woofer goes in the convention location.
You can get either for front or rear, depending on what you want to spend and how much space you have. Typically separates or components are going to sound better bacuase you can control where the treble comes from.
Most people would probably say get the componets for the front and coaxs for the rear, most of the time the rear speakers are more of fillers to round out the experience your front highs give. Usually componets cost a little bit more money, but the sound quality is better because you have two seperate speakers, like a house system. Do you have an amp pushing these? Or will you be running them off of your head unit?
Old 03-11-2002, 06:52 PM

well, see here is the situation. I have not purchased the speakers yet, nor have i purchased an amp for the speakers. What i kinda want to know is if it is necessary to get another amp for the speakers. Is the maxima head unit (factory) strong enough to power 4 boston acoustics 6 1/2 speakers. If not, well then i will have to get an amp, which i believe would be a 4 channel. I want better sound, but i am not looking to enter compititions, so i don't want to spend too much. I was just planning on buying the 4 speakers, regardless of if they are components or coaxils. Will it still sound good if i just use all 4 in the car that are the same?
Old 03-11-2002, 07:43 PM

Components will definately sound better but you don't have to get them.You could just put 4 coaxials in your car and get them amplfied by a amp that would sound good.Personally i feel the head unit is the main key to making the front and rear speakers sound good
Old 03-12-2002, 06:06 AM

Originally posted by sureal00
Components will definately sound better but you don't have to get them.You could just put 4 coaxials in your car and get them amplfied by a amp that would sound good.Personally i feel the head unit is the main key to making the front and rear speakers sound good
If you just want to use the headunit stick with the coaxs. Both the coaxs and the componets would sound better off of an amp though. But you can get a drastic improvement just by replacing those paper speakers with aftermarket ones. You don't have the Bose system do you?
Old 03-12-2002, 07:29 AM

nope. I had a hook up for bose speakers though, but no system, so i cant do it. Just found out though that if i get an Eclipse Cd player, and use Boston Acoustic 6 1/2 speakers, they can be powered off the eclipse head unit, so i don't have to fork out the money for an amp. That makes me happy
Old 03-12-2002, 07:37 AM

nope. I had a hook up for bose speakers though, but no system, so i cant do it. Just found out though that if i get an Eclipse Cd player, and use Boston Acoustic 6 1/2 speakers, they can be powered off the eclipse head unit, so i don't have to fork out the money for an amp. That makes me happy
If you had the bose system you need to make sure you have already bypassed the amps with your existing wiring. Otherwise you will have to run new wire directly from your head unit to the speakers. The bose speakers operate at 1 ohm while most aftermarket head-units and speakers operate at 4. Make sure you aren't using the bose amps in your wiring.
Old 03-12-2002, 08:35 AM

like i said earlier, i do not have a bose system, and the car never had one. The speakers are panesonic 4 ohm speakers. That is why i am changing them, that and the fact that they are blown.
Old 03-13-2002, 06:05 AM

like i said earlier, i do not have a bose system, and the car never had one. The speakers are panesonic 4 ohm speakers. That is why i am changing them, that and the fact that they are blown.
sorry I didn't read the last post correctly Be glad you don't have the bose, as soon as you start trying to replace things it seems to become a headache. You should be good to go with that deck, I have never had one but everybody has good things to say about Eclipse decks. Do you know how many watts its rated at?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:01 AM

Well, i don't know the details, but located at www.eclipse-web.com i found this. Its model number 54410

ESN (ECLIPSE Security Network)
* Integrated Optics Pick-Up Unit
* CD Changer Control with Daisy Chain
* Digital Servo System (DSS)
* ECLIPSE STARTUNER V
* ASM
* 24 Station Presets (18FM/6AM) & Preset Scan
* High-Voltage (2.7V) & Low-Impedance (330) Output
* 3 Pairs of RCA Pre-Amp Outputs
* Independent Bass/Treble Memory for Each Source
* Non-Fading RCA Pre-Out Terminals for Subwoofer
* 13W x 4 (2020,000Hz, 0.8% THD, 4)
* Cellular Telephone Mute
* *** Rotary Volume Encoder
* Large 13-Segment LCD
* ECLIPSE LAN Advanced Date Link System
* Remote Control Ready with Optional One

hopefully that answers your question. I just want to make sure i won't have to buy another amp, since i have one for my subwoofer, i am just hoping this unit has enough power to push on those boston acoustic speakers.

here is the specs on the speakers if you want to see whether this would work or not

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...p?ProductID=84

thanks for the help
bryan
Old 03-13-2002, 07:09 AM

Well, i don't know the details, but located at www.eclipse-web.com i found this. Its model number 54410

ESN (ECLIPSE Security Network)
* Integrated Optics Pick-Up Unit
* CD Changer Control with Daisy Chain
* Digital Servo System (DSS)
* ECLIPSE STARTUNER V
* ASM
* 24 Station Presets (18FM/6AM) & Preset Scan
* High-Voltage (2.7V) & Low-Impedance (330) Output
* 3 Pairs of RCA Pre-Amp Outputs
* Independent Bass/Treble Memory for Each Source
* Non-Fading RCA Pre-Out Terminals for Subwoofer
* 13W x 4 (2020,000Hz, 0.8% THD, 4)
* Cellular Telephone Mute
* *** Rotary Volume Encoder
* Large 13-Segment LCD
* ECLIPSE LAN Advanced Date Link System
* Remote Control Ready with Optional One

hopefully that answers your question. I just want to make sure i won't have to buy another amp, since i have one for my subwoofer, i am just hoping this unit has enough power to push on those boston acoustic speakers.

here is the specs on the speakers if you want to see whether this would work or not

http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Produ...p?ProductID=84

thanks for the help
bryan

I mean I am sure it will push them but those are definitely designed to be run off of an external amp. The RMS range is 12-100, so they are serious speakers. The most real power you will get off a deck is like 30 watts...yours says its got about 12...So I would say you could probably save some money and get a lower end speaker, or spend another 75-100 bucks and get a four channel amp to push them. What kind of sub set up do you have?
Old 03-13-2002, 07:22 AM

well, all i have is an

1 10 inch JL AUDIO Subwoofer

1 Alpine V12 MRH-100m amp

its not hooked up yet though. Well, the funny thing is Maxima Dave, who is hooking me up with those speakers, says the FX line is made to be run off the deck. That is just what he told me
Old 03-13-2002, 07:31 AM

well, all i have is an

1 10 inch JL AUDIO Subwoofer

1 Alpine V12 MRH-100m amp

its not hooked up yet though. Well, the funny thing is Maxima Dave, who is hooking me up with those speakers, says the FX line is made to be run off the deck. That is just what he told me
Well MaximaDave definitely knows what he is talking about so I would go off what he says. I assume you are getting the head unit from him as well? Can't hurt to try it out, its not like they won't play or anything But if you are going to add that sub I would think you would need more highs then you are going to get off of that deck..But like I said MaximaDave knows his stuff, he won't lead you wrong.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:36 AM

actually, i have a mix of individuals offering me their services. I am getting the cd player from Sweetsound, which I understand knows his stuff very well also.

But i can also tell you know your stuff to. Don't think i am blowing your opinion off. I always like to get 2nd opinions from doctors, and I won't be any different when it comes to stuff like this
Old 03-13-2002, 10:07 AM

actually, i have a mix of individuals offering me their services. I am getting the cd player from Sweetsound, which I understand knows his stuff very well also.

But i can also tell you know your stuff to. Don't think i am blowing your opinion off. I always like to get 2nd opinions from doctors, and I won't be any different when it comes to stuff like this
\

Yeah sweetsound knows his stuff as well, did MaximaDave know that was the headunit you were planning on using? Did he also know you were going to have the sub?
Old 03-13-2002, 10:22 AM

Yea, I have had several conversations with him about using the Eclipse Head unit and the boston speakers. See, i had a Grand Am, 1999, and had the sub in it. It was all i had and it worked fine with the head unit and speakers. I don't know anything about this stuff though. I guess there would be a possibility I would need an amp, but from what maxima dave had told me, it wasn't completely necessary. I think i will bring it up to him again.

thanks

bryan
Old 03-13-2002, 10:24 AM

Yea, I have had several conversations with him about using the Eclipse Head unit and the boston speakers. See, i had a Grand Am, 1999, and had the sub in it. It was all i had and it worked fine with the head unit and speakers. I don't know anything about this stuff though. I guess there would be a possibility I would need an amp, but from what maxima dave had told me, it wasn't completely necessary. I think i will bring it up to him again.

thanks

bryan
I mean it won't hurt you to try it without the amp, and then if you feel that you don't have enough highs then you can get another amp. If you had it in your old car with stock? set up than you will probably be happy with just the head unit and speakers. If Dave said you should be alright with that combo then you will be fine.
Old 03-13-2002, 11:29 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by sureal00
Actually, the components will not necessarily sound better. In some cases, coaxials are actually better since all the sound is coming from the same source thus eliminating phase shift. The problem is that most coaxials use just a tiny cap on the tweeter and let the woofer roll off naturally when a component typically uses a better crossover and allows you to vary tweeter placement.

Originally posted by time2reup

If you just want to use the headunit stick with the coaxs. Both the coaxs and the componets would sound better off of an amp though. But you can get a drastic improvement just by replacing those paper speakers with aftermarket ones. You don't have the Bose system do you?
The main problem with the factory stereo is a lack of power. When you turn the volume up, distortion is produced making your speakes sound horrible. You can make your factory speakers sound like you never thought possible if you give them a nice clean signal from a power amplifier. When you replace them, there will be a bigger improvement overall but not as big as adding a power amp.

Anton
Old 03-14-2002, 07:24 AM

Hey Sweetsound. I sent you a check 2 days ago just to let you know. It is for the amount you and I discussed about, for the Eclipse Cd Player