Dyno Discussion and Slips Discussion and a moderated "Dyno Slips" sub-forum to allow for posting of dyno slips.
View Poll Results: Which Setup to Dyno With?
As is right now, dyno with/without Cattman 3"
5.41%
Fix the exhaust leaks, dyno with/without Cattman 3"
43.24%
OBX 3.5 Headers, dyno with/without Cattman 3"
51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Dynoing the Cattman 3" on the 4th Gen

Old 11-21-2010, 05:38 PM

oh well this changes the numbers drastically... i say 205whp 209tq
Old 11-22-2010, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by 98SEBlackMax
http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...n-headers.html

http://forums.maxima.org/dyno-discus...n-headers.html

I did the comparison almost 3 years ago.

To the OP go with option 3. I am looking to do the same with the 2.5" then install the 3" catback while at the shop.
im so happy i saw this....4th genners swear by the y pipe and ive been saying you will pick up more power with headers
Originally Posted by mariosmax
I voted #3 but I think the most effective dyno time for the most .org users would be #2 since most 3.0 owners only have y-pipes and not headers as you said in post #9
whos fault is that
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
Screw the benefit of everybody else... are they helping with the payments on the dyno, ppl on here need too much at times and to be honest, if you made the statement about the y-pipe about 3 yrs ago I would've agreed but most have recently changed to headers... go to the dyno to get your AFR's right vs some kinda show boat on one mod... either ppl buy it or they don't... you did........

Originally Posted by Cattman
If you haven't moved already, do yourself a favor and save up a few more pennies for a Cattman header set. Obviously I'm not impartial, but you can be absolutely certain that you won't regret it.

Brian

for what? i already proved obx can hang with the best of the best
Old 11-22-2010, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by datdude20
AGREED!!!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Boosted Panda

im so happy i saw this....4th genners swear by the y pipe and ive been saying you will pick up more power with headers
Its been proven time and time again that the headers will give gains over the Y pipe.
What some argue is whether or not that extra 10hp on top of the Y pipe is worth the extra money and labor over the Y pipe.
Of course for those looking to gain as much power as possible its a no brainer.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Flava_24/7
Its been proven time and time again that the headers will give gains over the Y pipe.
What some argue is whether or not that extra 10hp on top of the Y pipe is worth the extra money and labor over the Y pipe.
Thanks for clearing that up..lol
Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

I swear by the Y-pipe, die by the y-pipe, especially since a full cattman exhaust (H/C/2.5) A32 maxima can only tie with me.

and I'm one of those people looking for every HP possible like flava said, even though I dont think on my first pair of dynos I'll make 183whp.

OBX sure can hang with the best of the best... on the dyno..... But I would like to see someone's OBX's (not mine, mine are going through a special program ) hang w/ cattman 5 years down the line.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-22-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

OBX sure can hang with the best of the best... on the dyno..... But I would like to see someone's OBX's (not mine, mine are going through a special program ) hang w/ cattman 5 years down the line.
I've had mine for 3 years and they still kickin....

but good luck with whateva u do
Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Boosted Panda

I swear by the Y-pipe, die by the y-pipe,.

But you just bought headers?
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM

+1
Old 11-22-2010, 12:56 PM

But you just bought headers?
(WHICH HAVEN'T ARRIVED YET, UPS is taking it's time getting them here, I wish they arrived today because it's my day off and I can install them, now I won't be able to install them till next monday and dyno next thursday... Speaking of dynoing I'll set the appointments right now).

Yup, there are more reasons besides power to buy equal length headers.

The main reason is that VQ sound which first attracted me to nissan, and well my car is just too loud for my own liking, at the same time I hate how it sounds I love it too.

Even though it won't be as aggressive sounding my car is now, I can enjoy my music at a much lower volume and the car could even sound stock at times and I won't have to prove to people I'm not boosted.

But this isn't dyno talk now, is it

Plus I'm personally interested in the OBX 3.5 headers + 3" catback numbers on a VQ30DE now, because I dont think there is much of a comparison for the 30DE guys....

Last edited by aackshun; 11-22-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM

I swear by the Y-pipe, die by the y-pipe, especially since a full cattman exhaust (H/C/2.5) A32 maxima can only tie with me.

and I'm one of those people looking for every HP possible like flava said, even though I dont think on my first pair of dynos I'll make 183whp.

i would like to see somebody who beats on the car with cattman's 5yrs down the line... dont think its indestructable.... i remember back in 07 getting banned because i said headers made more power than a y-pipe but because i was fairly new and mods didnt agree i served time...
Old 11-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
i would like to see somebody who beats on the car with cattman's 5yrs down the line... dont think its indestructable.... i remember back in 07 getting banned because i said headers made more power than a y-pipe but because i was fairly new and mods didnt agree i served time...
me too, i would love to have a after the fact comparison. this is just all speculation.

Hahaha silly mods, look @ the stock design then run the firing order in your head, it's obvious the long tube headers are the better choice for creating power, in any application.
Old 11-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Boosted Panda

(WHICH HAVEN'T ARRIVED YET, UPS is taking it's time getting them here, I wish they arrived today because it's my day off and I can install them, now I won't be able to install them till next monday and dyno next thursday... Speaking of dynoing I'll set the appointments right now).

Yup, there are more reasons besides power to buy equal length headers.

The main reason is that VQ sound which first attracted me to nissan, and well my car is just too loud for my own liking, at the same time I hate how it sounds I love it too.

Even though it won't be as aggressive sounding my car is now, I can enjoy my music at a much lower volume and the car could even sound stock at times and I won't have to prove to people I'm not boosted.

But this isn't dyno talk now, is it

Plus I'm personally interested in the OBX 3.5 headers + 3" catback numbers on a VQ30DE now, because I dont think there is much of a comparison for the 30DE guys....
I didnt think your car was really all that loud when I heard it going to the Temple meet.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:20 PM

me too, i would love to have a after the fact comparison. this is just all speculation.

Hahaha silly mods, look @ the stock design then run the firing order in your head, it's obvious the long tube headers are the better choice for creating power, in any application.
doesnt OBX offer longer runners than cattman???
Old 11-24-2010, 09:48 PM

From the headers thread on NYCmaxima:

Looks like OBX runners are a bit longer than cattman runners.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:33 PM

I didnt think your car was really all that loud when I heard it going to the Temple meet.
It's gotten much louder (NOT because of the catback), I think the ring has completely failed.

Anyways, headers came in today, pics and detailed measurements when I install em on Monday.

Dyno day Thursday December 2nd, unless the shop says otherwise.

And to schmelly.... I dont think one is longer than the other, because from that angle it seems that cattman's bows out further to provide a smoother transition.

But I preferred OBX's design because I have it in my head the straight section will provide more TQ.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-25-2010 at 01:49 AM.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:31 AM

This thread is bring some lulz.

get the 3" and use ur y-pipe first then go to the headers. More benefitz for the rest of us....
Old 11-26-2010, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
This thread is bring some lulz.

get the 3" and use ur y-pipe first then go to the headers. More benefitz for the rest of us....
Maybe you mis-understood my intention, my intention was to prove the benefits of a 3" catback, not headers vs. ypipe... It was prolly the recent talk of headers threw you off.

But to get things back on track, installing headers on Monday, dynoing thursday.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-26-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:11 AM

yea just the fact of the matter is most of the 4th gens are on y-pipe it woould be alittle mroe benefitial if we saw y-pipe with 3" exhaust, then move to headers etc.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:26 AM

My thoughts too, but the numbers don't lie, people wanna see the OBX's on, you can rally the 4th gen troops to get their opinion, I'll check again Monday morning before I start the project but if the vote stays as is now, I'm using the headers+3"

But one can make the argument is, that to get the best benefit out of the catback one should have the first half of your exhaust up to the task too, again, many people think different ways, this isn't a header vs. y-pipe thread, just trying to prove how effective is a 3" on a VQ30DE.

Ya heardddd me? Got until Monday morn to get your votes in!

[edit] After re-reading crusher's post, I wanted to state something

I would love to do another dyno, y-pipe+3 vs. obx+3, but headers aren't that easy as we all know and I dont think I can take the headers off fast enough to dyno within the same day, once the OBX's go on, they stay on.

One more thing, after a bit of consideration, I'm going to keep the magnaflow HFC for dyno purposes, after the dyno I'll goto my test pipe.

Last edited by aackshun; 11-28-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:08 PM

Almost there....

Thanks for your patience guys, it will be rewarded soon w/ a dyno.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Boosted Panda

My thoughts too, but the numbers don't lie, people wanna see the OBX's on, you can rally the 4th gen troops to get their opinion, I'll check again Monday morning before I start the project but if the vote stays as is now, I'm using the headers+3"

But one can make the argument is, that to get the best benefit out of the catback one should have the first half of your exhaust up to the task too, again, many people think different ways, this isn't a header vs. y-pipe thread, just trying to prove how effective is a 3" on a VQ30DE.

Ya heardddd me? Got until Monday morn to get your votes in!

[edit] After re-reading crusher's post, I wanted to state something

I would love to do another dyno, y-pipe+3 vs. obx+3, but headers aren't that easy as we all know and I dont think I can take the headers off fast enough to dyno within the same day, once the OBX's go on, they stay on.

One more thing, after a bit of consideration, I'm going to keep the magnaflow HFC for dyno purposes, after the dyno I'll goto my test pipe.
Honestly the power of headers over a Y pipe isnt great enough to deter those wanting a 3" setup with their y pipe.
It still hasnt even been proven that a NA VQ30 generates enough CFMs to even warrant the use of a 3" catback.
So you wont be doing the before and after dyno now?
If not, what will you be comparing the 3" catback to?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

I'll point out two things that are pretty obvious.

First, we sell stainless steel headers, and we have for 5-6 years. Do I really need to point out that this black manifold is not a stainless header? This was the original header design and the last one was imported from New Zealand 6-7 years ago. We have substantially revised the design twice since then. This particular black header manifold goes back about 9 years - only the early ones in that series were black.

In our current header series the primaries are lightly longer, and the 3-1 collector - a critical element of header performance design - is a much better design than either of the collectors in this picture.

Second, the primary runners are no longer on the OBX than the black manifold. In fact, they're almost identical (isn't that strange? looks like they copied the obsolete set). Its the tubing below the collector that is different.

Brian

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
From the headers thread on NYCmaxima:

Looks like OBX runners are a bit longer than cattman runners.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:33 PM

OBX 3.5 Headers+Magnaflow High Flow Cat (2.5")+Stock Catback vs. OBX 3.5 Headers+Magnaflow High Flow Cat (2.5")+Cattman 3"
I plan on going Thursday, been trying to tie up finals and an exhaust leak (damn walker gaskets, oem nissan ftw).

Pics and such:

The flex pipe clears the xmember fine, but the rear flange on the flex pipe comes amount 1-2mm away from the xmember.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-14-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Boosted Panda

I plan on going Thursday, been trying to tie up finals and an exhaust leak (damn walker gaskets, oem nissan ftw).
Its too bad you dont have an aftermarket catback to compare it to, to see the true differences between 2.5 and 3".
Comparing stock to a 3" should show some gains for sure, but I thought the true reason for dynoing the Cattman setup was to see the gains over a 2.5 setup?
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM

Its too bad you dont have an aftermarket catback to compare it to, to see the true differences between 2.5 and 3".
Comparing stock to a 3" should show some gains for sure, but I thought the true reason for dynoing the Cattman setup was to see the gains over a 2.5 setup?
I wish someone in houston had one, but my final numbers should prove this right? Plus I'm sure they're plenty of stock catback to 2.5 catback comparisons.

As long as I make around 185whp then that's enough proof for me.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:05 PM
Boosted Panda

I wish someone in houston had one, but my final numbers should prove this right? Plus I'm sure they're plenty of stock catback to 2.5 catback comparisons.

As long as I make around 185whp then that's enough proof for me.
Your final numbers will just show the gains of the 3" versus OEM. If you make 15 more whp what's to say a 2.5 catback wouldn't make 10whp out of the 15 or even make very close to the same power? Without a true comparison its hard to say really.
As far as I know, no one has done a simple 2.5 catback only dyno.
Id think you would make more then 185whp. Back when I was still NA put down right under 180whp and that was with the Y pipe. I did have the JWT ecu with MEVI though, but the MEVI wasnt opening at that time. That motor also had well over 200k miles on it so it was no spring chicken.

Last edited by Flava_24/7; 12-16-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor

That's interesting... The primary runners on the new OBX design are clearly shorter than the earlier design that appears farther up the thread. The collector itself is longer, and seems to be moved upwards (toward the engine) a little bit.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:26 PM

Each collector diameter is 2 and 1/4", and the main pipe is 2.5", i forgot to measure the length of the 2.5" pipe, but I can do that while it's on the car.

I'm posting more pics (when they finish uploading) in the 4th gen thread on where the tip sits now (it looks the same to me).

Again, I wish flava!! I may be able to get my hands on a cattman 2.5 but it's for a 5th gen, brian should it fit on my car? Even though you changed the design on the axle back section it should still clear right?

The next best thing I can do for a dyno comparison is just have a friend dyno their maxima... Ugh, I know it sounds terrible but it's our only options for aftermarket catbacks (all of theirs happen to be welded on), if I can get one of them to dyno with me it's better than nothing, right?

::Edit::

This is what you guys are getting, a stock vs. 3" catback comparison, 2 pulls for one and 2 for the other, if you want more, then I am open for donations, it's just going to end up to cost me more. Sure I didn't mind spending $80, a full day, maintenance I haven't planned on doing, and gas on this, but getting my hands on a 2.5" catback seems pretty hard, also doing more pulls = more $$.

back to studying.

Last edited by aackshun; 12-14-2010 at 08:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:34 PM

Popped a tranny tonight! No more dyno plans until further notice!

Sorry guys!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 05:50 AM

Omg wtf
Old 12-16-2010, 06:52 AM

Omg wtf
Hold yer horses.... It's working this morning (It was stuck in 3rd gear last night).... I'm going to change the fluid and see what comes out, if I can drive it to the dyno shop I may just do one dyno (2 pulls)
Old 12-16-2010, 07:26 AM

Aaron you blew a tranny? call me if you need 1. i'll help you find it!

I've been waiting on those Numbers sir.. you've made us wait 2 long..

I'll be posting my GFs dyno sheet shortly.. go check it out..
Old 12-16-2010, 12:08 PM

Good! I need one! But she limped to powerfab auto this morning and put down 190whp and 210 wtq. No comparison will be done because I want to drive it as little as possible, but the numbers should speak for themselves.

Remember I am UN-TUNED, and no internal work has been done.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:28 PM
Boosted Panda

Good! I need one! But she limped to powerfab auto this morning and put down 190whp and 210 wtq. No comparison will be done because I want to drive it as little as possible, but the numbers should speak for themselves.

Remember I am UN-TUNED, and no internal work has been done.
Not bad, so you went from 173whp with exhaust leaks and etc to 190whp with the leaks fixed,headers and the 3" catback and gained 17whp.
Im sure most of that was from the headers, so Im still curious to see how much the 3 exhaust freed up.
But good numbers for sure, with some tuning and VI you would definitely be knocking on 200 if not slightly above.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM

I'm more interested in making 200 w/o a VI, the car is running near a near 15 A/F at redline , I'm surprised it's running so well soooo lean.

So my VQ35 plans have been put on hold indefinitely (yes that means the 6spd too), but in the mean time I am now on the hunt for a 5spd tranny (this one is TOAST), I found one in Dallas now to see if someone can help me with moving it to Houston....

As for the comparison? I mean hell... I don't see any VQ30DE touching these numbers (WITHOUT A ECU) in the dyno thread (moderated), so I'm sold that the 3" really helped.

You can take it two ways.... A. The OBX headers are really awesome for this motor or B. The cattman 3" really did help.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM

I HATE BLUE BA**S
Old 12-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
I HATE BLUE BA**S
I know I know, it isn't the comparison we've all been waiting for but atleast I dyno'd!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 01:28 PM
Boosted Panda

I'm more interested in making 200 w/o a VI, the car is running near a near 15 A/F at redline , I'm surprised it's running so well soooo lean.

So my VQ35 plans have been put on hold indefinitely (yes that means the 6spd too), but in the mean time I am now on the hunt for a 5spd tranny (this one is TOAST), I found one in Dallas now to see if someone can help me with moving it to Houston....

As for the comparison? I mean hell... I don't see any VQ30DE touching these numbers (WITHOUT A ECU) in the dyno thread (moderated), so I'm sold that the 3" really helped.

You can take it two ways.... A. The OBX headers are really awesome for this motor or B. The cattman 3" really did help.
This is true, obviously the gains are there. Is this the same dyno you did your previous one on?
Some dynos are known to read higher then others, just as you stated about that stock 3.5 dynoing a bit higher then most normally do.
Im still just a bit leary about the 3" catback based on what Ive seen them gain on boosted setups. I dont see how it would be possible for it to free up more power on an NA setup when its not pushing as many CFMs as a boosted setup.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by maxed_out_99
I HATE BLUE BA**S
LOL

I know I know, it isn't the comparison we've all been waiting for but atleast I dyno'd!!!
Yup, and got good numbers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dynoing the Cattman 3" on the 4th Gen