Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

Noob questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 10:24 AM

Noob questions

I definitely vote for some sort of sticky for noobs like me. You all may disagree though since you're all knowledgable.

By the way, I've got a '98 GXE, AT, short ram intake, working on a Y-pipe.

Some basic questions, how much should I expect to pay for each Dyno run? I'm planning on installing a Y-pipe soon so I was interested in Dyno-ing now and then after I get it installed but not if its going to cost me hundreds of dollars per run.

How does an air intake affect or not affect your Dyno run? Someone in another forum suggested I put my stock intake back on, or at least the stock resonator back on. When I asked why, he directed me to this forum but didn't answer my question. After reading some threads here (much of which I don't understand) I still don't see why the stock resonator is favorable on a short ram intake.

Last question, based on the threads I've read, a leaner A/F ratio is best for hp. I'm assuming also that this helps gas mileage/efficiency? Would the folks at my local Dyno shop help me make these tuning adjustments on the spot or is that more $$$$?

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

It should cost anywhere from 50-100 dollars depending where you're from.

www.dynojet.com has a list of places where facilities are located at.

Read some more of the threads on here about midpipes etc, they are here jsut a page away.

For N/A you want to be ~13.5:1 or so, between 13 and 14.

Above that is too lean, and below that is too rich.

The stock resonator on a 4th gen is reasonable because dynos have proven that an aftermarket mid-pipe adds undesirable spikes and valleys in the curve, and the stock keeps a smooth power curve.

Zack342(I think thats his S/N) proved this on the 4th gen 3.0L, and I did it on the 3.5L.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:07 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

if you plan to tune, make sure you have means to do that. i did not see where you mentioned having a vafc, safc or other tuning device. the install would have to be done before the dyno unless you are paying that shop to install it then dyno tune it. in the past, ive paid 45 for 3 pulls with a/f readings.
Old 07-21-2005, 02:32 PM

Good question, I was thinking along the lines of having the dyno shop do the tuning. Is that a bad idea/waste of money?

To be honest, I have no experience with a vafc, safc or any tuning device.

Can you point me to a thread or site to help me educate myself?

Thanks
Old 07-21-2005, 06:10 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by wayman
Good question, I was thinking along the lines of having the dyno shop do the tuning. Is that a bad idea/waste of money?

To be honest, I have no experience with a vafc, safc or any tuning device.

Can you point me to a thread or site to help me educate myself?

Thanks
i would hope the staff would be up on tuning but it would be your responsibility to purchase one of the said items. you could start by checking out apex'i website which makes the safc and vafc. after you get a feel for the product then i would try searching google for either product along with maxima and see what results you find.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Alex_V

Didnt think this needed a new thread, I want to tune the AFR on my 3ed gen 5 speed. Aside from going to the dyno and doing the pulls to get baseline AFR what do I need. I do need to do more research but I dont have the time, as Im not on the net much, Im working or getting it to run again.

~Alex