Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Rainbows vs MBquarts vs Focal

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 02:53 PM

Rainbows vs MBquarts vs Focal

Hey guys!

We are making test comparison, for the most "natural" and "enjoyable to listen" sound, what do you think will win:

Midranges and tweeters combo:

Rainbow Pro series
MB Quart Q series
Focal Utopia series

Try to make a bet.
I would really enjoy your answers

THANX A LOT!!!
Old 03-19-2002, 03:25 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Re: Rainbows vs MBquarts vs Focal

Originally posted by Mikesburn
Hey guys!

We are making test comparison, for the most "natural" and "enjoyable to listen" sound, what do you think will win:

Midranges and tweeters combo:

Rainbow Pro series
MB Quart Q series
Focal Utopia series

Try to make a bet.
I would really enjoy your answers

THANX A LOT!!!
I prefer Boston or Eclipse but out of your 3 choices I'll say Focal
Old 03-19-2002, 04:52 PM
Disco Biscuit

Focal Utopias. Of course theres always Dynaudio.
Old 03-19-2002, 05:52 PM

sig
Old 03-19-2002, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I actually prefer Diamond Audio, Boston Acoustics, or A/D/S, but from the ones you mentioned, I would choose Focal Utopias.
Old 03-19-2002, 08:46 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Im wit C-Dawg. I def prefer Diamond Audio. But....I would stick wit Focal out of the three.
Old 03-19-2002, 09:40 PM
STFU n00b!

I'll take my Focals any day of the week.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:49 PM

focals...
Old 03-19-2002, 11:08 PM

actually..the Super High-End Rainbow set..will own everyone..ahhaha..but its 7000 for a pair of 6 1/2"s and tweeters/crossovers...but Focal Utopias will own that list.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:57 AM

Focal Utopia/Polykevlar are not on par with Rainbow Pro set. Out of all you recomendations I wonder how many of you actually listened to a Pro set in a good install. Focals are nice speakers but their tweeters and xovers are horrible. Rainbow Pro's have the same detail Foclal gives you but it is not harsh or sibilant at higher volumes. Unless you use Focal Pk/Utopia with their home TRL tweeter and upgraded xovers they are no match for Rainbow Pro's. As far as MB Quart goes, any of their products (xept QSD) should be destroyed or burned.

The only competition that was mentioned was Dynaudio drivers. To me they sound as good. Problems arise when you try to use their midranges to create soundstage. They are home speakers, they dont aim...ooops.
Old 03-20-2002, 10:00 AM

Originally posted by retrodrive
Focal Utopia/Polykevlar are not on par with Rainbow Pro set. Out of all you recomendations I wonder how many of you actually listened to a Pro set in a good install. Focals are nice speakers but their tweeters and xovers are horrible. Rainbow Pro's have the same detail Foclal gives you but it is not harsh or sibilant at higher volumes. Unless you use Focal Pk/Utopia with their home TRL tweeter and upgraded xovers they are no match for Rainbow Pro's. As far as MB Quart goes, any of their products (xept QSD) should be destroyed or burned.

The only competition that was mentioned was Dynaudio drivers. To me they sound as good. Problems arise when you try to use their midranges to create soundstage. They are home speakers, they dont aim...ooops.

Wow, you speak exactly like I do!!!

Good job.
I expect Rainbows to win anyways. Of course Dynaudio is the competitor, but freeking angle, you're right, doesn't work in the car as good.

Right now I cannot listen to MB quarts at all, so freekin dry and harsh, only on high levels though.
Thanx for answering!!!
Old 03-20-2002, 11:22 AM

For a better comparison, you should compare specific sizes, product lines, and price. I mean is paying 3 times as much for a different brand name worth 5%-10% better performance? It would be a more accurate comparison to judge 6 1/2 component sets under say $450-$500. Rainbow makes some serious speakers but some are just unGodly as far as price is concerned. I mean, are they worth THAT MUCH more or are YOU willing to pay THAT MUCH more?
Old 03-20-2002, 11:31 AM

You are probably talking about Rainbow Refference set $7000 retail? I am not even bring those into conversation though. Its just another level of speakers. Considering that Rainbow Pro's cost much less then Focal Utopias or MBQ QSDs, I think you get one heluva bargain.
Old 03-20-2002, 11:40 AM

Price to Sound ratio......Im sticking strongly with my Diamonds.
Old 03-20-2002, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by Pearl96Max
It's getting hot in here

Thanx for all your replies!
Old 03-20-2002, 04:38 PM

hey..anyone heard of realistic? theyre..SUPER!
Old 03-20-2002, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by chinaonnitrous1
hey..anyone heard of realistic? theyre..SUPER!
Old 03-21-2002, 12:02 AM

Old 03-21-2002, 12:12 AM

or..how about Kraco....im sure someone's used thoes before...they used to be sold a Grand auto...orange foam surrounds on the 6x9"s..square midranges..and tweeters...5 ounce magnet..thoes..would dominate dynaaudio's too...but seriously..i belive that if the installation of these components is done properly (proper enclousres...aiming of the tweeter as well as location) and the proper amplifier is used...these 3 brands will totally blow your mind..unless your are going into pure competition.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:38 AM

My thoughts exactly!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 01:25 PM

Depends on: What car they go in, What size they are (6.5 or less), in the kicks, doors or dash, custom mount or not, sealed or infinte baffle, power, amps, processing, or just out of box?

But out of box i'd take the qsd's. tuned; Qsd mid 6.5, and focal utopia tweet, in the kick, infinite baffle metel removed and recesed, of of a Zapco amp of course . And the new Zapco Digital piece.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:46 PM

Bastard! You can get the Zapco piece already! I am waiting on IDONE. That Zapco thingy is just not for me.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:33 PM

Bastard! You can get the Zapco piece already! I am waiting on IDONE. That Zapco thingy is just not for me.
How dare you talking like this about Zapco???!!!
Just kiddin'
Old 03-22-2002, 01:42 AM

Oh I like that Zapco, I just wanna get the IDONE to be consistent. That Zapco piece is awesome! They know their $hit as far as processors go!
Old 03-22-2002, 11:53 AM

Oh I like that Zapco, I just wanna get the IDONE to be consistent. That Zapco piece is awesome! They know their $hit as far as processors go!
Old 03-22-2002, 02:43 PM

Not just processers amps too, but then again thats all they build. I wish you much much, Good luck with getting an id one.
Old 03-22-2002, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

Not just processers amps too, but then again thats all they build. I wish you much much, Good luck with getting an id one.
trust me, he'll get it even before they come out.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'LL KEEP MY FOCAL'S, BUT ONLY WITH MY TN-46 TWEETERS, THE NEW ONE IS A LITTLE TO HARSH
Old 03-22-2002, 08:16 PM

Thx ...waiting

tn-45is supposed to be the harshest one of them all. The tn-51 is better but still harsh. Their best tweeters are TLR but they cost a lot of cash. Probably your tn-45 are attenuated 2 or 4 db's and you listened to tn-51with all the dbs going to it. Thus, it may seemed harsher. Usually it is a bit softer then tn45.
Old 03-23-2002, 12:17 PM

guys you all talking high-end speakers, but what about the stuff that you see in stores..like Rockford Fosgate components or whatever they carry in Best Buy. Anyone has those?
Old 03-23-2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
guys you all talking high-end speakers, but what about the stuff that you see in stores..like Rockford Fosgate components or whatever they carry in Best Buy. Anyone has those?
These are in stores too, just usally have to specail order them. If you'd like I'm sure there could be another purley up to argument post, about mid level brands too. But keep in mind it's all very up to personal opinion and setup. Go out listen to anything you can find(in car, I suggest comp shows) and come up with your own opinion with alot of different setups and see what you think.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:10 PM

These are in stores too, just usally have to specail order them. If you'd like I'm sure there could be another purley up to argument post, about mid level brands too. But keep in mind it's all very up to personal opinion and setup. Go out listen to anything you can find(in car, I suggest comp shows) and come up with your own opinion with alot of different setups and see what you think.
Well said, well said.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:44 PM

hese are in stores too, just usally have to specail order them. If you'd like I'm sure there could be another purley up to argument post, about mid level brands too. But keep in mind it's all very up to personal opinion and setup. Go out listen to anything you can find(in car, I suggest comp shows) and come up with your own opinion with alot of different setups and see what you think.
exactly-where do you find that stuff? If I dont know anyone who has an MB Quart in their car..
Old 03-24-2002, 12:48 AM

Go to a few audio shops in your area. Not the BB, CC and GG but the smaller ones. Just don't get dealer fool you and don't buy anything withought posting here...dealers get paid to lie to you...we don't get paid for advice
Old 03-24-2002, 09:14 AM

damn I just learned one of my friends bought speakers for his 4th gen. Polk components + 6.5 for rear, alltogether 80 dollars..everything used, but still a good deal. Damn
Old 03-24-2002, 12:01 PM

exactly-where do you find that stuff? If I dont know anyone who has an MB Quart in their car..
You woun't find any of the high end stuff in chain stores, you have to find good mom/pop shops that have it. Try to hit Iasca.com, and slap.com, and usac.com to see what shows are in your area hit them, and ask nicely the competers that are there if you can listen to there cars once theve been judged, most will let you and you can hear different types of setups and diff equipment.
Old 03-24-2002, 12:56 PM

They are not considered High end stuff by the judges on the competitions, because as I already said they may not meet some aspects, which high-end audio has. These brands don't have an option to be the best, they just try to make enogh margin (Cost is cheap, price is pretty high)

Although, many of those speakers sound pretty good for general use. Best of all these guys I consider Kenwood Exelones. They are just 200 bucks but sound pretty musical, other then that Rainbows Pro definately, the stuff we're talking about here!

They win all the comps, even when they compete with Utopia, which I also respect.
Old 03-24-2002, 03:40 PM

I would suggest going to MB Quart's website, as well as other websites and use the dealer find function at each one to find a dealer that lives in your area.

Here are just a few sites for you:

MB Quart Dealer Locator
http://www.mbquart.com/dealer.htm

Focal Dealer Locator
http://www.focal-america.com/locator/main.asp

Rockford Fosgate Dealer Locator
http://rockets2.rockfordcorp.com/is-...SDealerLocator

Rainbow
http://www.rainbow-car-audio.com/home/

Diamond Audio Dealer Locator
http://www.diamondaudio.com/car/

Infinity Dealer Locator
http://208.246.13.150/infinitycar/

Boston Acoustics Dealer Locator
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Dealers.asp

A/D/S Dealer Locator
http://www.adst.com/pages/mtemplate.html

Edit.. one link was messed up.. I fixed it and copied into the FAQ sticky up top. thanks for the info.
Old 03-24-2002, 09:53 PM

Thanx C-Dawg
Old 03-25-2002, 02:15 AM

Well done man! That is pretty useful to me too

Quick Reply: Rainbows vs MBquarts vs Focal