Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

HELP-Installing New HU (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2002, 08:42 PM

HELP-Installing New HU (please help)

I wanted to install a new stereo but I could not take get AC Vents out. In the directions I found on maximadriver.com it sais to take pop out from the top the Ac vents. I just couldn't, they were sitting in there pretty tight and I was afraid I was gonna break it. I own 98GLE. Please does anyone know how to take out the pieces so that I can get to my stereo??. any websites with pictures etc??. PLEASE HELP.
Old 03-21-2002, 09:38 PM

the best help i can give u is use a flat head screw driver and snap up under the vent .there are some clips there once they get kinda loose you can work on getting the vent piece out.Make sure you don't grab on the vent fin and try pulling from there because putting that little vent fin back into the vent piece is tricky
Old 03-21-2002, 10:38 PM

Re: HELP-Installing New HU (please help)

Originally posted by EuroPhreak
I wanted to install a new stereo but I could not take get AC Vents out. In the directions I found on maximadriver.com it sais to take pop out from the top the Ac vents. I just couldn't, they were sitting in there pretty tight and I was afraid I was gonna break it. I own 98GLE. Please does anyone know how to take out the pieces so that I can get to my stereo??. any websites with pictures etc??. PLEASE HELP.
yeah, it's easier if you get the one clip that is on the top out, before the two ( one on the left and one on the right ) on the bottom. it'll seem like your gonna break something but just be firm and careful when you use the screwdriver to get the top one out. if you have to take the bottoms ones out first, they're easier. but when pullin it, pull it directly towards you and slightly downwards. this way worked for me.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:33 AM

I did it

It took a while but I got everything out. The hard part was the ac vents and the ash tray-those you really had to pull out hard. I got it all installed right. Oh yeah, for the all the rest of you having trouble remember that if you don't plug in the antena cable you will get that popping noise since antena carries (or is grounded). Also be careful when taking out the screws, I lost one but thankfully I found it way deep in the shifter area. Thank you all for your input and help.
Old 03-23-2002, 11:36 AM

removing stereo

Forgot to post this here: This is very useful page with pics showing you how to remove your stereo unit:

http://carstereohelp.com/stereoremovalNisMax2.htm