Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Great Thread On Maxima Theft (Meccanoble), Post About Protection Here...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2002, 04:26 PM
FJC

Great Thread On Maxima Theft (Meccanoble), Post About Protection Here...

Post here about security for your max... Does anybody have LoJack? What type of alarm do you have, etc....???
Old 05-01-2002, 04:38 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Anything other than "The Club" would probably best be covered in the Audio/Electronics Forum
Old 05-01-2002, 05:57 PM
Maxima owner since 2000

i use the AutoLoc Pro
Old 05-01-2002, 07:04 PM
Sports Button FTW

thanks for complimenting me on my thread...and people here say i make nothing but bullsh*t threads...tisk tisk tisk

there are two things i would recommend getting...

FIRST: the club that hooks from steering wheel to brake pedal....it's almost impossible to break and the only way they gonna take your car is after weeks of determining planning...gotta cut that bad boy off....

SECOND: get an alarm which beeps u when it's getting broken into....not any safer than any other alarm but takes a good 2+ minutes atleast to disarm an alarm and you will know someone is breaking into your car, so you have time to run down stairs and missile drop kick the fool in the forehead....this is what i plan to get when conversion, intake and pipe's are all done for me.....
Old 05-01-2002, 07:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

LoJack issue

I had LoJack on my first car, which did not prevent someone from breaking the drivers window, getting into the trunk and stealing my stereo.
My BMW dealer was pushing me into LoJack but I told him that I don't need the car back once it's stolen. No one knows what kind of damage was done to it.
LoJack was designed mainly as a recovery system. It doesn't even have shock/tilt sensors but costs twice as much as a high-end aftermarket alarm.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:26 PM
FJC

SECOND: get an alarm which beeps u when it's getting broken into....not any safer than any other alarm but takes a good 2+ minutes atleast to disarm an alarm and you will know someone is breaking into your car, so you have time to run down stairs and missile drop kick the fool in the forehead....this is what i plan to get when conversion, intake and pipe's are all done for me..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Good point... I will already have a CodeAlarm when I get the car (Good alarm). I can add a pager to the brain along with some other options.

Actually, I'd love for someone to let me catch them in the act... The bad thing is, I don't know what I'd do because I run a little hot sometimes....

Where you from Mecca?
Old 05-01-2002, 08:27 PM
FJC

Re: LoJack issue

Originally posted by AndyXXL
I had LoJack on my first car, which did not prevent someone from breaking the drivers window, getting into the trunk and stealing my stereo.
My BMW dealer was pushing me into LoJack but I told him that I don't need the car back once it's stolen. No one knows what kind of damage was done to it.
LoJack was designed mainly as a recovery system. It doesn't even have shock/tilt sensors but costs twice as much as a high-end aftermarket alarm.
\

Good point on the Lojack Andy... It is expensive.

Is that delivery date set in stone??? I think I have some BMW Roundels for you...
Old 05-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: LoJack issue

Originally posted by FJC
\

Good point on the Lojack Andy... It is expensive.

Is that delivery date set in stone??? I think I have some BMW Roundels for you...
BMW of North America told me this date is estimated for now. My dealer will call when the car arrives to NJ port. After that I'll know the exact delivery date and will let you know.
Old 05-01-2002, 08:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Clifford Concept Series good alarm hehe
Old 05-01-2002, 08:58 PM
FJC

Re: Re: Re: LoJack issue

Originally posted by AndyXXL

BMW of North America told me this date is estimated for now. My dealer will call when the car arrives to NJ port. After that I'll know the exact delivery date and will let you know.
cool...
Old 05-01-2002, 10:37 PM
Custom User Title...

know that auto lock? i wonder if you could cheap out and just get the part that covers your steering wheel. i'm not saying it will prevent your car from being stolen or broken into but it will definately be a deterrent. mine was broken into before...which you can imagine set me off bigtime...but now with my aftermarket alarm, i don't worry as much anymore. as much
Old 05-01-2002, 10:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Truth is that pagers don't really work because any half decent car thief can steal any car, especially foreign cars, in aobut 20-30 seconds.

IanS
Old 05-01-2002, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by iansw
Truth is that pagers don't really work because any half decent car thief can steal any car, especially foreign cars, in aobut 20-30 seconds.

IanS
does that also include aladdin 2000 and crimestoppers?
i like the paging system but do you reccommend any of these alarms?
i think they both have anti descrambling abilities and also have kill switch
Old 05-02-2002, 06:25 AM

I thought about those pagers also, but what is the range on those things? I thought it was kinda short.

I've got a battery backed up alarm and a mechanical hood lock. These are available for Viper systems. I feel my car is pretty damn secure. You can only open my trunk by key, and I have a detachable face HU.
Old 05-02-2002, 06:33 AM

Lojack could have been the end all of vehicle protection, but it's not.

2 major flaws;

1) it does not activate untill you call to report the car missing. So, your car can be stollen at 11PM, you wake up at 6 am, find the car gone, call the police. Thy probably wind up finding you car, a hollow shel witht he lo-jack sensor still inside.

2) the lojack tracker in police cars has this weird limitation, it can only scan at ground level. So thives who steal car temporarily park them high in a parking garage till the hounds have disappeared.

DW
Old 05-02-2002, 09:24 AM
OG and counting...

Another limitation of Lo-Jack

Lo-Jack is only going to be effective in areas where the service is fully functional. This means it is only going to be most effective in the major cities.
Old 05-02-2002, 10:22 AM
Custom User Title...

Originally posted by Clayton94GXE
I thought about those pagers also, but what is the range on those things? I thought it was kinda short.

I've got a battery backed up alarm and a mechanical hood lock. These are available for Viper systems. I feel my car is pretty damn secure. You can only open my trunk by key, and I have a detachable face HU.

i think when i saw it, it said something like a mile or two for range...seemed pretty cool.
Old 05-04-2002, 07:40 AM

I agree with the LoJack comments

I had a LoJack installed on another car a couple of years ago, and it was expensive (I think it costed me $600+ installed), but at the time I was young, stupid, too much money and not enough sense to use it right - anyway that's another topic...

As far as security is concerned, I think that new AutoLock is one of the best things you can buy to protect your car from being driven off. The thing is solid steel, attaches itself to the brake/clutch which is some of the strongest metal on your car, and, when installed, it takes less than 10 sec. It's also in a spot that's not very 'thief-friendly' because in order for a thief to remove it, he'd have to put himself in a very uncomfortable and compromising position, which he's not going to do if he can help it.

Any auto alarm worth it's salt isn't going to prevent a break-in, that's the bottom line. If a thief wants what you've got, he's going to get it whether your alarm costs you $1 or $1000. I'm planning to get an aftermarket alarm system (preferably Clifford) very soon, but I know it's just a noisemaker that most people will ignore anyway - except me. That's just the way it is nowadays - car alarms are as common as clock radio alarms and people have just learned to ignore them for the most part. I suppose a paging alarm is a good idea because then you'll KNOW that your car is the one being tampered with, whether you can hear the alarm or not. I've seen the Aladdin 2000 alarm with the pagers and others like it, but does anyone have any experience with Autopage alarms? Aren't they the ones that started the whole concept of paging alarms?

peace2u