Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Suspension help, thank you

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 05:20 PM

Suspension help, thank you

Hey guys, i have an 03 SE and after a spirited canyon run i have decided that this car stock handles like crap. Any bumps on the turns make the car feel horribly unstable and understeer in sharper corners is also annoying.

I just bought some progress springs off another .orger and I was wondering what shocks you guys would recomend running with this setup. Also should i get a rear sway and does the fstb help any? Thanks for your help in advance, if i cant get this heap handling better i might just give up on it and sell it.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All the things you mention will make a world of difference. Made me a happier person, after I installed the rsb, fstb, and H&R springs w/ tokico blues.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:25 AM

thanks thats really nice to hear. i realize the rsb should improve the back but does the fstb make a noticeable difference. Also how does the backend feel on long slightly uneven sweepers? the back was almost scary last time i tried spiritedly driving a road like that.

thanks for the help and keep the ideas comming! From what i am understanding the tokkico blues might not be dampened enough to handle the progress springs... is this true? I know they worked really well with the prokit and rsb in my gsr.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:43 AM

The car will feel tighter on ll turns, gives you confidence to take the turns faster. I have the blues, cause there was nothing else out there at the time. You have so many choices now, AGX, tokico illumias etc. Do a search, I heard many good things about the other shocks and struts.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
thanks thats really nice to hear. i realize the rsb should improve the back but does the fstb make a noticeable difference. Also how does the backend feel on long slightly uneven sweepers? the back was almost scary last time i tried spiritedly driving a road like that.
Here are some comments that I had on the RSB and FSTB effects:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=412478

I posted some links to what others have said about the RSB (on a lowered Max) as well. For FSTB effects, you will feel some a tendency towards more neutral handling with the RSB. Once again, as a disclaimer, this is all based on my opinion and based on daily driving and not track or auto-x experience (although Bejay1 and Bluesbrker, couple guys with track experience, did agree with me somewhat).

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
thanks for the help and keep the ideas comming! From what i am understanding the tokkico blues might not be dampened enough to handle the progress springs... is this true? I know they worked really well with the prokit and rsb in my gsr.
The Blues do not dampen the Progress springs enough. The drop is too low and springs too stiff for those struts. The ride was nice when roads were smooth, but became bouncy over uneven surfaces. I went from Blues to Illuminas and its a world of difference (provided you set the Illuminas minimum 3, mine are set at 4 all round). It is now much harsher, but there isn't the annoying bounciness of the Blues.

And like already said, do a search because this stuff has been discussed a lot already. I know I've posted this info at least several times in the 5th Gen forums.