Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Adding MP3 Play ability to 4th Gen Bose. Doable?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2002, 07:33 AM
4 Maximas and counting

Adding MP3 Play ability to 4th Gen Bose. Doable?

Hi All,
I'm looking into getting the ability to play MP3s in the car.
I currently have a factory Bose system with one amp already having undergone repair (thanks to davescoolstuff.com).
As far as I can tell, there's no way to add a CD player/changer with MP3 capabilities to the system without using the dreaded RF/FM modulation.
I'm actually satisfied with the sound of the Bose, but I want to get into MP3s.
Any help out there?

If I _have_ to, I might pull the entire Bose system and *gasp* mix and match parts from ebay. There are plenty of low cost speakers out there from infinity, polk and the like, and MP3 head units aren't too bad either. Is there a FAQ about what size of speakers drop into the Maxima? I see plenty of informative links in the sticky, but so far, nothing specific about what fits the OEM locations. Or did I just miss that overly obvious information?

Any info appreciated!
Thanks
Old 05-13-2002, 09:25 AM
Chris-alty

You can use an FM modulator. Then all you could plug in basiclly anything into your stock bose system and it owuld work perfectly fine. I have an FM modulator in my altima for my video system and it sounds pretty damn nice with it. Hope this helps!

Old 05-13-2002, 09:53 AM
4 Maximas and counting

FM Modulation

Hi Chris,
I was unclear in the post above, but from what I've read, most people dislike FM modulation as an option. Since I haven't used one yet, I'm certainly open to opinions. Can you recommend a unit that might fit the need? If it could comehow fit into that useless space under the Bose, that would be even better

Thanks for the reply and any additional info!

Originally posted by Chris-alty
You can use an FM modulator. Then all you could plug in basiclly anything into your stock bose system and it owuld work perfectly fine. I have an FM modulator in my altima for my video system and it sounds pretty damn nice with it. Hope this helps!
Old 05-14-2002, 07:27 AM

Re: FM Modulation

Well, if you've got $300 to spare, I'd simply just go and get a JVC KD-SH99. It's a 200w head unit that plays MP3s, and it does a very beautiful job. Several long time Maxima.org members have bought them and are happy with them. The cost involved in trying to mod your existing Bose unit will probably come to about $200.... so for just $150 more, you save the time and effort (the $50 I added is for the required Bose speaker adapter so that your new head unit will work with them).

If you're worried about going from double DIN to single DIN, all you need to do is get the I-30 storage tray, which will fit in rather nicely (I did this). Or, you've now got an extra slot for another component or a CD holder. The Bose head unit is nice, but it is aging technology. I wouldn't invest more time and money in it.

There are usually some Bose units going up for sale on eBay, and they do move. So, you could also sell your working one and at least recoup a little $$.