Detailing Discuss how to make your car sparkly clean for car shows, local meets, or any other reason. What products do others use and how do we get them? Get your questions answered in here.

Car bra removal!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 12:07 PM

Car bra removal!!

Hi all,

After some 'intense' googling, I didnt find much info on removing car bra's. Well I did, but they all had the same techniques.. I guess my technique is the same.

I just bought a 2000 Ti Model, and it had a really badly stuck on car bra thingy above the headlights which was getting cracked, and gone all hard.

I tried using the mrs's hair drier, but it took too long, so i borrowed my mates heat gun.. only had 2 settings - 60 and 600 deg celsius.. needless to say the highest setting melted some of the cover(NOT GOOD!!).

I bought goo off which seemed really harsh - tested in 1 small spot and it just melted the goo and plastic off - might sound good but i figured it might not be too good for the pain

I also picked up some of this stuff called De-Solv-it. Its citrus based... magic!!!!!!!!

Here's what I did:

1) Set the heat gun to 60 deg celsius and heated up a small section - 2-3 inch at a time
2) Quickly scraped the cover off CAREFULLY - had to do this a few times to scrap the glue as well
3) While the paint was hot - I poured a few drops of the Desolvit on it and rubbed it in with my fingers
4) Used a soft terry cloth to gently rub the goo off - Yes, it just came off!! I was just amazed at how easy it was

I did steps 1-4 until the entire thing was off. I quickly then washed the area off with just some regular car wash, an extra concentrated mixture though and let it sit for a while.

After it was dry, I just polished it using some Meguire's Swirlx.

That's it!

You CAN just melt the **** off, but the problem is that getting rid of the glue will be a real pain, as it would be glue and plastic mixed together, which I found was really hard. I had to let the desolvit stuff soak for about 10 mins before it came off(it did in the end tho)

The entire process took me about 2-3 hours, mainly cos I was a bit lazy and getting pissed off at it thinking who the **** would put this **** on.

Goo off would have probably worked better, but I was really sceptical so decided against it. Besides the desolvit smelt MUCH better

Anywho, here are the pics:

Before:

After:

Thanks to my tools and De-Solv-it:

Last edited by Hybridtheory; 11-02-2014 at 12:09 PM.