Audio and Electronics Discuss in-car entertainment systems, audio and video systems, car alarms and other electronics topics.

Brands to stay away from?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2002, 10:53 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brands to stay away from?

OK, Im kinda into car audio so I get a lot of people asking me is this good or is that good. I try to look up products for them and get them the best stuff that they can afford, but there are so many brands out there. What brands are just pure crap and should be avoided at all costs? Im wondering about amps and subs mainly but bad speaker brands and other stuff would be fine too.

I always find myself talking people out of buying amps that say they are like 9283472938 watts and only cost $150. My rule for right now is if it looks to good to be true......it is.

Thanks,
Lyth
Old 07-10-2002, 05:27 AM
Minister of Silly Walks

Avoid:

"Rockwood"
&
"Kenford"

Old 07-10-2002, 06:16 AM
I'm so hood

hehe...well, I can tell you one thing. Avoid Optimus.

But that should be self-explanatory (if you've ever been inside a radio shack, you probably know what I'm talking about)
Old 07-10-2002, 06:48 AM

Let me say this. The big names are not always the best as far your costerformance It always good to look at the specs. For example most people would not by Quantum products.
Old 07-10-2002, 12:01 PM

i'd just like to add my $0.2 to this...this is just my opinion and I'm not a professional car installer or even an all knowing stereo god.

Alot of people just don't understand that the same stuff that makes up an expensive amp also makes up a cheap amp. I don't care what anyone tells me but if you are not planning on competing ANY CHEAP(YES RADIO SHACK INCLUDED) AMP is good enough to power subs. The signal doesn't have to be clear....IT'S JUST BASS.
Of course for speaker power you do need a clean, usually expensive amp.
Most times, the human ear cannot tell the difference between a good sounding system and a decent sounding system...you just can't tell. Of course if you compare a Bose to a regular car stereo you will notice some difference...but that's like comparing a really good product to a really bad one.

Anyhow...hope what I said makes sense...and Rock On!!!
Old 07-10-2002, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by roman
i'd just like to add my $0.2 to this...this is just my opinion and I'm not a professional car installer or even an all knowing stereo god.

Alot of people just don't understand that the same stuff that makes up an expensive amp also makes up a cheap amp. I don't care what anyone tells me but if you are not planning on competing ANY CHEAP(YES RADIO SHACK INCLUDED) AMP is good enough to power subs. The signal doesn't have to be clear....IT'S JUST BASS.
Most times, the human ear cannot tell the difference between a good sounding system and a decent sounding system...you just can't tell. Of course if you compare a Bose to a regular car stereo you will notice some difference...but that's like comparing a really good product to a really bad one.

You, my friend are wrong
Old 07-10-2002, 01:03 PM
I'm so hood

ANY CHEAP(YES RADIO SHACK INCLUDED) AMP is good enough to power subs. The signal doesn't have to be clear....IT'S JUST BASS.
Heh...so THATS why everyone in SPL drags use pyramid, jensen, etc, etc amps...

Old 07-10-2002, 02:49 PM
I miss the .org!

I don't care what anyone tells me but if you are not planning on competing ANY CHEAP(YES RADIO SHACK INCLUDED) AMP is good enough to power subs. The signal doesn't have to be clear....IT'S JUST BASS.
Most times, the human ear cannot tell the difference between a good sounding system and a decent sounding system...you just can't tell.
What are you talking about?
Old 07-10-2002, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Triple8Sol

What are you talking about?
You know exactly what I'm talking about. And I'm pretty sure that I am right, to some extent.
Old 07-10-2002, 05:32 PM

o.k.,what's the difference between a radioshack amp and a us amp?
about $1300.00 and a trophy!
trust me
Old 07-10-2002, 05:56 PM

I'm not flaming you, but you are incorrect on most of your points in your post. To the extent that you are right, you may have a point if we're talking about someone that can't tell the difference sonically between an expensive brand and a cheap one. However, even the most inexperienced or uninterested person will be able to tell the difference. There's just so many factors to consider. But, generally speaking, you are way off base here.

Tony
Old 07-10-2002, 06:37 PM

Originally posted by Tony Fernandes

I'm not flaming you, but you are incorrect on most of your points in your post. To the extent that you are right, you may have a point if we're talking about someone that can't tell the difference sonically between an expensive brand and a cheap one. However, even the most inexperienced or uninterested person will be able to tell the difference. There's just so many factors to consider. But, generally speaking, you are way off base here.

Tony
Aight...like I said in my original post...it's just my opinion. To each his own.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:24 PM

Originally posted by 97blackv1
o.k.,what's the difference between a radioshack amp and a us amp?
about $1300.00 and a trophy!
trust me
Damping factor
Slew rate
Noise
quality
life span
True specs

Never mind the trophy thing since the sq judges never see what you even run.
Old 07-10-2002, 08:36 PM

eh...avoid Sony...they need to stick to what they are good at, portbale electronics, not car audio
Old 07-10-2002, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by ThumpinMaxima
eh...avoid Sony...they need to stick to what they are good at, portbale electronics, not car audio
i have a sony explode 1000w runnin my 2-12" Kicker L7's...granted it doesnt make the ground shake or shatter car windows, it pushes my subs and occassionally sets off alarms too...i know its not tha greatest, but it works for me...i've heard what good amps make the l7's sound like, my friends cousin has 2-12" L7's each pushed by PPI 600w and the ground basically shakes around him and its clear as F***, but i dont have $1200 to spend on amps so yea, sony works for me...
atw
Old 07-11-2002, 08:42 AM

Avoid anything that rhymes with "voltron"!

hehe

Magnetik
Old 07-11-2002, 09:29 AM

Originally posted by MaxedOut2g

i have a sony explode 1000w runnin my 2-12" Kicker L7's...granted it doesnt make the ground shake or shatter car windows, it pushes my subs and occassionally sets off alarms too...i know its not tha greatest, but it works for me...i've heard what good amps make the l7's sound like, my friends cousin has 2-12" L7's each pushed by PPI 600w and the ground basically shakes around him and its clear as F***, but i dont have $1200 to spend on amps so yea, sony works for me...
atw
If you two Kicker L7's you should be setting of HOUSE ALARMS
Old 07-11-2002, 10:06 AM

Thanks for the info, are there any other brand names we should stay away from?

as far as:

Amps
HU
Speakers
Old 07-11-2002, 02:21 PM

my friend has had bad relationship with Blaunkupt (spelling) HU...he is always having problems with them, he is an installer...im not sure tho...i just always listen to him ***** about them