Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Questions about Install.........

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 05:28 PM

Questions about Install.........

I have my entire new system in my room...New HU, comps, coaxs, amp, power cap , and subs....I was going to have the HU installed and do everything else myself...But now I am worried about doing it myself...How hard is it to install the speakers in the Max...I have to re-wire the BOSE system, I know that, but what other problems might I run into with the car...I'm worried about the doors and stuff, I dont want to mess up my car...Any help would be great !!
Feel free to put your .02 in on this one I'm looking for all sorts of experiences....
Old 05-12-2002, 07:09 PM

I don't think the max is the easiest car to install a system in. I didn't install mine myself.... The guy I brough it to did say that it took him quite a bit longer than usual. If you've decided to get your HU installed, you might want to ask how much extra it would be to install the whole system too. I know there are a lot of people here who've installed their own systems, I don't think it's really hard, just time consuming. I've taken off my doors before and it isn't tough, I would think running the wire (esp. if you're running larger wire) would be pretty time consuming.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:40 AM

: BUMP :
Old 05-14-2002, 12:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My $0.02...

SilverMax98...

I've done all of my own stereo installation so far, and I will admit that it IS time-consuming. I took my time and planned out everything that I wanted to do, and I took it in steps. I think that if you can handle the wiring yourself, it would save you a lot of time once you decide to put everything else together. So far, I installed the wiring and both of my amps and subs. If I had the time to dedicate to it like I wanted to, I'd have finished sooner.

I've noticed that when you do some of the more time-consuming work that if/when you decide to have someone else work on your car, it won't take them as long because you've done the stuff they would charge you an arm and a leg for - besides, it's YOUR car, you can do what you like with it, but I personally like to know who's been fiddling with what in the car I rely upon everyday. But that's just me...

BTW - When somebody asks me that question, "Who hooked your sounds up?" I love to be able to say that I did it myself. It's a pride thang...

peace2u
Old 05-14-2002, 03:20 PM

I agree with everything that you said...I know that this will be time consuming, I just really want to know exactly what was done with my stereo, I would like to do it myself this way I can do it exactly how I want...Plus it will save like 2-3 hundred dollars...I was just wondering if there are any known problems that I will run into while doing this...I'm just worried about messing something up...My car is so tight and solid, I dont want to mess it up and have rattles and crap because of something I did....... I'm mostly worried about taking the seats out, I want them to go back in.....Well, anything anybody esle can add to give me some help would be great !!!
Old 05-14-2002, 06:01 PM

I just got my maxima a month ago, i installed the hu, amp and subs myself. why do you have to run new wires for speakers??? just asking since i havent got my doors apart yet. thanks.
Old 05-14-2002, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is time consuming, but its well worth it. installing the head unit is easy and if you can get the wiring schematics, you can use the stock bose wiring. i think matt93se had them, but I cant remember.
I made some homemade plates for the front speakers of my max so I could run my 6.5"s in it and the rear 6x9s bolted up fine. i just unhooked the amps and took them out.
if you need any help taking the car apart, buy a Chiltons or Haynes manual. I got mine afterward because i was doing more serious stuff but it has the howto in there, well 1/2 of it.
also search the forums, others have already gone through this, including me, and i relieze that your a 4th gen and im a 3rd so they are alittle different.
I currently have my box sides cut and i just need to trim them down and cut some holes. then just bolt it together and carpet it and just finish wiring the power to the amp.
I bought a Bazooka 500watt amp off ebay for $64 after shipping, i think it will turn out fine, i may end up having to get a better amp.
anyway im tired so good night
MrGone
Old 05-14-2002, 09:28 PM
I tend to get a bit irritable

Bring it down to NJ as an org member Ill give ya a hand. I do all my own work. As long as your doing the work theres no charge. Always happy to give a hand.

my $.02