Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

connecting basslink sub, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 07:36 PM

connecting basslink sub, need help!

UPS just delivered my basslink and i want to make sure it works ok. I have '98 GLE (bose system). Infinity says that i can just tap into the rear speakers for a signal, and power should come from the battery - but is there a way to get power from the rear speakers instead? i think i read somewhere that the rear bose speakers have their own amps, so i was wondering if i could tap power from there? sorry, i ran a search but i am just too incompetent in the car audio arena . I'd really appreciate the help!
Old 03-13-2002, 04:13 PM

You may want to double check w/ your sub manufacturer. I don't think the BOSE signal is the same as a HIGH LEVEL input. I think you'll need a seperate converter. As far as using the speakers power supply for the sub I wouldn't recommend this - your sub will probably want a good bit more power. Your best bet would be to run a wire all the way from the battery to the amp and then just chassis ground the amp within 18 inches of the amp. Hope this helps. BTW a friend of mine just installed one in his car and it sounds pretty sweet.
Old 03-13-2002, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Toolrocks
You may want to double check w/ your sub manufacturer. I don't think the BOSE signal is the same as a HIGH LEVEL input. I think you'll need a seperate converter. As far as using the speakers power supply for the sub I wouldn't recommend this - your sub will probably want a good bit more power. Your best bet would be to run a wire all the way from the battery to the amp and then just chassis ground the amp within 18 inches of the amp. Hope this helps. BTW a friend of mine just installed one in his car and it sounds pretty sweet.
i got this off a faq by maxima owner russell zotz:

"Now You need the PAC box....which you can purchase from Circuit City. What this box does, it transforms the 1 ohm Bose signal to the normal ohm signal that most stereos use today to hook up amps, etc. It has 6 wires on it, 2 are brown and those are grounds, and no need to connect them per instructions. The other 4 are the speakers which are the ones you need to tap into the left and right channels + & - sides....on the other end of this box are RCA female connectors which you will connect a RCA cable into and run it to your crossover"

..is this what you are talking about?
Old 03-14-2002, 10:59 AM

Originally posted by ne max

i got this off a faq by maxima owner russell zotz:

"Now You need the PAC box....which you can purchase from Circuit City. What this box does, it transforms the 1 ohm Bose signal to the normal ohm signal that most stereos use today to hook up amps, etc. It has 6 wires on it, 2 are brown and those are grounds, and no need to connect them per instructions. The other 4 are the speakers which are the ones you need to tap into the left and right channels + & - sides....on the other end of this box are RCA female connectors which you will connect a RCA cable into and run it to your crossover"

..is this what you are talking about?
Yes, that is exactly it. You also understood what I meant about the power supply for the Basslink?
Old 03-14-2002, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Toolrocks

Yes, that is exactly it. You also understood what I meant about the power supply for the Basslink?
yup, i'm going to go ahead and run a wire to the battery. thanks.