Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Leather conditioner

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 09:50 AM

Leather conditioner

My passenger side seat seems to be getting a little dry. I use leather conditioner on all my seats about once a month. Is there any conditioner out there that will soften leather and bring back the softness? And what's the best conditioner out there to keep leather soft?
Old 10-08-2009, 04:49 AM

This is probably the best stuff out there, pretty expensive but well worth it.
http://www.leatherique.com/
Old 10-08-2009, 04:43 PM

IMO you should use a dedicated leather cleaner and a dedicated condition. I'm not a fan in the cleaner/conditioner in one. Woolite mixed 6:1 with water to clean and I like 4* conditioner or Poorboys leather stuff.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyd2k2
This is probably the best stuff out there, pretty expensive but well worth it.
http://www.leatherique.com/
I've got a leatherique kit, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. At this point, I'll probably wait until spring. Until then, I'm using Mother's Gold Class.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:53 PM

I have been using Meguiars Gold Class and it doesnt seem to be helping. I may go to an uphostery shop and see what they recommend.
Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM

Everything I have read caused me to purchase the leatherique. Hasn't arrived yet, but if it is good enough for Ferrari and Porsche clubs, it is good enough for me. Went ahead and got their bumper black dye as well. Hoping it does a similarly good job with my now grey/white rubber trim.

I will do pictures and stuff when it gets here
Old 10-09-2009, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by dtfstock
Everything I have read caused me to purchase the leatherique. Hasn't arrived yet, but if it is good enough for Ferrari and Porsche clubs, it is good enough for me. Went ahead and got their bumper black dye as well. Hoping it does a similarly good job with my now grey/white rubber trim.

I will do pictures and stuff when it gets here
Yes please let me know how it works when you do it. I hope it will bring it back. I dont want to have to pay to get the seats recovered.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:07 PM
You embarrass me.

I've heard really good things about Leatherique, but I have been using Lexol Cleaner + Lexol Conditioner for a while now, works great.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:03 AM

Been a long-time lexol user, and it's done mine and alot of people's leather seats well.
I have to say: the leather on the front seats of the Max is unUSually hard -- always HAS been. I think it's MADE to be that way -- and I've seen a few threads on this over the years.

My back seats are buttery soft, but not the front. I don't fault the Lexol - it's doing a great job of keeping the rear seat headrests soft and supple -- you know, the part that MOST people neglect that sits BAKING in the sun all of it's life?!?! Yeah -- that's the spot I'm talking about.

Go feel yours. I bet it's dry and cracked!!

Not mine.

Thanks Lexol.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider17; 10-23-2009 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:23 AM

I used Meguire Gold 2 days ago to clean the passenger seat on my 2k1 max. The seat was really dirty, the windshield has been removed and the car has been sitting in the garage for 3 years, getting rebuild. All I can say is wow, it took me an hour to clean it thoroughly, I used 2 tooth brush duck tape together to clean the stitches, the seats is almost like brand new now.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:42 AM

I just Cleaned AND COnditioned both cars yesterday with LEXOL, and I am constantly amazed at how much dirt and grit the cleaner pulls out of the seats!!!

I usually only CLEAN the seats once per year.
I use a rag, and warm bucket of water to wash and rinse between sections - and after I've thoroughly scrubbed all the leather surfaces, the water in the bucket is QUITE dirty!

IMpressive - as neither of my cars seats LOOKS dirty, but then again -- one is black, the other grey!

ANyway - can't go wrong with LEXOL stuff, even if it IS a bit pricey.
One bottle of each last me more than a year or two.

gr
Old 10-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Been a long-time lexol user, and it's done mine and alot of people's leather seats well.
I have to say: the leather on the front seats of the Max is unUSually hard -- always HAS been. I think it's MADE to be that way -- and I've seen a few threads on this over the years.

My back seats are buttery soft, but not the front. I don't fault the Lexol - it's doing a great job of keeping the rear seat headrests soft and supple -- you know, the part that MOST people neglect that sits BAKING in the sun all of it's life?!?! Yeah -- that's the spot I'm talking about.

Go feel yours. I bet it's dry and cracked!!

Not mine.

Thanks Lexol.

gr
Actually, the headrests on the rear seats as well as the front are vinyl... not leather. Only the seating surfaces are leather. But yes, the rear seat is much softer leather than the front. But my passenger side seat is much drier than the driver seat. So im looking for something that will soften it up.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:02 AM

saddle soap!

Saddle soap is a preparatory compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, and lanolin. It also contains bee's wax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by jason3361
saddle soap!

Saddle soap is a preparatory compound containing mild soap and softening ingredients such as neatsfoot oil, glycerin, and lanolin. It also contains bee's wax to protect leather. It is used for cleaning, conditioning and softening leather, particularly that of saddles and other horse tack, hence its name.
Where can i get it?