Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

vid from one of my first autoX's

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

vid from one of my first autoX's

found a vid from one of my first autoX's...

not the best camera angle or lighting which I apologize for in advance...but this video will be interesting to see as I compare my driving in this vid to my driving now and later with my new suspension and mods on....

it wasn't my best run of the day (as I made a lot of mistakes) but a fun one, and a clean one with no cones!

in this vid..I was running lightweight 17x7.5" wheels, toyo RA-1's 235/45/17, FSTB, RSB, 3mm spacer rear, about -1 camber all the way around and stock toe specs, trunk gutted if I can remember...

engine mods are only stillen popcharger, magnaflow muffler, grounding kit, timing advance

brakes up front are 6th gen slotted rotors with 6th gen calipers up front and hawk hps...rear slotted rotors, hawk hps pads, valvoline synpower dot 4, and stainless lines all the way around...

I believe cold pressures were: 42F, 45R if memory serves...

http://www.larrychendesign.com/mike/2ndAutoX.avi
Old 11-04-2005, 05:58 AM
Conecarver

Good quality and sound on the video. Hard to tell how you're doing on the course with that camera angle though. It did look like you were too hot in the corners - maybe try slower and setting up for the turns earlier to come out better ie. faster on the gas into each straight. You looked relaxed and confident though which is huge.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:26 AM

well, like I said....that was then driving which was a while ago....so it has improved greatly since...that was one of the last runs of the day, so I was going a little to hot into the corners...which is pretty much what everyone tends to do at the end of the day I think...

I am going to get an real camera mount so I can have a good angle in the future!

I am getting a better LSD so I can roll on the gas sooner coming onto the straights...cause right now even with the r compounds I have to roll on the gas slower than I like...
Old 11-04-2005, 12:27 PM
retired moderator

I'll say one thing....your hand positions are far more precise than mine are (see my vid posted below for example)....btw, my mount is off the passenger headrest, so see if you like that angle. Like Brian said though, you look very relaxed and confident in the run so that's a good thing.

with a different LSD, be careful - it will bump you up in class. I take it you already have an aftermarket LSD? you didn't mention it in your list above (and your car didn't come with one, obviously)

EDIT: here's a link to the vid I was talking about, in case you want to see it...I think it got buried in another thread

btw, what kind of camera are you using...very good clarity!

Click here to see Video
Old 11-04-2005, 01:30 PM

the camera is a sony handycam...can't remember which model....the quality I thought is actually rather poor since the compression I used really degraded it! you should see the raw DV, straight off the camera quality!!!

thank you for the comments on the hands, I use that for autoX and the more traditional method for the track...the shifting hands technique is one taught by either skip barber or bob bondurant, can't remember which...

irish, where did you get that headrest mount? how much?

I am looking at a similar headrest mount as well...

I don't think the lsd will bump me up since I am already running r compounds and soon to be sfc's...so that puts me where I am currently running anyway...DSP...

that one turn at the end was just wide enough to fit the huge maxima front end through...I was taking that run at the end of the day a little hot if memory serves, but that turn never caught me off guard like it did that run!

right now I am running the stock VLSD from AE maxima....
soon to be a clutch type 1.5 way (NOT phantom) or maybe the quaife
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
the camera is a sony handycam...can't remember which model....the quality I thought is actually rather poor since the compression I used really degraded it! you should see the raw DV, straight off the camera quality!!!

thank you for the comments on the hands, I use that for autoX and the more traditional method for the track...the shifting hands technique is one taught by either skip barber or bob bondurant, can't remember which...

irish, where did you get that headrest mount? how much?

I am looking at a similar headrest mount as well...

I don't think the lsd will bump me up since I am already running r compounds and soon to be sfc's...so that puts me where I am currently running anyway...DSP...

that one turn at the end was just wide enough to fit the huge maxima front end through...I was taking that run at the end of the day a little hot if memory serves, but that turn never caught me off guard like it did that run!

right now I am running the stock VLSD from AE maxima....
soon to be a clutch type 1.5 way (NOT phantom) or maybe the quaife
the headrest mount I made out of some materials from (you guessed it) Home Depot, plus a ball-pivot camera mount (like a tripod has).

if you like it, I'll sell it to you super-cheap (materials and shipping, basically)...I will have a harness bar or roll bar next year and will be able to mount the camera there.

here's a thread about it:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=412993

I'm not sure if the window arm would be usable in SCCA events, but local clubs don't give me any heat about it (didn't use it in the last SCCA event, so don't know)
Old 11-04-2005, 10:05 PM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by irish44j
the headrest mount I made out of some materials from (you guessed it) Home Depot, plus a ball-pivot camera mount (like a tripod has).

if you like it, I'll sell it to you super-cheap (materials and shipping, basically)...I will have a harness bar or roll bar next year and will be able to mount the camera there.

here's a thread about it:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=412993

I'm not sure if the window arm would be usable in SCCA events, but local clubs don't give me any heat about it (didn't use it in the last SCCA event, so don't know)
The one thing they go crazy about in philly is the safety strap, other than that usually it's ok, I've seen a lot of bungie corded camera mounts at philly events.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:50 PM

Michael, how many autoX's and road courses have you been to? I thought you posted recently in West Coast about your first event, but you make it sound like you go to a bunch of events. It would be interesting to see how you do on the real track, againt more prepared maximas. Seems like your car was screeching and sliding around all those turns. And did you set rear camber to -1 on both sides somehow? Because the way it reads it seems like you imply that it was adjusted all around.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:07 PM

why are you following people around lol...even on the recent night-owl thread in regards to the overall professionalism of the event and it's coordinators which was in part myself if you must know and one of my best friends--Larry Chen....I guess all you guys except for the other larry chen from top e are have attitudes...that larry with the 5th gen AE is cool though...

peter (MCC president wants peace as well...and for you guys to leave us alone...lol)

and as far as prep...I now have LTB stage II (not on yet sitting in garage), SFC stage II (not on yet...friend with welding shop is off on vacation), poly bushings all the way around (even the lower subframe ones and rear trailing arm), poly filled motor mounts, 5mm spacers and forged lugs, forged wheels, toyo ra-1 shaved r compound tires, -1.75 degrees of camber up front and zero toe (for now), progress gen 3 coilovers which are actually tested on cheston's maxima with progress and their professional equipment on the skidpad in cooperation with Brian Catt's (no other coilover system to date has actually been tested on a maxima with the company in it's original conception & design), rear sway bar, about to get my RSTB, and I have a FSTB on there as well...oh and did I mention hawk HP+ with custom brake ducts up front (hawk hps when I run autoX and for street driving), LSD, stainless lines and the full 6th gen conversion, motul, and slotted rotors all the way around?

and I shouldn't get into engine mods...but I guess if you have to (soon to be V1 S/C kit but I haven't exactly decided to install it yet or maybe at all...we'll see, cattman gen 2 headers -- got in on the first 10 group as it was a personal favor for me from Brian, fidanza flywheel, high flow cat, and catback (all of the exhaust components are not on yet though mind you)

enough about prep though...as you brought up the "prep" part in regards to competing with as you said: "against more prepared maximas"

the real point is driver ability and confidence,
which we can doll on for hours I am sure, but the simple fact is that since I have been to 2 schools days, 1 clinic day, and 3 DE's since (not including my autoX experience, and it you wan't to confirm it all, call tracquest, tcra, and raceschool.com--Danny McEveer's Fastlane)...I am confident that while I HAVE a TON to LEARN and NEED a lot MORE EXPERIENCE, my skill and understanding of high performance driving has grown immensely since that video I posted...and when I go to Buttonwillow or Willow springs now (primarily streets as I like how technical it is), I have a lot of safe, fun driving..which in the end of the day is all it's about isn't it?

and no...there was no sliding going on...all that tire you hear is just what ra-1's do at that 5-10% slip angle or so...so I guess there was a little slipping but nothing that couldn't be controlled or anything that would cause me to hit any cones (as I didn't on that run if memory serves)...RA-1's at that limit are very controllable and recover fast!

the negative camber in the rear was induced by the geometry changes which occur naturally when lowered...which is just what I ended up with according to the alignment shop I go to...

now please top element tuning...file a chapter 11 and get out of the game to open up the buyer/seller feedback forum so others can comment on other companies/resellers

btw...I will most likely be at speedtrialusa for the December 3rd/4th DE if you wan't to see me drive on the track (streets O willow)...first time tagging along with that great club, but should be fun! and they're inexpensive...! can't wait...
Old 11-06-2005, 10:15 AM
retired moderator

IIRC the rear camber on the 5th gen is NOT affected by lowering the car, because it's a beam axle. The only way to affect camber in the rear is to have the beam physically bent. There are no geometry changes to the rear wheel angles. The alignment shop is either bs'ing you, or you have some damage to rear components or a bent axle...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:17 AM

that's strange cause looking at my printout from two different places shows almost -1 degree of camber in the rear...and I know nothing is damaged as this car has been immaculately cared for and babied...

in fact when I had my 4th gen...the rear gained negative camber when it was lowered on eibachs...

but what you are saying makes sense....but so does computer printout's from different laser utilizing alignment shops...

oh and btw, the metal sleeve is slightly shorter than the LCA bushings...I saw your post...mine look like that...it's not really a problem...

***oh...n/m....just realized that I didn't compare my alignment sheets to those before I got my new suspension on...it is -1 in the rear from the factory according to the FSM...whoops and the negative camber I gained on my 4th gen in the rear after eibachs was done at different shops...
Old 11-06-2005, 11:29 AM
retired moderator

Originally Posted by michaelnyden
that's strange cause looking at my printout from two different places shows almost -1 degree of camber in the rear...and I know nothing is damaged as this car has been immaculately cared for and babied...

in fact when I had my 4th gen...the rear gained negative camber when it was lowered on eibachs...

but what you are saying makes sense....but so does computer printout's from different laser utilizing alignment shops...
Per the FSM,
the rear camber has a nominal (standard) camber of -1.00 deg (minimum -1.45 and maximum 0.15 to remain in-spec if bent), so your-1 camber is correct and at factory standards.

EDIT: I see you just figured that out while I was typing

oh and btw, the metal sleeve is slightly shorter than the LCA bushings...I saw your post...mine look like that...it's not really a problem...
thanks, I figured as much but just wanted to be sure
Old 11-06-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by 1FSTMAX
Seems like your car was screeching and sliding around all those turns.
I drove it that day and I was getting better times than so many other cars that were more prepared. Why don't we have a little friendly maxima vs maxima shootout at willow springs? I can arrange it through freshalloy.com .

-Larry
Old 11-06-2005, 04:35 PM
retired moderator

it wouldn't be a fair shootout without the east coast maximas there!
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 PM

I'm down for it..!
Old 02-25-2006, 01:51 PM

michaelnyden - what parts did you use to make brake ducts? Do you have any close up pics.

I'm going to make some brake ducts and I'm trying to get some ideas
Old 03-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

you can go the expensive way by getting specific brake cooling duct hose made of nomex and expensive "naca" ducts and such or you can just do what I did and go to the hardware store and get washer/dryer hose which is bendable in any way you want and stretcheable and then I got hose clamps and for the intake part, these black plastic scoops which are also found at hardware stores, not sure what they are really used for though...I will post pics up when I can...