Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Why No Amor-All????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 09:58 AM
OG and counting...

The problem with using armor all on dashes is the type of silicone that is in the product along with a lack of UV protection. Protectants such as Vinylex carry a water based silicone that is less likely to brown or cause damage to the surfaces it is applied to. Plus, Vinylex has UV inhibitors that prevent the protectant from cooking the dashboard and eventually cracking the vinyl.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Actually "original" Armor All should be safe these days and they're just still fighting their past mistakes. Pretty much all water-based, milky coloured dressings are based on the same stuff anyway.

The products you really should avoid is the solvent-based stuff with petroleum distillates, which is bad for vinyl and rubber if you use it frequently. Usually these are the clear, colourless "Ultra Mega Ghetto Shine" products that you see on the shelves. In almost all cases you can double check by reading the back of the bottle and looking for the (required) warning about petroleum distillates or similar solvents. If the product comes in a bottle you can't see through, just check the back for this warning, and open it up and look at the liquid sitting in the straw to see if it looks like milk. If these both check out it's probably "safe".
Old 06-17-2003, 04:38 PM

I use Zaino's leather cleaner & conditioner. Brings the new car leather smell back and has UV 40 protection.
I use it on my dash as well... The high gloss look is out as far as I'm concerned.