Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

What type of box is best for 4th gen trunk?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 02:38 PM

What type of box is best for 4th gen trunk?

I have a 99 max and just got a JL 12W6. Does anyone know what type of box is best for amount of trunk volume in the 4th gen max's? Sealed or ported? Anyone else have only one JL 10 or 12? What type of box did you use, and does it bang?
Gramdacious
Old 04-29-2002, 02:48 PM

If you want it real loud you want ported...but this loses some sq...to most people sealed is the best all around choice.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:15 PM

Hey, i have a 1997 SE and i completely ripped out the Bose system. Check the sig for all my toys. However, i am upgrading to the new clarion vrx925vd. It is a mp3/cdr/cdrw/am/fm/dvd touchscreen. I have seen the model below it, and it is just crazy. I cant wait. OK, sorry, had to show off my new toy... As far as the box goes, i have a 12" solobaric in the back, and it is sealed. The thing hits HARD. However, the only problem is behind the seats there is a big metal board. Some people call it a firewall. It limits a LOT of bass, so if i were you, i would take that out, and figure out what to do. Out of a scale of 100, it takes probably 60% out of the bass that comes to you. When i close my middle armrest in the back, the bass literally traps itself in the trunk, but when it is opened, there is a noticeable difference. So, either way, you are going to hear the bass pretty good. Overall, in my opinion, find a way to take out the firewall, and you will be fine with your sub.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:13 PM
jmax

That's odd, I noticed almost no volume difference with what you referred to as a firewall removed or in place. I did notice a large difference in flex in the rear end of the car. So I covered it in fiberglass and carbon fiber, a layer or two of dampening material and reinstalled. As was said above ported properly can be louder. So if you are looking for the most boom possible go ported or bandpass. But a single twelve in a sealed box can thump really hard in a maxima.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The best type of the box? Everyone has their opinions. Here's mine.

Old 05-01-2002, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001
The best type of the box? Everyone has their opinions. Here's mine.

That looks tight. Is it sealed or ported? I noticed you had cloth interior, I used to sell maximas and bought a stripped GXE. I threw Katzkin leather in for about $800 wholesale and had the nicest custom leather in town, even on the doors. Anyways, you might just think about it, it adds a lot to your car for cheaper than most people think. Let me know about that box....Peace,
Gamdacious
Old 05-01-2002, 01:32 PM

Re: What type of box is best for 4th gen trunk?

I have two JL 12W6 in a sealed box (1.25)cubic feet firing towards the rear. And a JL 500/1 and it slams. I wanted good sound but realy bump when I want it too. So let me tell ya, just get the sealed box to save space, ported is good also but if you have the power to back it up, a sealed will fine.
Old 05-01-2002, 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Gramdacious

That looks tight. Is it sealed or ported? I noticed you had cloth interior, I used to sell maximas and bought a stripped GXE. I threw Katzkin leather in for about $800 wholesale and had the nicest custom leather in town, even on the doors. Anyways, you might just think about it, it adds a lot to your car for cheaper than most people think. Let me know about that box....Peace,
Gamdacious
Two sealed 12's. I then sold that box about a year ago and built one just like it for two sealed 10's (A/D/S). This is a great design because all the bass goes into the cabin instead of rattling the trunk. I don't have my Maxima anymore. Sold it to my mom and she totaled it last week
I have a Lexus LS400 and I'm in the process of building the stereo for that car. You can visit my Maxima webpage (my homepage link)

Anton
Old 05-01-2002, 01:58 PM

more pics (of my A/D/S box)

Old 05-01-2002, 04:38 PM
FJC

Re: more pics (of my A/D/S box)

Originally posted by SWEETSOUND2001

Someone didn't like their ADS...

Anyway, I personally like ported enclosures for the low-end roll off. I can get all technical or make it simple...

The simplicity is that it all depends what type of music you listen to. Use that as a guideline.

If you listen to rock and like it to slam, sealed usually is the way to go. If you like the low, staggering, heart attack s**t, a ported box is the way to go and the sub runs more efficiently.

You have to make sure you get the right sub. Some subs are "ported" specific meaning that some are only meant to be used in a ported enclosure, etc....

A Bandpass is another option. A 4th order Bandpass gives a nice kick with low-end roll off. It's all what you like.

Go visit your LOCAL audio shop. They are usually keen to your needs and know what to do. Stay away from Tweeter, etc... They carry high end crap but forget about a package deal unless you are in tight with someone that works there...

Hope that helps...

Personally, I am going with 2 12" Rockford Powers in a Ported enclosure (Ported to the rear deck) with a Rockford Power amp. I am not too thrilled with Rockford lately but they have always made s**t pound and I have always had them...
Old 05-01-2002, 06:23 PM
Banned

Re: Re: more pics (of my A/D/S box)

I had a Cerwin Vega 12" in a custom made bandpass enclosure, it took up most of the trunk(pic links below). It really pounded for a single 12, louder than most average dual 12 setups. The box was so big it practically sealed off the ski hole pass through, which resulted in little or no difference in SPL or SQ with the hole open or closed. My new sub is an Orion HCCA 12 in a basic 1.5 cu ft. sealed box. This setup, being much smaller, shows a very noticable increase with the ski hole open. This leads me to believe if you have a big box that blocks off the ski hole then you wont notice a big difference open or closed, if you are dealing with a smaller setup, you will want the ski hole open! Ive always loved the design that 'sweetsound' had in his car. In my opinion, that design or an enclosure that ports through the rear deck, like 'FJC' mentioned, are ideal because the bass fills the passenger cabin not the trunk. Ive included some links to pics of my old setup...hope all this helps :-D

Pics

Warbucks
Old 05-02-2002, 08:16 PM

For my box, it took me about building three different ones to finally getting it right. I have two Kicker C-12's (25th Anniv. edition) and my first box sounded horrible. I had it fire upwards. My second box, I made a port to fire through the rear armrest. This sounded OK, but still not to my liking. And finally, my third box I made a ported-bandpass box with the port firing upwards towards the rear deck. Man, this box pounds! Very tight and efficient bass. What I suggest though, if you have subs that require a sealed enclosure, get a professional installer to give you the theil-parameters on the inside cubic feet dimensions (air volume), and, more importantly, the tuning of the port. Your Max will then "sing" with happiness.
Old 05-03-2002, 11:00 PM

what are your recommendations for someone doing a box for only 1 sub, a 10 inch sub. You can view what mine currently looks like right here.

http://www.gamecubecheats.net/speakers/ampsubsmall.jpg

Now, those 2 amps are attached to a board that is covering the arm rest hole. The sub is facing where toward the back (where you can see it if you open the trunk). I have a piece of ply wood attached to the top of the box that is attached to the board holding the amps. Its all stable, but i am wondering if its the most efficient. How hard would it be to make something similar to what JL audio does, for the stealth box.

you can see it here

http://www.jlaudio.com/stealthbox/maxima.html

thanks
bryan
Old 05-05-2002, 08:30 AM
jmax

Recreating a similar box would be easy. But every sub would sound different in the same style of box. And tuning the sub to the box, and the box to the car would be difficult. JL audio has a lot of raw data for their drivers and fairly complex computer software for box modeling. So for them the complete setup was not difficult. But for the average home installer or even a good audio shop it may take several attempts to get one that has the same good sound results.

Old 05-05-2002, 11:20 AM

anyone have any idea what it would cost to just buy the box they use, and then i would put in my own sub, so that way i don't have to buy it with their 10 inch sub they would supply?

Would it sound any better in the spot they recommend, in that back left location? Is that also a BOX, like made out of wood, or is it some other material. I just want to free up some room, so i just need some recommendations.

thanks

bryan
Old 05-06-2002, 08:03 AM
jmax

I am pretty sure the box is a plastic resin. That way they can use thinner walls to achieve the strength they need. And you can see in the pic that it is slot loaded. The woofer fires down at an angle into the rear corner of the trunk. They get at least 3 dB, probably more, by placing it in this location with the slot design.

I don't think you can buy the box seperately. And you would have to use the same model 10 inch sub.

Old 05-07-2002, 05:20 PM
FJC

Originally posted by CoretteKid
Hey, i have a 1997 SE and i completely ripped out the Bose system. Check the sig for all my toys. However, i am upgrading to the new clarion vrx925vd. It is a mp3/cdr/cdrw/am/fm/dvd touchscreen. I have seen the model below it, and it is just crazy. I cant wait. OK, sorry, had to show off my new toy... As far as the box goes, i have a 12" solobaric in the back, and it is sealed. The thing hits HARD. However, the only problem is behind the seats there is a big metal board. Some people call it a firewall. It limits a LOT of bass, so if i were you, i would take that out, and figure out what to do. Out of a scale of 100, it takes probably 60% out of the bass that comes to you. When i close my middle armrest in the back, the bass literally traps itself in the trunk, but when it is opened, there is a noticeable difference. So, either way, you are going to hear the bass pretty good. Overall, in my opinion, find a way to take out the firewall, and you will be fine with your sub.
You gotta port your s**t up the rear deck...
Old 05-08-2002, 02:44 PM
KCTYPHOON

well i have finally decided, im going with a vented compression box, probably with 2 kicker solo's

Old 05-08-2002, 02:53 PM

how hard is it to port the rear deck of a 96 max
Old 05-08-2002, 03:27 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by killaSin11
how hard is it to port the rear deck of a 96 max
basically thats what is goin to be done to my car.. a vented compression box has 2 (or 4 ) woofers that face each other, with each side being a sealed box, and the middle part acting as a compression chamber. the chamber is the vent up through the rear deck, with the sound deflecting off the rear window. hence the term, vented compression box. this allows the sound quality of a sealed box, without loosing any volume deflecting off the trunk lid, and then through the back seat. i heard one in a lincoln with 4 10" alumipro's and words simply do not do it justice. the box alone with the install is goin to run about $450 w/o the woffers. i started out asking the same questions as you, and after months of listening and asking around, this is the choice ive made..

Old 05-08-2002, 04:22 PM

what about the stock bose subwoofer, if you take that out cant you just make that a port?
Old 05-08-2002, 07:23 PM
KCTYPHOON

Originally posted by killaSin11
what about the stock bose subwoofer, if you take that out cant you just make that a port?
im not sure who your asking, but in my case the port needs to be tuned to the box and woofers. its not as simple as just using a hole. it has to meet certain dimensions.