Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Input on Cleaning Products

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM

Input on Cleaning Products

Hey everyone; it was a nice day out in CT today and I decided to go ahead and take the 09' Max for a car wash. After the car wash I went to Pep Boys and bought some cleaning products for the whip. My question is have any of you used these products and whats your take on them?

Old 03-06-2010, 09:14 PM

You cant go wrong with meguiars or eagle one, top notch stuff!
they make a really awesome dash shine/cleaner, thats also can be used as tire shine and exterior plastics, with uv protection. It may be new i just got it, and really love it, its a hell of alot better then that armour all crap

Last edited by TomZ; 03-06-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by TomZ
You cant go wrong with meguiars or eagle one, top notch stuff!
they make a really awesome dash shine/cleaner, thats also can be used as tire shine and exterior plastics, with uv protection. It may be new i just got it, and really love it, its a hell of alot better then that armour all crap
Ya I figured that I would try them all out. I've been looking a a few sites on how to detail and everything. Now I just need to get a clay bar and some quick detail stuff for car shows and i'll be all set.

What are you using now?
Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Killa, I'd say you're on the right track. Cleaning clay is a must, personally I use clay magic but I've heard good things about meguiars products. You might also consider getting some microfiber towels, I found some at Sams for 10 or 15 bucks and they do the job great.

Check out http://www.autogeek.net/, I've shopped around quite a bit and they have good prices and a good selection of premium products. Check amazon to make sure you're getting a good deal.

Here's some links to some products that I like:

http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html - great for removing bugs and tar without chemicals

http://www.autogeek.net/odor-bomb-new-car.html - for freshening up the interior once or twice a year, really great for removing smoke and food odors.

http://www.amazon.com/Zwipes-744-Mic...949074&sr=8-38 - I use these for applying wax and protectant, their super soft and cheap.

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2010, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by KillaKam
Hey everyone; it was a nice day out in CT today and I decided to go ahead and take the 09' Max for a car wash. After the car wash I went to Pep Boys and bought some cleaning products for the whip. My question is have any of you used these products and whats your take on them?

ive used everything except the aresol nxt tire shine

the nat. shine protectant is excellent i like the matte look more than the high gloss shine
the quick interior spray from maeguiars is also a very good product that I pair with the natural shine

gold class leather spray i wasnt a big fan of...partially for the smell of it and becuayse i like the cream type conditioners
i use surf city garage voodoo leather rejuvinator its a great product that doesnt leave the leather feeling greasy and has a great smell

keep clean wheel spray works excellent if your not looking for a crazy shine but decent protection
be sure to have your wheels 100% dry or it seems to cloud up on the wheels (learn from my mistake)

as for a trie shine i usually use aresol sprays on the wheel wells and use the endurance tire shine gel on my tires

it lasts pretty long and has a goood shine without being too over the top

look into the nxt 2.0 wax (actually a sealant) its very easy on easy off (apply VERY sparingly)
also it your planning on showing your car off a little grab some ultimate detailer and ultimate wax sprays they are a great couple to do quick cleanups and a very quick wax for a great shine

sorry for the long post...once i start talking about detailing i can go on and on lol
Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by bill6639
ive used everything except the aresol nxt tire shine

the nat. shine protectant is excellent i like the matte look more than the high gloss shine
the quick interior spray from maeguiars is also a very good product that I pair with the natural shine

gold class leather spray i wasnt a big fan of...partially for the smell of it and becuayse i like the cream type conditioners
i use surf city garage voodoo leather rejuvinator its a great product that doesnt leave the leather feeling greasy and has a great smell

keep clean wheel spray works excellent if your not looking for a crazy shine but decent protection
be sure to have your wheels 100% dry or it seems to cloud up on the wheels (learn from my mistake)

as for a trie shine i usually use aresol sprays on the wheel wells and use the endurance tire shine gel on my tires

it lasts pretty long and has a goood shine without being too over the top

look into the nxt 2.0 wax (actually a sealant) its very easy on easy off (apply VERY sparingly)
also it your planning on showing your car off a little grab some ultimate detailer and ultimate wax sprays they are a great couple to do quick cleanups and a very quick wax for a great shine

sorry for the long post...once i start talking about detailing i can go on and on lol
No no not a problem at all.. Thank you for all of that information; I am new to this detailing thing so I am learning as I go and reading up on different things.

Thanx for the input
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 AM
Don't you know who I am?

Originally Posted by KillaKam
No no not a problem at all.. Thank you for all of that information; I am new to this detailing thing so I am learning as I go and reading up on different things.

Thanx for the input
Here is the best thing to do for daily drivers and a lack of professional equipment (i.e. hand detailing). I can tell you there are obviously other things that can be done to shine up the car, however, none of them are noticeable enough nor do they last long enough on a daily driver to be worth the tremendous extra effort.

First off: I use Meguiar's products, almost exclusively. I don't do this because Meguiar's distributes the absolute best products on the market, I do this because their products are peers to all the heavy players, and they're widely available for fairly cheap prices at WalMart. The only thing I use that is not Meguiar's is the actual car wash formula. I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine... I use it because I think it does a better job than most conventional car wash formulas and I find it quicker/easier to wash the car.

Things you need: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, Meguiar's Clay Kit, Meguiar's Swirl Remover, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Meguiar's NXT Generation Quick Wax, Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, Wheel brush, Microfiber wash mitt, 2 microfiber drying towels, 2 microfiber applicators, 2 foam applicators, and 4 microfiber detail cloths.

Step 1: Wash the car.

Step 2: Claybar. Wipe quick detailer with detail cloth after each section

Step 3: Swirl Remover. Apply with a microfiber applicator, wipe off with a clean detail cloth after each section. (Use compound with a seperate microfiber applicator for scratches in the clearcoat)

Step 4: NXT Generation Tech Wax. This is a polymer wax. After Claying the car, you have effectively removed every layer of protection you have, and then used a light abrasive to smooth out the clear coat. Using a polymer wax first helps give you long lasting protection (up to 6 months) and a base coat for the next step.

Step 5: Gold Class Wax. This is a Carnuba wax. It protects less (or for shorter periods of time) than a polymer wax, however, it definitely gives it a better, longer lasting shine.

You can also do small things like cleaning the windows with Invisible Glass window cleaner and crumpled newspaper, as well as use a tire dressing for a sharper overall look.

Best of luck.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rydicule
Here is the best thing to do for daily drivers and a lack of professional equipment (i.e. hand detailing). I can tell you there are obviously other things that can be done to shine up the car, however, none of them are noticeable enough nor do they last long enough on a daily driver to be worth the tremendous extra effort.

First off: I use Meguiar's products, almost exclusively. I don't do this because Meguiar's distributes the absolute best products on the market, I do this because their products are peers to all the heavy players, and they're widely available for fairly cheap prices at WalMart. The only thing I use that is not Meguiar's is the actual car wash formula. I use Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine... I use it because I think it does a better job than most conventional car wash formulas and I find it quicker/easier to wash the car.

Things you need: Optimum No Rinse Wash & Shine, Meguiar's Clay Kit, Meguiar's Swirl Remover, Meguiars Ultimate Compound, Meguiar's NXT Generation Quick Wax, Meguiar's Gold Class Wax, Wheel brush, Microfiber wash mitt, 2 microfiber drying towels, 2 microfiber applicators, 2 foam applicators, and 4 microfiber detail cloths.

Step 1: Wash the car.

Step 2: Claybar. Wipe quick detailer with detail cloth after each section

Step 3: Swirl Remover. Apply with a microfiber applicator, wipe off with a clean detail cloth after each section. (Use compound with a seperate microfiber applicator for scratches in the clearcoat)

Step 4: NXT Generation Tech Wax. This is a polymer wax. After Claying the car, you have effectively removed every layer of protection you have, and then used a light abrasive to smooth out the clear coat. Using a polymer wax first helps give you long lasting protection (up to 6 months) and a base coat for the next step.

Step 5: Gold Class Wax. This is a Carnuba wax. It protects less (or for shorter periods of time) than a polymer wax, however, it definitely gives it a better, longer lasting shine.

You can also do small things like cleaning the windows with Invisible Glass window cleaner and crumpled newspaper, as well as use a tire dressing for a sharper overall look.

Best of luck.
Awsome info on that man thank you very much for the helpful hints... I am going to do those steps in the summer time when I have time to do all of that.

Thanx again.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:42 AM

zymol for me, maguires does'nt last as long or look near as shiny when im done. 3m car wash, zymol detailer, then 2 coats of zymol feild glaze and your car will shine like the sun!!! i do use maguires liquid gold car wax occasionally as well.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the info, folks! I was looking for a good wax to use and found out more than I needed...thank you! I'll be ordering a few items from amazon now and get my Accord looking nice again.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:11 PM

your banned.....:matt93se:
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
your banned.....:matt93se:
Funny...I also have a new 2010 Max SV and been here quite a bit. I just want to make my wife feel better so I'll detail her car...she's jealous and wants to have MY car! LOL
Old 04-06-2010, 05:00 PM

MEGUIARS NXT IS THE BEST TRY THE WAX A LITTLE PRICEY BUT IS THE BEST BY FAR
Old 04-06-2010, 05:22 PM

I'm a Mother's fan, here's my spring and summer ritual. Mother's Claybar, then Carnuaba cleaning wax, finished off with Showtime Detailer Spray Wax. Car details the detailer spray every Sunday.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:15 PM

What do you guys use to clean the exterior black metals (example: winshield wiper area) and plastic/rubber?
Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by innofish
What do you guys use to clean the exterior black metals (example: winshield wiper area) and plastic/rubber?
To answer my own question and to help those who are researching...I bought Back To Black and turned my grayish plastics and metals into black again. It's not deep black but at least it gained some black back.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by cbeicht@hotmail.com
MEGUIARS NXT IS THE BEST TRY THE WAX A LITTLE PRICEY BUT IS THE BEST BY FAR
pricey???!!!!
Old 05-03-2010, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by innofish
I used tire shine, believe it or not. First I buffed the worn-looking metal parts. Then I tried wax. To no avail.

Finally, I said screw it and sprayed some tire shine into a rag and applied it to all the black parts of the car. Actually turned out pretty nicely. Still hasn't started to gray out, either.

OP: You're on the right path. You should definitely pick yourself up an interior detailer product.
Also, quick detailer for the outside of the car is great for in between washes when the car's just a little dirty. And a good paste wax is a must, too. Everything I'm using at this moment is Meguiar's. But after I've saved up a bit more, and use up everything I have, I'm going to try some of the slightly more expensive products and see how things go.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 05-03-2010 at 07:13 AM.