Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Let me get this straight

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 10:22 AM

Let me get this straight

If i run an Eclipse Head Unit that has 13 watts x 4 channels of output power, and i am connecting 4 speakers (Boston Acoustic 6 1/2)(2 in the front doors, 2 in the rear), now these speakers require a minimum of 12 watts up to a max of 100 watts. Many of you have suggested running 2 of the speakers off the head unit and 2 off another amp. Now, if the speakers require a min of 12 watts and my eclipse unit only provides 13watts, what effect will that have on my music? 1 watt doesn't seem like much. So if i was to get a 2nd amp (since i have 1 for my sub anyways) would it be best to get a 2 channel and only run 2 speakers off it, or just get a 4 channel and run all 4. Some of you have said that my speakers will run fine just off the head unit, but like i said, there is only 1 watt of power extra from the minimum required. Let me know your thoughts.

bryan
Old 03-15-2002, 12:51 PM

Re: Let me get this straight

Originally posted by jag5311
If i run an Eclipse Head Unit that has 13 watts x 4 channels of output power, and i am connecting 4 speakers (Boston Acoustic 6 1/2)(2 in the front doors, 2 in the rear), now these speakers require a minimum of 12 watts up to a max of 100 watts. Many of you have suggested running 2 of the speakers off the head unit and 2 off another amp. Now, if the speakers require a min of 12 watts and my eclipse unit only provides 13watts, what effect will that have on my music? 1 watt doesn't seem like much. So if i was to get a 2nd amp (since i have 1 for my sub anyways) would it be best to get a 2 channel and only run 2 speakers off it, or just get a 4 channel and run all 4. Some of you have said that my speakers will run fine just off the head unit, but like i said, there is only 1 watt of power extra from the minimum required. Let me know your thoughts.

bryan
All of those numbers are just recomendations, and it really depends on what you want out of your system. You can run the highs off a four or two channel amp depending on how you wire them. Only thing you will loose on the two channel would be the ability to fade from front to rear. If you have the money to get the other amp just hold on to it and put the other stuff in first. Then you can decide if you like how the highs sound or if you need more juice to them. If you do run the second amp you might need a couple other things, distribution block, maybe heavier gauge wire. But for the most part it won't be that difficult to add the second amp if you do decide that you need it after the fact.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:18 PM

Depends on how loud you want to go. With more power, you can go louder before distortion. If you really don't go too loud, see how it sounds first without the extra amp. But if you do not want to cut corners, or your bass is too overpowering, get a good 4 channel amp, or at least amp the fronts and let the rear speakers act as fill from the head unit.
Old 03-15-2002, 01:26 PM

Originally posted by AudioMan
Depends on how loud you want to go. With more power, you can go louder before distortion. If you really don't go too loud, see how it sounds first without the extra amp. But if you do not want to cut corners, or your bass is too overpowering, get a good 4 channel amp, or at least amp the fronts and let the rear speakers act as fill from the head unit.
I wasn't really telling him to cut corners, he had the sub in his old car without any other amps. So if the overall performance was good enough then it might be good enough now, especially with the quality of speakers and head unit he is buying.
Old 03-15-2002, 04:11 PM

well here is the latest in my quest for a sound system

Went to Dr. Dashboard, a place here in evansville Indiana that do car audio. I was getting an estimate for installation. Here is what the guy gave me.

I explained my situation to him and wanted to know what it would cost to replace my 4 speakers in the car, install the new eclipse unit, and hook up my subwoofer.

Here is what he gave me, and you guyslet me know if i am getting jipped or not.

I had talked to him about an additional amp, and he tried to talk me into a Kenwood 4 channel amp for about 200 bucks. Didn't go for it. But with the idea of a 2nd amp in the car, he recommeneded a 4 gauge Pro Power Distribution Kit which costs $112.40. Then he said that i would need a "cage", those weren't his words, but its like the thing the cd player would sit in. If any of you have taken out your factory and installed an aftermarket in a 1998 maxima, maybe you will know what i mean. he made it sound like i would need some extra wiring and stuff for the cd player. I thought that stuff would come with the cd player. Then the labor would cost me 205 bucks. So it grand total, it would cost me $348.01 for all of that.

All that is jibberish to me, so that is where i need all of your helps.

Thanks, you guys have been real supportive. now i am off to EBAY to find a cheap amp

oh by the way, for an amp, how many watts would i need, for a 2nd one.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:19 AM

well here is the latest in my quest for a sound system

Went to Dr. Dashboard, a place here in evansville Indiana that do car audio. I was getting an estimate for installation. Here is what the guy gave me.

I explained my situation to him and wanted to know what it would cost to replace my 4 speakers in the car, install the new eclipse unit, and hook up my subwoofer.

Here is what he gave me, and you guyslet me know if i am getting jipped or not.

I had talked to him about an additional amp, and he tried to talk me into a Kenwood 4 channel amp for about 200 bucks. Didn't go for it. But with the idea of a 2nd amp in the car, he recommeneded a 4 gauge Pro Power Distribution Kit which costs $112.40. Then he said that i would need a "cage", those weren't his words, but its like the thing the cd player would sit in. If any of you have taken out your factory and installed an aftermarket in a 1998 maxima, maybe you will know what i mean. he made it sound like i would need some extra wiring and stuff for the cd player. I thought that stuff would come with the cd player. Then the labor would cost me 205 bucks. So it grand total, it would cost me $348.01 for all of that.

All that is jibberish to me, so that is where i need all of your helps.

Thanks, you guys have been real supportive. now i am off to EBAY to find a cheap amp

oh by the way, for an amp, how many watts would i need, for a 2nd one.
If you had bought the amp new from certain places most of the installation wiring would be included. I would ask sweetsound if he is sending the wiring harness along with the CD player. If not you could get one from crutchfield for like twenty bones. But if you are going to let them do the install I would see how much money that will save you. I'm not sure about the cage thing b/c I have an older max than yours. The four gage wiring kit sounds like the right thing for you. You will need to make sure you are getting a distribution block so you can split that four gage wire into two eights to run to each of your amps. In my car I have a 35x4 and its plenty...just make sure you get a quality amp that will actually give you the watts it claims...

Old 03-18-2002, 06:50 AM

many people are telling me an 8 gauge would be just fine for my situation. they think 4 gauge is a little overboard.

well this place is charging me 16 bucks for a metra, which is that thing for the cd player, so that isn't bad.
Old 03-18-2002, 06:59 AM

many people are telling me an 8 gauge would be just fine for my situation. they think 4 gauge is a little overboard.

well this place is charging me 16 bucks for a metra, which is that thing for the cd player, so that isn't bad.
Aren't you running two amps off this set up though? How many watts is coming off of your sub amp?
Old 03-18-2002, 07:06 AM

Hey time2setup, check out my other post about the gauge wire on the main electronics page, i give the links to both amps. It would probably be easier checking those out then me explaining it.

bryan