Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

How clean are you?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 02:57 PM

How clean are you?

I've been accused of being TOO clean when it comes to my car. I vaccum like 3-4 times a week (with all the winter sand) and I refuse to let anyone sit in my back seat. When possible I drive by myself when hanging with friends to spare someone sitting in my car and dragging the dirt in on my mats. It seems like for some reason when someone else sits in your car they bring in 3 gallons of sand whereas I tap off my shoes and minimize the sand. Its a bit crazy I'll admit, but I want to know if anyone is as clean as me or sees this as perfectly normal?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i don't think its "perfectly normal" but i know what you're saying. i do the same kinda thing. i plan ahead and lay old towels down to keep from passenger getting dirt or mud in my car. i know this is somewhat being paranoid or ****, but hey i work hard to keep my rides clean and most people overlook that or dont care so ...
Old 02-01-2009, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Holty
i don't think its "perfectly normal" but i know what you're saying. i do the same kinda thing. i plan ahead and lay old towels down to keep from passenger getting dirt or mud in my car. i know this is somewhat being paranoid or ****, but hey i work hard to keep my rides clean and most people overlook that or dont care so ...
haha i lay towles to, my gf is like wtf but like you I work very hard to maintain my car, its my only one for now and it will payoff when it comes to selling later on.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:04 PM

Yea I hate cleaning the car then having some dummy ruin the back seats by bringing in mud and other stuff on their shoes
Old 02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I can has?

Haha, I've always thought I was crazy. I'm really obsessive compulsive about my car's cleanliness. I always keep four spare old towels in the trunk to lay down if it's rainy/sandy/dirty out. Only the girls *****, guys usually take notice to me tapping off my shoes before I get in and they usually do so too. But I'll take the floormat out after I get done dropping them off and bang it out with my hand. I'll let people ride in the back or whatever, but I do try to take my own car when we go places or have only one person ride with me; seems like with more than one person my car gets laggy because of the weight too.

hah....

Old 02-01-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pearl93VE
Haha, I've always thought I was crazy. I'm really obsessive compulsive about my car's cleanliness. I always keep four spare old towels in the trunk to lay down if it's rainy/sandy/dirty out. Only the girls *****, guys usually take notice to me tapping off my shoes before I get in and they usually do so too. But I'll take the floormat out after I get done dropping them off and bang it out with my hand. I'll let people ride in the back or whatever, but I do try to take my own car when we go places or have only one person ride with me; seems like with more than one person my car gets laggy because of the weight too.

hah....

i went as far as getting a portable dusbusters that powers via the car lighter so i could do touch ups , and i also keep a can of pledge (for the plastic/vynyl) in the trunk with some rags paper towles and window cleaner...and in the summer the car duster is always on board
Old 02-01-2009, 10:05 PM

I dont put cleaning supplies in my trunk, but thats a good idea. I'm a clean person when it comes down to cars, but my room, and shop are just dirty with car parts and stuff.

I clean my car when ever I'm bored, or have some extra time and dont have anything to do. My paint is pretty much screwed, but I still try to keep it clean as much as possible. The inside of my car is near perfect (except for the carpets). Theres a couple scratches on the dash and stereo adptor (because the stupid *** circuit city peiople dont know what "Put it in nicely, no scratches, no dents, if I see no scratches or dents, then I'll pay you an extra $50." which I paid about $80. for them to install everything). I clean my car as much as possible, so I vacuum them, clean them with water and soap, and put some luandry detergent in some of the soap. It smells ok afterwards.

I've been called a "car clean freak", basicly because I clean my car, and many other people cars.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:41 PM
I can has?

Another thing a lot of people don't understand: The more often you keep up with cleaning, the easier it is to do. So yeah, I vacuum and wipe down the inside every few days, but it only takes around five or ten minutes each time. Then about once a month I do a full interior detail. (The thing that takes most guys 2 or 3 hours not counting time for rugs/shampoo to dry) But since everything is so kept up, it takes a max of 45 minutes to an hour for a pretty full detail of the interior with often better results than the people who wait to clean. (Think- less time working on trying to get dirt and wear spots out- prolonging the longevity of the panels/rugs/dash/carpet/headliner).
Old 02-02-2009, 03:19 AM
Schnell kaputt

I also keep cleaning items in the car, notably quick detail and microfibre towels (for bird droppings, etc), some terrycloth towels and a Swiffer for the dust. I should probably stock a few more items (like a spray bottle of water).

I don't mind having passengers although I hate it when they touch the windows. I too am also amazed how my passengers can track in dirt and leaves and scuff up the inside of the doors, the back seats, the glovebox and surrounding area and the door trim kickplate panel.

I also agree with what's mentioned in that it's a lot easier to clean up regularly for 15-20 minutes rather than do one big cleanup when it's filthy.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:14 PM

i dont like riding with ppl. i vacuum maybe twice a week. in the summer i wash at least once a week sometimes twice. as far as the floor mats its really not too big of a deal because if they get messed up ill just buy new ones from the dealership. i also keep a few micro fibers in the car along with meguires quick detailer, tire foam or some other type of dressing an invisible glass which i use for my glass grill and rims. some times if i go out for pizza or anything that i find myself waiting ill do my rims. i have one micro just for rims one for windows an one for paint. ppl say im pretty ****. i think im alot better than when i had my galaxy black titan! i use to clean it right after it rained an dusted it at least twice a day!!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 PM

good too hear that I'm not the only neat freak lol. But in a response to all of the above...I totally agree that the constant upkeep of the interior does allow for quicker detailing sessions, and I am also amazed at how passengers mess up the interior more in one sitting then I can do in a week without cleaning. I've had people brings sticks, leaves, bugs, trash...its amazing. I ride solo now because of this, and when I do ride in someone else's car I always am courteous enough to tap off my shoes and not massages the dirt into their carpets and mats..I guess this is why we are on here discussing it. We all take our cars a little more seriously, and put so much work , time , money, sweat and whatever else ito our cars that something like this could aggravate us!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:13 PM

im a car neat freak too. house i dont mind being messy but not the car. i rarely eat in the car unless im starving, in winter if i get sprayed with muck from a truck i make a stop to the carwash right away and i go 2-3 times a week anyways, and i vacuum a few times a month. dash gets wiped with some moist dash cleaning cloths every couple weeks, rims get cleaned, etc. trunk only has the subwoofer which takes up half of it, snowbrush, polish, some drying rags, dash wipes, and thats it.

worst is in winter when people have shoes with slush on them and those fricken little pebbles and dont smack their shoes together or clean them. more work for me getting those pebbles vacuumed. i rarely ever have passengers and only one of my friends half **** cleans his shoes off
Old 02-05-2009, 09:17 PM

i agree with keeping it clean than not cleaning it for a long time....saves time! and i very much agree with having people in the back seat...i hate it! cuz as soon as they put there shoes in there its no longer clean and need to redo it. Im also considering in the future buying a 2 seater so no one is behind me and itll always be clean.

p.s. i might try the towels trick to keep it clean
Old 02-06-2009, 06:36 AM

I am a huge neat freak. I like all my stuff very clean all the time. My house is clean, my shop is clean too. I too keep towels and cleaning stuff in my cars. I just bought my Max this week, first thing I did when I got it home was start cleaning it. I am going to buff it out this weekend. I do a lil detailing on the side When I had my 96 Impala SS, I kept my California duster in the trunk, I would get off work, dust my car off, then drive home. I will be doing the same thing with the Max too.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 AM

the one good thing about maximas being a 4 door is if someone does go in the back, you can vacuum easier. coupes you have to flip down the front seat, crawl in the back, etc. 4 doors you can also lug some stuff in the back easier than coupes. nothing is worse than having to sit in the back seat of a coupe.

the one good thing about my driving is almost everyone that cruises with me doesnt want to be around my driving again
Old 02-06-2009, 10:47 PM

thats the poiint no one would want to be in the backseat so no want to get in.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 PM

Im kinda **** about keeping my car clean. Id say on average i probably wash/vacuum my car 3-4 times a week, full claybar/polish/wax once a year, while i wax/polish probably 2 times a year.

I think ive ever only cleaned the interior carpets once with the machine, if that says anything about how **** i am about passengers with dirty feet. One time i made this guy use his sweater to put under his shoes cuz they were muddy.

Oh and the backseat in my car, primarily has only 2 people in it, and im one of them if you catch my meaning
Old 02-07-2009, 07:55 PM

major fail today. stopped at DQ before i went to work, put the pepsi in the cup holder, drove off, then hit a bump. pepsi caught air, exploded allover the passenger floor. tried to do a matrix save and i bumped the shifter into neutral and after just pulled over. passenger side floor mat got raped with pepsi, the actual under carpeting not too bad, just the outside corners. gonna need some new floor mats tomorrow
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 PM

im trying to get those rubber mats all season from courtesy nissan or ebay
Old 02-11-2009, 02:27 PM
bald aggression est 78

I've actually banned people from my car's.i dont mind people riding in the car but take your trash with you, dont leave your cigarette butts in the ash tray. DONT TOUCH MY WINDOWS. i try to stay on top of things a good wipe down and vacuum every couple of days.All three cars are due for a good spring cleaning though. Im glad im not the only one thats a load off
Old 02-12-2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
I've actually banned people from my car's.i dont mind people riding in the car but take your trash with you, dont leave your cigarette butts in the ash tray
thats another thing, i %&*$%&$*% HATE IT when people leave gum wrappers and other crap in the storage in the doors and ashtrays

smokings a no go for me though, i dont smoke and my 92 has never been smoked in. previous owner doesnt smoke and he said noone ever smoked in it and with me noones ever smoked in it
Old 02-14-2009, 06:59 PM

rubber mats are the way to go..shame they cost a buttload in shipping. get em from daveb. best price you'll find. i loved mine.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:50 AM

My shorty gets tight every time I stop at a gas station, not to get gas but to clean the little dust off my rims....lol its funny..but gotta stay fresh
Old 02-19-2009, 03:30 PM
Banned

In the front, I put large towels over my floormats. In the back, I use one on either side and one in the middle over the mats and carpet. That traps the dirt and grass pretty good. I don't let anyone put 'anything' on my leather seats and I never 'ever' crowd my car. I only let one person ride in the back and he's my nephew. I also have a large towel in the back glass platform. It extends down over the top of the seats.

I will let my nephew and my moms eat in the car because they know if they spill something, I'll throw a tantrum you won't believe. So needless to say, they are very careful.

Oh! And absolutely no one is allowed to smoke in her. And that's cool because no one I haul around smokes anyway.

Last edited by max05; 02-21-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Revision
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM

I always like to keep a bottle of water handy to wash off the bird droppings. I try to get that off of the car ASAP before it stains the paint.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM

I try not to eat in my car and of course nobody else either. If it's possible, I will go inside to sit down and eat, just to keep my car clean. LOL

I had someone at a McDonald's drive through spill my Hi-C orange drink all ON and IN my car. I was soooo upset. After that, it was a rap! Less drive-thru's and more walk-ins....LOL

So, if the weather is nice, I will vacuum and wash my car almost every week just to keep it looking & smelling brand new!