Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

best care for black cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 11:15 PM

best care for black cars?

I'm picking up my 04 Black Max SE today and I'm sure its going to look great, but I'm scared how its gonna look in a year or two lol...

My 2k1 Max was silver, aka I can key the car and you don't even notice. I don't have any experience with a black/dark colored car and am concerned about swirl marks and scratches. While I know theres not much you can do about scratches, if you get them you get them, I was just wondering whats the best way to avoid swirls, and the best way to wax/compound on dark colors.

Most people tell me the carwash places are a no-no for black cars because it will give you swirl marks like no other, anything else I should/shouldn't do to avoid them and other blemishes?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:24 PM

i havea 98 black/black max. just wash the car ->yourself<- a lot. watch out when you use any machines to clean it. basically be ready to commit yourself
Old 09-29-2003, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by enjetek
i havea 98 black/black max. just wash the car ->yourself<- a lot. watch out when you use any machines to clean it. basically be ready to commit yourself

I figured thats what i would have to do, anything special you do when doing it yourself b/c its black? or just wash it like any other you would by hand?
Old 09-29-2003, 11:51 PM

do NOT use quick detail wax's IE srpay wax.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:55 PM
Schnell kaputt

Waterspots and dirt will become your enemy.

When I wash mine, I use the hose only, and no head nozzles. For the most part, it helps eliminate much of the waterspotting, also easier on the paint. I'm pretty paranoid about about paint defects, since I have enough already. Also, I try not to dry the car with towels if there's only just a very small puddle of water in an area. It tends to streak everywhere and make it worse.

Also try to keep your washing towels/cloths as clean as possible. I had this smallest specks of dirt on my washing mit and it put a few scratches on my spoiler.

I hope you have a covered garage, I don't, and I've found that my Max gets dirty within a few hours of washing it. I'm not sure if this is the result of, but I find that parking under the direct sunlight seems to leave these "spiderweb" effects in the paint.

Anyways, enjoy your new Max, you'll definitely going to have to upkeep that much more
Old 09-30-2003, 12:08 AM

the "spiderweb" deal is from using the wrong towels to dry the car, and spray wax, and basic neglect of the paint itself.
these can be removed, along with other scratches.

in short, keep it clean and waxed. you'll be fine
Old 09-30-2003, 12:10 AM

yup lol i agree with bonka. i use this plastic thing it's like a wiper blade to get off most of the water. i also wash my car in the morning so the sun doesn't spot the water. i just soap it like crazy, wash the 19's, hose it down, dry asap, and then clean the windows. garage if possible but use clean cloths for washing and clean towels for drying. let's just say i need to wash it every week unlike some cars because you can get away with it and i would to it more frequently if i had more time
Old 09-30-2003, 03:16 AM

The spiderweb also occurs because of washing and wiping in circular patterns (like Karate Kid, I guess). Instead, try wiping and waxing lengthwise along the car, one direction. Of course, this may result in a grain-like pattern, but personally I think it's preferrable than the spiderweb scratches. And of course, avoid any automated car-wash.
Lots of water, clean water in the bucket. Hose off before any washing to loosen the dirt. Avoid washing in the sun.
Old 09-30-2003, 04:05 PM

Use a good car wash soap, a good clean mit and wash whenever necessary. Keep the car waxed. I use Meguiar's Gold Class products and they work for me. I also use a California Water Blade and a good chamois to dry the car (with no problems). In between washes I use a California duster and quick detailer for bird crap and other kinds spots (only when necessary). This is my second black car and no problems. I polish/wax 2 - 3 times a year and fortunately I have a garage to keep it in. Black cars when cared for, are beautiful IMO. Enjoy!!
Old 09-30-2003, 04:38 PM
OG and counting...

Originally Posted by fixxxer
I'm picking up my 04 Black Max SE today and I'm sure its going to look great, but I'm scared how its gonna look in a year or two lol...

My 2k1 Max was silver, aka I can key the car and you don't even notice. I don't have any experience with a black/dark colored car and am concerned about swirl marks and scratches. While I know theres not much you can do about scratches, if you get them you get them, I was just wondering whats the best way to avoid swirls, and the best way to wax/compound on dark colors.

Most people tell me the carwash places are a no-no for black cars because it will give you swirl marks like no other, anything else I should/shouldn't do to avoid them and other blemishes?

a) Use a two bucket method when washing
b) Ensure that your towels, pads, and mitts are cleaned so that there are no dirt particles in them
c) Do not wash or wax the vehicle in a circular motion. Linear only
d) If using a CWB or Absorber, throroughly rinse it to ensure any dirt particles were removed.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:14 PM

what wax do you guys use on black? mine is in great need of a wash and wax
Old 09-30-2003, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by PrinzII
Do not wash or wax the vehicle in a circular motion. Linear only
uh oh, does that apply to any dark color max?
Old 09-30-2003, 06:24 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Originally Posted by Fosgate Fan
uh oh, does that apply to any dark color max?
Yup, it does. Actually it can apply to the light colors too, but it's much harder to see the minor swirls and imperfections on the lighter colors.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Good points made by all, but one thing not mentioned is the VAST importance of proper washing media. Use only genuine sheepskin mitts (leather inside), genuine 100% cotton chenille pads/mitts (shop carefully!), or microfiber mitts. Sponges and other synthetic mitts can lead to scratch city. This is a BLACK car. Washing it properly is critical because that is one of the leading causes of swirls, no matter what direction you wipe in!

Then see Prinz II's post.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by R5a7B
what wax do you guys use on black? mine is in great need of a wash and wax
I used Meguiars Gold Class wax on my previous black car with excellent results.
Old 10-01-2003, 05:59 AM
An atavistic endeavor...

Wax recommendations are the same as always...Klasse, S100, Blitz,etc.

The key to keeping the car swirl free is in your washing and drying routines. Two bucket washing is an absolute must, and don't forget to use something made of cotton chenille instead of a sponge. Rinse the chenille frequently and change the rinse water when it gets dirty. When you dry, use Waffle Weave MF's or air or a combination of air and waffle weaves.

Auto carwashes aer out. Period. You can use the manual spray carwashes but save the brush for the wheels, if that.

Keep it clean but also remember that swirls are more or less inevitable on a car you actually drive and more rubbing = swirls or spiderwebs sooner. Polish is a fact of life if you want to keep it swirl free.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:27 AM
OG and counting...

Now if you want a "grocery list"....

a) Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
b) Chenille Mitt or Sheepskin Mitt (use Bman's guidelines)
c) Microfiber Waffle Weave towels. Check out www.pakshak.com for towels.
d) California Water Blade
e) Klasse, Zaino, Blackfire (Polymer Sealants/Protectants)
f) S100, Souveran, or Blitz (Carnuba Wax)
Old 10-01-2003, 09:48 AM

thanks everyone, much appreciated......

school sucks and im lazy, but hopefully ill get off my asssss and clean the car

it was waxed by the dealer, and already its dirty (i havent even had it 24 hours)
Old 10-01-2003, 11:00 AM

thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by R5a7B
thanks

Late buy my 2 cents.....

Third black car - learning more everyday!

-Meguiar's Three Step Every cupla months (no garage unfortunately!)
-One coat of wax once a month
-Same as all above for wash process
-Clay Bar for stubborn stuck-ons (CAREFULLY!)
-NO Dish Detergent!!!
-Everytime you dip your sheepskin washmitt in the bucket, give it a good rinsing with your free hand while submerged -- this will loosen any dirt particles trapped in the pile.

Check-out Meguiars.com for a recomendation of car care, and there are a few other sites for the more **** retentive that I can't remenber off-hand.

If you can afford it / stand it --- buy a car cover, and DON'T park under pine trees!!!!!!!!!!!!

good luck
gr
Old 10-01-2003, 02:38 PM

late but still apreciated thanks
Old 10-01-2003, 08:07 PM
DoGGy

DUST IS UR BIGGEST ENEMY. DUST DUST DUST.
u will hate that word for the rest of ur life !

Old 10-01-2003, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
DUST IS UR BIGGEST ENEMY. DUST DUST DUST.
u will hate that word for the rest of ur life !

oh i know, i got my car yesterday, and by this morning there was a film of dust all over it, it was just waxed from the dealer though, so it will come off easy but still... looks dirty
Old 10-02-2003, 11:04 AM
Schnell kaputt

Originally Posted by fixxxer
oh i know, i got my car yesterday, and by this morning there was a film of dust all over it, it was just waxed from the dealer though, so it will come off easy but still... looks dirty
As long as it is not dust mixed with rain or tree sap or driving next to people who start hosing down their windshield with their wipers and washer fluid
Old 10-03-2003, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bonka
As long as it is not dust mixed with rain or tree sap or driving next to people who start hosing down their windshield with their wipers and washer fluid

oh yes, it rained yesterday for like 15 minutes, it looks sooooooo disgusting now... i gotta go buy all the sht to clean, anywhere i can get it online , all in one shot....

OH and also..... what is the "2 bucket method" i dont clean much but will start now.... and dont know what that is
Old 10-14-2003, 04:48 PM

yea...what's 2 bucket method?
Old 10-14-2003, 05:48 PM

one bucket with soapy water, one with fresh water... dip your mitt in the soapy water, wash a section, dip it in the fresh water to rinse out, then dip back in soapy water, wash more... etc etc
Old 10-15-2003, 06:34 PM

I should add that you should really squeeze or wring out some of the rinse bucket water, otherwise later on you'll be just transferring dirty water into the soap bucket.

By the time you're done the rinse bucket should be more full and the soap bucket nearly empty, but clean.
Old 10-30-2003, 11:15 AM

YOU THINK YOU HAVE IT BAD? I LIVE ON A DIRT ROAD WITH A DARK GREEN I30 WITH 20's!!!!! Try keeping that clean....
Old 11-28-2003, 02:48 PM

I use Zymol on my black 98 with good results. I see that a few of yoru guys dont approve of using detail spray? Once in a while, i'll apply some Mothers showtime detail spray.....I think it comes out pretty good.