Autocrossing and Road Course Racing Enjoy and discuss the fun through the twisties at your favorite auto-x event. Check out the links to the SCCA website to locate your local club.

Road Course Videos - Import Alliance 2011 - High Performance Driving Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:09 AM

Road Course Videos - Import Alliance 2011 - High Performance Driving Experience

Here are some videos (with different vantage points) of my 2k2 Maxima at the High Performance Driving Experience at Nashville Super Speedway during the 2011 summer Import Alliance Meet.

Session #1
http://youtu.be/4Fu9mJurGps

Session #2
http://youtu.be/dIYpOCHinlI

Session #3
http://youtu.be/FJcxkgHk0_0

Session #4
http://youtu.be/YNROs21SYEg

Session #5
http://youtu.be/ZbbspdCcXo0

Comments welcome!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:32 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

What kind of camera and lap timer setup are you using?

I liked the 3rd video as it gives the best perspective of speed for the viewer, but from the intake noise it sounded like you were holding back a bit. So out of curiosity why were the lap times in the 4th video a bit quicker than all the others?
Old 02-28-2012, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
What kind of camera and lap timer setup are you using?

I liked the 3rd video as it gives the best perspective of speed for the viewer, but from the intake noise it sounded like you were holding back a bit. So out of curiosity why were the lap times in the 4th video a bit quicker than all the others?
I was using a Go Pro HD camera for all my video.

A lot of the holding back came from local yellows (not always visible from the video perspective). I think by the 4th video, my confidence level had increased. I was braking later and harder. The Hankook slicks that I was running had a temperature sweet spot of about lap 3 and 4. Past that, they got too hot and traction would go away super quickly. Plus the slicks were autocross hardness, not road course hardness.

The timing was done the old fashioned way. I picked a spot on the track (usually the start/finish line on the front straight), and chopped the video at that point (and measured the time). It is not very accurate, but close enough for my tastes. I did not have a transponder for these laps.

Thanks for checking out my videos. I tried my best to give different vantage points with my Go Pro. If you watch the last video (with the camera pointing backwards), you will see the race setup S2000 come around one of the last turns before the front straight in a pretty nice drift.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Maxima.org Insomniac

Originally Posted by 6spd_Hayes
I was using a Go Pro HD camera for all my video.

A lot of the holding back came from local yellows (not always visible from the video perspective). I think by the 4th video, my confidence level had increased. I was braking later and harder. The Hankook slicks that I was running had a temperature sweet spot of about lap 3 and 4. Past that, they got too hot and traction would go away super quickly. Plus the slicks were autocross hardness, not road course hardness.

The timing was done the old fashioned way. I picked a spot on the track (usually the start/finish line on the front straight), and chopped the video at that point (and measured the time). It is not very accurate, but close enough for my tastes. I did not have a transponder for these laps.

Thanks for checking out my videos. I tried my best to give different vantage points with my Go Pro. If you watch the last video (with the camera pointing backwards), you will see the race setup S2000 come around one of the last turns before the front straight in a pretty nice drift.
Yeah I saw the 5th video with the S2000 with the oversteer, they are difficult cars to keep from getting loose. I recall a very rainy event up at NHMS when a bunch of S2000s showed up and most of them ended up in the same run group as me. At one point I thought there was a cop behind me because one of the S2000s decided to follow the same FWD line as my car into turns 9 & 10 ( ) , which is a sharp left going downhill into a right hander and violently spun out at least a 720 before barely missing the wall. So with the heavy rain all I saw behind me was a pair of flashing blueish HID lights.

Anyways I might get a GoPro setup this year and start recording track events. I wanted something that can be front mounted on the splitter and another filming the pedal area with the heel toe and what not. Also looking at getting a set of Hoosier R6s for dry track days, should be fun.

Last edited by 98SEBlackMax; 02-28-2012 at 09:20 PM.