Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Dimmer Relay Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2002, 01:47 AM

Dimmer Relay Question

okay hear me out, before the ricey flames start coming , constructive criticism would be taken into consideration. i have an underbody neon kit and i would like to install it in a way when i unarm my alarm system that the underbody neon would come and dim out or go off like the domelight inside the car that goes on and off with the alarm system but also to be able to turn on and off at my disgression. hope your following me on this or did i lose you already?. what type of relay would i need and what other electrical components would i also need or require to make this happen in the process and would i be able to get all the needed materials from a radio shack or so. i'd go ask my (UN)friendly neighborhood radio shack but i've come to learn that they never know anything about electrical components besides PCs, Phones and BSing like they know what their talking about. Any feedback would be great. TIA. but please no flamers.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:01 AM

Re: Dimmer Relay Question

Originally posted by Vudoo1313
okay hear me out, before the ricey flames start coming , constructive criticism would be taken into consideration. i have an underbody neon kit and i would like to install it in a way when i unarm my alarm system that the underbody neon would come and dim out or go off like the domelight inside the car that goes on and off with the alarm system but also to be able to turn on and off at my disgression. hope your following me on this or did i lose you already?. what type of relay would i need and what other electrical components would i also need or require to make this happen in the process and would i be able to get all the needed materials from a radio shack or so. i'd go ask my (UN)friendly neighborhood radio shack but i've come to learn that they never know anything about electrical components besides PCs, Phones and BSing like they know what their talking about. Any feedback would be great. TIA. but please no flamers.
Basically, all your doing is adding an extra "lamp" to the dome light circuit. Neons usually do not draw a lot of current, but I would hook up a 30 amp relay just in case so that you don't blow the dome light circuit. Just make sure install an in-line fuse for the neons, and run the power of the battery to be safe.