Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Just a dab?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 06:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just a dab?

Hi there,

Yes its a newbie question, but I have to ask. I'm so used to the old way of waxing a car with Turtle wax. Put on a ton of it, and 'wax on, wax off'. But now with my Max, I won't do that! I ordered Zaino and I was reading how to wax my car now. It says that a dab of wax the size of a dime should cover the entire hood. But can it? I find myself using more than a 'dab' of wax for the hood and other parts of the car. Am I using too much or is it just the way I'm applying the wax? There is a slight haze when I'm applying the wax. I'm thinking there should be more. Any suggestions would be appreciated it! Thanks!

Andy
Old 07-08-2004, 11:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I would follow the instructions. Keep in mind that you're not applying a "wax". Turtle Wax is a wax, and technically Zaino isn't.

One way or the other, a good rule of thumb is that thinner is better when applying products to your paint finish. You're not supposed to slop it on.

Bob
Old 07-09-2004, 05:18 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

Go with the dab. It doesn't seem like enough, but it's the correct amount.

I use Klasse and like Zaino, they say to use just a very small amount. It works well for me. If too much is used, it's really hard to get off.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:11 PM

Hmm.... even with your old Turtle Wax, you really did not need to use a ton of it either.

Unless you're trying to actually rub the paint with a mild cleaner wax to shine it back up a little bit, most waxes will work with very sparing amounts applied, regardless of if it is a "wax" or "sealant". You don't have to see a visible, white coat of hazy wax for you to have applied any, because only an invisible amount actually sticks to the surface anyway.

With pure, highly concentrated products like Zaino (and Klasse) meant to be applied to a prepped surface, you should be able to get more than one coat per ounce of product. This is a bit extreme, but I got good enough to apply 5 coats of Klasse per ounce with some practice...
Old 07-12-2004, 04:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks guys. I thought I was doing something wrong there for a minute even though the paint shined. I'll be getting the Klasse also and will be trying it. Should I put on Klasse AIO and then the glaze? Thanks again.

Andy
Old 07-12-2004, 09:36 PM

Why don't you stick with Zaino for a while and see how you like it? Unless you don't like the Zaino application process (which has its advantages actually...) you are not going to see much difference switching to Klasse. Zaino has always been quite user-friendly, but with Klasse you have to be a bit more careful. It sounds like you're fairly new to all this, so I'm not sure what you really need to do is to spend the cash on buying more of the same "kind" of product... there's a ton of other aspects to fine paint care than just buying more high-end waxes. Maybe take a peek at some detailing writeups (like at BetterCarCare) if you want to learn about more than just the waxing step.