Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

has anyone here steam cleaned their interior?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 08:18 AM
no more maxima...

has anyone here steam cleaned their interior?

I am thinking of steam cleaning my entire interior. I figure this is the best way to get rid of any odors and killing germs. Yay or nay?
Old 11-13-2004, 11:16 PM

I do mine several times a year. I originally used a hoover Steam Vac, which was adequate. But now I have a Thermax, which does a much better job. If you don't have your own machine, it would be worth renting one for a day or 2.

A few key things before you start, though:

1) Do not do your headliner. If it gets too wet (like when using a machine), the adhesive can fail, and the headliner will droop. It is also a very delicate fabric.
2) Remove your seats. You'll be able to do a much better job. Not to mention you'll probably be surprised what is under there. It's very easy. Four bolts plus any electrical connectors for the front seats. Rear bench has two clips you pull out. Rear back has 4 10mm bolts (accessible after removing the bench part). And you can steam clean the entire seat with it outside the vehicle much easier. Don't forget the sides and backs.
3) However tempting, don't over do it when mixing shampoo concentrate. Shampoo residue left in the carpet will attract dirt.
4) Vacuum first VERY thoroughly.
5) Spot clean by hand if necessary with a good APC (all purpose cleaner diluted properly) or carpet spot remover. A scrub brush (I have a brush for my PC 7336; excellent) will help with spots and raise the nap.
6) Rinse if needed (used too much shampoo or the type of shampoo requires rinsing)
7) Remember that extracting (sucking up) the bad stuff is what actually gets the carpet clean. If it isn't sucked up, all you accomplished was spreading it around. When you think you sucked it all up, go over it again to make sure. Also speeds up drying.
8) Plan most of an entire day for this.
9) Depending on how nasty your carpets/seats are, it may take several times to get it spotless.
10) The shampoo mix will get on your vinyl and plastic unintentionally while you're spraying. Wipe it up immediately so it doesn't create "water spots" or "clean spots" on these surfaces. I always do a good vinyl and plastic cleaning afterwards anyways as part of my interior detailing.
11) I use ScotchGuard on all my fabric after it has completely dried. This has prevented quite a few stains in my car. It is much easier to use it with the seats removed. Keep a damp rag very handy (as in in your hand) while spraying so you can immediately wipe it off of plastic, vinyl, etc just to be safe. Clean your interior windows after spraying. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation; the fumes are hazardous and can overcome a person suddenly. Let it dry thoroughly.

It can be time consuming to steam clean an entire car. But it is worth it when done properly. Take your time, and you'll be amazed at the results. And people will comment on how clean your car smells (not just how good a coverup scent smells, but how actually clean it smells).

Hope this helps. If you have any questions, ask away.

Dave
Old 11-14-2004, 01:13 AM
no more maxima...

Dave you have some good tips there. I didn't imagine it would take an entire day...that is something I do not have time for right now, so hopefully 5 hours tops will get it done for me.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:40 PM
2060lbs and falling...

I did my headliner with a RugDoctor machine and it looks beautiful again and doesn't droop. Just be careful. BTW, I did it because my sunroof leaked and stained it all up. Everything else Dave mentioned I'd agree with.