Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

friend gave me a pair of tweeters....

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 10:15 AM

friend gave me a pair of tweeters....

their kaption tweeters, now my question is where should i install them, i was thinking to put them in the plastic peice of the a piller u know where the door and the front dash meet, on the door theres a plastic peice i think they would be perfect their. where do you guys have ur aftermarket tweeters intalled. also how did u install them, can i just split the wires that are going to the front speakers or is this really bad. someone please help me out here.

thanx in advance

ciao
Old 05-04-2002, 03:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah you can put them on the plastic piece in the window, you just won't get the best imaging possible, but kicks for our cars are a bit of a pain, i would get a crossover if i were you, other wise you could end up blowing them, you can get an active for pretty cheap off ebay
Old 05-04-2002, 05:03 PM

well i think i got cross overs with the tweeters( im not really knowledgable about this car audio stuff yet) there two little boxes about a inch and a half wide about an inch high and about 2 inches long, it says kaption and it says 2 way and 6/12db on the top of it
but i would have no clue on how to hook them up

INP. TW W
+ - + - + -

this is the layout of the connections on the side
someone please help
thanx in advance ciao
Old 05-06-2002, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by stino4life
well i think i got cross overs with the tweeters( im not really knowledgable about this car audio stuff yet) there two little boxes about a inch and a half wide about an inch high and about 2 inches long, it says kaption and it says 2 way and 6/12db on the top of it
but i would have no clue on how to hook them up

INP. TW W
+ - + - + -

this is the layout of the connections on the side
someone please help
thanx in advance ciao

that's for input, tweeter and woofer....positive and negative,
input is for the line from the headunit or amp, and it sounds like you'll only be using the tweeter.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:40 AM

ok i understand that part, now my headunit only has wires for 4 speakers. do i just tap into the front 2 speakers and then plug them into the "input" of the crossover and then the tweeter into the"tweeter"
Old 05-06-2002, 11:32 AM

ok i understand that part, now my headunit only has wires for 4 speakers. do i just tap into the front 2 speakers and then plug them into the "input" of the crossover and then the tweeter into the"tweeter"
you're using coaxials and tweeters? if so yeah you couls do it that way, or run the front speaker wires from the head unit to the crossover and then run the tweets and the coaxials off the crossover, kind of you're chioce there, if u run the coax off the crossover though it won't be a full range speaker anymore, it will just act like a woofer, then you havr the added problem of how big is your coax and how big does the crossover THINK the woofer is? 6.x in? 5.x? 4in? what sixe woofers came with the crossovers?
Old 05-06-2002, 01:38 PM

the crossovers were from a system that had two tens
my friend changed his whole system and gave me the tweeters and the crossovers
i think im just gonna split the wires from the front speakers run them to the crossover and the fromthe crossovers to the tweeters
thanx so much
oh one more thing where should i position the tweeters to get the best sound, the plastic peice where the door meets the dash or just underneath and forward a bit of the door handle?

thanx in advance
Old 05-07-2002, 05:25 AM

the crossovers were from a system that had two tens
my friend changed his whole system and gave me the tweeters and the crossovers
i think im just gonna split the wires from the front speakers run them to the crossover and the fromthe crossovers to the tweeters
thanx so much
oh one more thing where should i position the tweeters to get the best sound, the plastic peice where the door meets the dash or just underneath and forward a bit of the door handle?

thanx in advance

either one, both are just as bad, i have mine mounted on the plastic piece on the window though...
Old 05-07-2002, 07:30 AM
jmax

Here's an idea, replace the entire front speaker system instead of just the tweeter. If you 'tap into the wires coming from the headunit', which basically hooking the new tweet/crossover in parallel, then you will drop the impedance the headunit is driveing. The headunit already sounds like crud without the more difficult lower impedance. Don't go half way. It'll sound worse than stock, not better.

Old 05-07-2002, 10:43 AM

how should i do this then
Old 05-07-2002, 10:51 AM
jmax

how should i do this then
Remove factory speakers, deposit in nearest trash can. Replace with new speakers.

Old 05-07-2002, 11:18 PM

i already threw the factory speakers out
i need info on how i should install tweeters
do i need a seperate amp, can i just split the wires from the front speakers and hook them up to the tweeters, or can i split the wires from the front speakers to my crossovers then to my tweeters????
Old 05-08-2002, 09:01 AM
jmax

i already threw the factory speakers out
i need info on how i should install tweeters
do i need a seperate amp, can i just split the wires from the front speakers and hook them up to the tweeters, or can i split the wires from the front speakers to my crossovers then to my tweeters????
"i already threw the factory speakers out"

"can i just split the wires from the front speakers and hook them up to the tweeters"

Now how are you going to "split the wires" if you already threw out the speakers? Why not just use the wire as-is? And it sounds like you are not going to have any mid-range. Why would anyone want that unless they listen to nothing but triangles and cymbals? I would wory more about the mids than the tweets. Because contrary to popular belief they are responsable for most of the music and vocals. The tweets provide directionality and in some instances clarity. But I would put money on you noticing the difference without a mid before noticing the difference without a tweet. Of course this is assuming the normal crossover point above 4000 hertz. But even at 3000 I would feel safe with this bet. There is a lot of music that has almost no need for tweeters if the mids are high quality. There is no information in the upper frequencies in popular music.

Old 05-08-2002, 09:37 AM

when i said i threw the factory speakers out i meant that i replaced the factory speakers i have infinity reference series speakers in the front i still have the stock speakers in the back and now i want to add tweeters to my stereo
all i am asking is if it is safe to just split the wires from the front speakers and hook them to the tweeters or go through the crossovers to the tweeters
Old 05-08-2002, 02:37 PM
jmax

when i said i threw the factory speakers out i meant that i replaced the factory speakers i have infinity reference series speakers in the front i still have the stock speakers in the back and now i want to add tweeters to my stereo
all i am asking is if it is safe to just split the wires from the front speakers and hook them to the tweeters or go through the crossovers to the tweeters
All this time I have been hoping that you would tell us what is wrong with the tweeters that are already running. Without having to actually ask this question. If you wire the new tweet to the crossover of the infinities then the crossover frequency won't be correct for the new tweet. And if you leave the Infinity tweet in there, the impedance will change so the crossover frequency will also be different for the Infinity. The cap in the crossover cuts off low frequencies to the tweet, dependant on the impedance of the tweet/tweets - the crossover frequency changes dependant on impedance.
If you are having trouble with the infinity's not being bright enough it is most likely because they are not angled toward your ears. Re-mounting the Infinities at a better angle could solve your entire problem.

Old 05-08-2002, 02:46 PM

hmmmmm i seeee

so does anyone wanna buy a couple a kaption tweeters and crossovers?