Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Types of Shift Lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 11:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Types of Shift Lights

I'm looking for a shift light and seeing what options I have out there....
This will mainly be used for road racing, and I was considering some sequential type or barometer type of shift light. Any Ideas???
Old 02-22-2006, 06:28 AM
this place is dead

Originally Posted by NISMOPower
I'm looking for a shift light and seeing what options I have out there....
This will mainly be used for road racing, and I was considering some sequential type or barometer type of shift light. Any Ideas???
My suggestion is not to bother unless you are drag racing. Road racing is one of those deals where depending on what's going down on the track you end up holding gears longer than you should to be faster, rather than shift. Plus, from my limited experience, unless you're already an experienced road racer and trying to eek out some extra 0.1 seconds, the shift lights will just distract you.
Old 02-22-2006, 07:06 AM
Driving is the next best thing

Originally Posted by 97SEdriver
My suggestion is not to bother unless you are drag racing. Road racing is one of those deals where depending on what's going down on the track you end up holding gears longer than you should to be faster, rather than shift. Plus, from my limited experience, unless you're already an experienced road racer and trying to eek out some extra 0.1 seconds, the shift lights will just distract you.
I for one think they are very useful. There are certain situations when you need to concentrate on what's going on around you but the fear of hitting the rev limiter draws your attention back to your tachometer.

If you set it right before the redline, just as a warning sign, it will help you keep your eyes where they are supposed to be and still not hit the revlimiter since you WILL see it, no matter what you're looking at.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:53 AM

I got a Gtech SS for Christmas and it has a very effective shift light built in to it, gives other data, too. All that and all you have to do is plug it into your cig lighter.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by DrKlop
I for one think they are very useful. There are certain situations when you need to concentrate on what's going on around you but the fear of hitting the rev limiter draws your attention back to your tachometer.

If you set it right before the redline, just as a warning sign, it will help you keep your eyes where they are supposed to be and still not hit the revlimiter since you WILL see it, no matter what you're looking at.
Yeah, this was the typical reason that I wanted a shift light, so I can concentrate more on the road and other cars...

Originally Posted by BigEnos
I got a Gtech SS for Christmas and it has a very effective shift light built in to it, gives other data, too. All that and all you have to do is plug it into your cig lighter.
How accurate is that? Is there any videos or something that we can see???

Ok so any recommendations for shift lights???

Thanks
Chris
Old 02-22-2006, 01:48 PM

This was something similar in what I wanted but I wanted something more percise and longer in rpm ranges...
http://www.mrtrally.com.au/performan...rt_revlite.htm

What's your guys opinion???
Old 02-23-2006, 06:02 AM

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html#

For the shift light. It seems accurate enough for a shift light. You aren't driving a top fuel dragster, it's a Maxima on a road course! FWIW it seems to be spot-on compared to my tachometer in the Camaro.
Old 02-23-2006, 10:37 AM
Driving is the next best thing

I heard that Auto Meter Pro-shift Lite is pretty accurate, but I belie the price is like 100 - 110 bucks...

http://www.autometer.com/cat_accessories.aspx?sid=31