Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.

Lightened flywheel gains

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Hi, it seems many have the fidanza flywheels which are all over ebay, but has anyone tried the flywheels made by Unorthodox racing? Everyone seems to agree that UR makes the best crank pulley so why not try their flywheels? I will soon buy both a crank pulley and a flywheel for my 00 gxe max but with some of the known quality control issues with fidanza perhaps i will give UR a try , ill let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:49 AM

I have had a UR crank pulley and flywheel since 1998 or 1999 ( I was the prototype for each).

Both are very nice pieces. I noticed a nice gain with the crank pulley, not so much with the flywheel.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RacerX1320
Hi, it seems many have the fidanza flywheels which are all over ebay, but has anyone tried the flywheels made by Unorthodox racing? Everyone seems to agree that UR makes the best crank pulley so why not try their flywheels? I will soon buy both a crank pulley and a flywheel for my 00 gxe max but with some of the known quality control issues with fidanza perhaps i will give UR a try , ill let you guys know how it goes.

Becuase the UR flywheel is much heavier then the Fidenza. I had both flywheels in my hand and the UR was much heavier then the fidenza. The UR also uses the heavy alignment plate that goes over the stock flywheel. The fidenza does not use that plate.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by cld12pk2go
I have had a UR crank pulley and flywheel since 1998 or 1999 ( I was the prototype for each).

Both are very nice pieces. I noticed a nice gain with the crank pulley, not so much with the flywheel.

Boosted Maximas hit boost much faster with the alloy flywheel.

To go a bit off the subject I own a 94 hatchback civic. After new clutch and fidenza flywheel installed the car definitely reved up and was much faster. I noticed the gain on this 1.5 motor. It definitely benefits a 3.0 motor. Alot of people post a bunch of crap about a alloy flywheel. Everyone has their opinions. I only post what I have experienced. Nothing but positive things about it.

Im 100% pro on the alloy flywheel. I am totally against those heavy flywheels.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:01 AM
drag racing is for wussies

I got 100K miles on my Fidanza, I would never go back to OEM. I'm ready to do yet another clutch on the car (and put a Quaife in the tranny) and I will just clean up the flywheel surface area with my cookie wheel grinder. That flywheel is in there for life. Sure it makes taking off with passengers + A/C on in 90+F heat a lil trickier but I will soon cure that problem a bit.

UD flywheel reuses you backing/hub plates, I put that fywheel into Stardust's 5th gen and it was all nice and light when I pulled it out of the box. After it was all assembled to be installed on the car- it was heavier than the Fidanza.

Warning for you 5.5 gen people looking at installing Fidanzas- make sure they don't send you a RWD flywheel. I was involved in Fidanza catalogue straightening. I took the tranny off one 5.5 gen 3 times to get the right flywheel to work and then reported it back to Fidanza. Their listing should have changed and unless the dealers are sitting on old stock, you should be getting the new flywheel that doesn't have starter mesh issues and CKP issues.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
I got 100K miles on my Fidanza, I would never go back to OEM. I'm ready to do yet another clutch on the car (and put a Quaife in the tranny) and I will just clean up the flywheel surface area with my cookie wheel grinder. That flywheel is in there for life. Sure it makes taking off with passengers + A/C on in 90+F heat a lil trickier but I will soon cure that problem a bit.

UD flywheel reuses you backing/hub plates, I put that fywheel into Stardust's 5th gen and it was all nice and light when I pulled it out of the box. After it was all assembled to be installed on the car- it was heavier than the Fidanza.

Warning for you 5.5 gen people looking at installing Fidanzas- make sure they don't send you a RWD flywheel. I was involved in Fidanza catalogue straightening. I took the tranny off one 5.5 gen 3 times to get the right flywheel to work and then reported it back to Fidanza. Their listing should have changed and unless the dealers are sitting on old stock, you should be getting the new flywheel that doesn't have starter mesh issues and CKP issues.
I feel your pain. The UR UDP and Flywheel both took a second try to actually fit on my car. Prototyping is a *****.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:27 AM

there sre so many mixed up feelings in this thread about a lighter flywheel.

i dont have one, but i am looking into buying one soon, my mechanic said it would hurt my top end. He said the car would rev alot faster yes.. but id lose the torque that i love. How true is this ?

i always thought, that if i can rev up quicker i can get into my power band quicker and start moving, but now hearing from a coupel people that the car is going to lose TQ, im second guessing my self on picking one up.

Some one posted up in this thread that a guy with a altime 3.5 put on a lighter flywheel and got 20whp acrosst he powerband ? i think that is complete BS . correct me if im wrong.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by NiSmOVQ35
my mechanic said it would hurt my top end. He said the car would rev alot faster yes.. but id lose the torque that i love.
Come again...? It's either one or the other. In either case, he's wrong. The weight of the flywheel has no effect on the shape of the torque curve.

The gains from a lightweight flywheel depend on the rate of engine speed acceleration, not engine or vehicle speed.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by NiSmOVQ35
there sre so many mixed up feelings in this thread about a lighter flywheel.

i dont have one, but i am looking into buying one soon, my mechanic said it would hurt my top end. He said the car would rev alot faster yes.. but id lose the torque that i love. How true is this ?

i always thought, that if i can rev up quicker i can get into my power band quicker and start moving, but now hearing from a coupel people that the car is going to lose TQ, im second guessing my self on picking one up.

Some one posted up in this thread that a guy with a altime 3.5 put on a lighter flywheel and got 20whp acrosst he powerband ? i think that is complete BS . correct me if im wrong.
You will lose no torque by getting a light flywheel. Think of the flywheel as a sponge that absorbs some of the engines energy while the rpms are increasing in time. A lighter flywheel (well lower Moment of Inertia to be technical) will absorb less power during acceleration, which allows more power to go to the tranny and tires to accelerate the car.

I found no tangible (measured) gain by getting the flywheel (yes, I know it had to help some, but it wasn't significant). I found it to be a **** poor use of $525 and a crapload of time.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by nismology
Come again...? It's either one or the other. In either case, he's wrong. The weight of the flywheel has no effect on the shape of the torque curve.

The gains from a lightweight flywheel depend on the rate of engine speed acceleration, not engine or vehicle speed.
Since the rate of engine speed accel is related to the tranny gear ratios, the impact of a lower MOI flywheel are also related to vehicle speed indirectly. I.E. if you are in 4th gear at 4K RPMs the impact is much less than 1st gear at 4K RPMs (by the ratio of the gearing diff if air drag is not considered).
Old 09-04-2007, 03:43 PM

that happened to me, but i cant get my flywheel off, and fidanza wont sent me just the timing ring. so im stuck with hard starting and horrific noise.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by cld12pk2go
Since the rate of engine speed accel is related to the tranny gear ratios, the impact of a lower MOI flywheel are also related to vehicle speed indirectly. I.E. if you are in 4th gear at 4K RPMs the impact is much less than 1st gear at 4K RPMs (by the ratio of the gearing diff if air drag is not considered).
Agreed somewhat. Higher vehicle speed is a product of longer gearing. It doesn't work the other way around. This is why I don't consider vehicle or engine speed to be a factor. Gearing is the only relevant factor to me since that is what DIRECTLY affects the rate of engine speed acceleration.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:26 PM

Conclusion.... dont buy a lighter flywheel. thank you guys.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:03 AM
STFU n00b!

Disreguard the crap where people are BSing and trying to sound smart. The overall conclusion is quite the opposite..

the flywheel helps acceleration, but the arguement is that you won't see it on a dyno.

It the same as getting lighter wheels or lightening the car. you don't see the gains on a dyno, but you do see them at the end of the dragstrip.

lowering the rotational inertia of the engine doesn't make more power- it simply makes the engine easier to spin up or down since there's not as much weight hanging off the end of the crank. this translates to faster acceleration in lower gears where the engine is spinning up and down faster. it also translates to faster shifting since the engine and transmission match RPM quicker.

The only downside to going with one is if you go too light and you can't get your car off the line without revving it to 3000rpm and dumping the clutch. that's hard on everything. That's why the OE puts a heavier flywheel on the car to begin with. smoother pull off the line and the engine runs smoother overall since the flywheel acts as a big rotational energy storage device, absorbing some of the roughness at idle.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Matt93SE
Disreguard the crap where people are BSing and trying to sound smart. The overall conclusion is quite the opposite..
Lightened flywheels aren't like other mods where the gains are equal in each gear. The gains from a lightened flywheel are prominent in first gear, slightly less in 2nd, less in 3rd, and perhaps even indistinguishable from stock in 4th and 5th. Odds are it won't show up on the dyno for this reason.
Not talking about me, are ya?

Not really sure how he drew the conclusion that he shouldn't buy one.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:56 AM
STFU n00b!

There's a few smrt people talking in this thread... it's pretty obvious which ones are and which ones aren't.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 AM

Sounds like there is still a lot of confusion in this thread. To put this into simpler terms, all the flywheel has an effect on is the rate at which the engine can spool up or down. It has no affect on the power output of the engine at all.

Say you are in 5th gear going up a steep hill which requires 100% throttle to maintain your speed. Lets say your engine makes 200lb feet of torque and in 5th gear you are using all 200 to maintain your speed up this really steep hill. In this case the flywheel has NO EFFECT. It could be a 200lb flywheel or a 1lb flywheel. It is spinning at a constant speed, not speeding up or slowing down, thus it has no effect. All 200lb ft of torque are maintaining the speed.

Now on the other hand, say you are pointing on a slight downhill in 1st gear and you punch it, now the weight of the flywheel has a huge effect. Even with a lot of power, it takes time and force to zing a giant 20lb steel disk from 1000rpm to 7000rpm. This is where the most difference is felt, when the speed of the engine needs to change. The shorter the gearing the more the benefit of the lighter flywheel.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by modenaf1
Say you are in 5th gear going up a steep hill which requires 100% throttle to maintain your speed. Lets say your engine makes 200lb feet of torque and in 5th gear you are using all 200 to maintain your speed up this really steep hill. In this case the flywheel has NO EFFECT. It could be a 200lb flywheel or a 1lb flywheel. It is spinning at a constant speed, not speeding up or slowing down, thus it has no effect. All 200lb ft of torque are maintaining the speed.
It takes torque to spin the flywheel even at a constant speed. Just sayin
Old 10-22-2009, 12:31 PM

I put my Fidanza in at 64K miles, I currently have 155K miles- never been resurfaced, its holding a 2nd clutch so far and its not warped. My ACT pressure plate failed for 2nd time at exacly 30K miles and I've been using Exedy Racing Stage 1 for the last 60K miles with no issues what so ever.

I say warping is directly related to peoples driving habits.
bingo! I have had a 9lb Fidanza in my Probe for 5+ years now. It has been through lots of nitrous and lots of other abuse and has never warped. I have replacement surfaces sitting in the garage for it but have never needed it..ever. Like most things, it depends on the operator as to how well it holds up.