Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Do I need a power cap ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2002, 07:54 AM

Do I need a power cap ??

I am installing a JL 500/1 with two MTX 12's...DO I need a power cap on this system ???
Old 03-04-2002, 08:41 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

It wouldn't hurt...
Old 03-04-2002, 11:35 AM

Re: Do I need a power cap ??

Originally posted by Black90SE
I am installing a JL 500/1 with two MTX 12's...DO I need a power cap on this system ???
Well, if your lights start blinking, then I would add one. If you add another amplifier, I would add one anyways, not to overpower your alternator.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:35 PM

What size cap ?? .5, 1.0 ??
Old 03-04-2002, 01:06 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Well the rule of thumb is 1 farad for every 1000watts RMS of system power. You do the math.

Although I have a 1 farad on my 270w RMS system.
Old 03-04-2002, 01:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Black90SE
What size cap ?? .5, 1.0 ??

The price difference between my Lightning Audio .5 versus 1.0 farad caps was only $60 or so so I went with the 1 farad version. Worth having with any dynamic music that may stress momentarily the amps caps current. I have mine connecting to both my sub amp and my mid-high end amp. Read the latest Autosound and Security I believe and it has an install with 3 Phoenix Gold 15 farad caps in it....Unbelievable!
Old 03-05-2002, 02:50 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

srbarnes...

I noticed that you said you have only one cap for two amps. I was thinking about doing that (since I'm only planning to run 900W RMS with my setup). I was curious, did you wire your cap before the distro block or afterwards? It seems to make sense to wire it before the distro block if you're going to have the two amps share the cap's power. Please let me know how you set yours up. I'm planning my system out carefully, and I'm thinking about getting a Lightning Audio 1-Farad Cap for both of my amps, even though I figure that the subwoofer amp would be better served to get the cap than the one for the mids/highs. I hope that wasn't confusing.

BTW - nice seat heater!

peace2u
Old 03-05-2002, 04:18 PM

Re: srbarnes...

Originally posted by Pit5Bull
I noticed that you said you have only one cap for two amps. I was thinking about doing that (since I'm only planning to run 900W RMS with my setup). I was curious, did you wire your cap before the distro block or afterwards? It seems to make sense to wire it before the distro block if you're going to have the two amps share the cap's power. Please let me know how you set yours up. I'm planning my system out carefully, and I'm thinking about getting a Lightning Audio 1-Farad Cap for both of my amps, even though I figure that the subwoofer amp would be better served to get the cap than the one for the mids/highs. I hope that wasn't confusing.

BTW - nice seat heater!

peace2u
Well, you have to have the Cap before 2 amps are being seperated. It needs to hold the total of not more then 1000watts - 1farad. So I would feed both amps with one Lightning Audio Cap.
Old 03-05-2002, 06:33 PM
FJC

Re: Do I need a power cap ??

Originally posted by SilverBullet98
Get one anyway...
Old 03-06-2002, 05:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Pit bull5....

My installer talked me into using the cap AS my distro block; so I have 4 gauge wire from the battery to the cap then 2 short (~ 4 - 6 inches) connections of 4 gauge wire going from the cap to each amp. I plan to add a distro block later as a failsafe and before starting to compete, but I figure I have a 3 yr no downtime gaurantee from them so I'm OK for now without it. Once I add a distro. block I'll likely put the cap after the block and use it only on the sub amp though; everything I've read and been told is to have it as close as possible to the amp so putting it before the block just adds distance.
Thanks for checkin' my homepage....I need to work on it some more soon, gotta a few upgrades first though, gonna change from an 8" to a 10 or 12" sub in the rear deck to get me some deeper low freq. extension. Thinking about trying to cram an 8" in the doors up front and move the mids to some kick panel pods to further tighten up the front stage midbass. Too bad I'm broke right now.....but brighter days are coming!
Old 03-06-2002, 12:49 PM

Re: Hey Pit bull5....

Originally posted by srbarnes4ever
My installer talked me into using the cap AS my distro block; so I have 4 gauge wire from the battery to the cap then 2 short (~ 4 - 6 inches) connections of 4 gauge wire going from the cap to each amp. I plan to add a distro block later as a failsafe and before starting to compete, but I figure I have a 3 yr no downtime gaurantee from them so I'm OK for now without it. Once I add a distro. block I'll likely put the cap after the block and use it only on the sub amp though; everything I've read and been told is to have it as close as possible to the amp so putting it before the block just adds distance.
Thanks for checkin' my homepage....I need to work on it some more soon, gotta a few upgrades first though, gonna change from an 8" to a 10 or 12" sub in the rear deck to get me some deeper low freq. extension. Thinking about trying to cram an 8" in the doors up front and move the mids to some kick panel pods to further tighten up the front stage midbass. Too bad I'm broke right now.....but brighter days are coming!
I would leave midbass in the doors, but deffin. put 8" in the front, where your legs are, down strait. Yep. you're right, it's better to have a cap only on one amp(sub). The other amp doesn't take that much voltage.