Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Motor oil, does it play a big part in performance? yes or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2002, 11:14 PM

Motor oil, does it play a big part in performance? yes or no ?

Hey, i m new on this form. I have a '99 i30 which is a MAXIMA dressed up ( lol ) all good... anyhow i recently switched to AMSOIL and i noticed a little difference in fuel economy and few other minor things... If anyone is curious about the oil ask questions i will talk more about it. If someone is using it then please reply and voice your opinion. If you don't agree that Amsoil is the best then voice your opinion...
Thank you
Michael. G
Old 11-09-2002, 05:43 AM

Re: Motor oil, does it play a big part in performance? yes or no ?

Originally posted by 99i30LIMITED
Hey, i m new on this form. I have a '99 i30 which is a MAXIMA dressed up ( lol ) all good... anyhow i recently switched to AMSOIL and i noticed a little difference in fuel economy and few other minor things... If anyone is curious about the oil ask questions i will talk more about it. If someone is using it then please reply and voice your opinion. If you don't agree that Amsoil is the best then voice your opinion...
Thank you
Michael. G
You're going to start a war

I wouldn't expect a significant increase in power or fuel economy, though it still should be noticeable. The biggest advantage comes in terms of wear protection over the long haul, meaning your car will perform like it was new for a considerable length of time.

Take a look at this spreadsheet http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060 , it's interesting reading.

Welcome to the org.
Old 11-09-2002, 09:53 AM

i noticed the same. after switching and putting on popcharger, I got 32mpg for the first time. i can't notice difference in acceleration. but I used to use royal purple, and rp is supposed to yield the most hp. but you'll never get a tremendous amount of power out of oil. But you'll notice a difference without oil.

I hope this thread doesn't turn into amsoil vs. others. we've had this discussion on the forum many times.
Old 11-09-2002, 05:54 PM

I agree with iwannabmw, check the spreadsheet for some good reading. Bill (bill99gxe) is the oil advocate, check out his threads and the discussions on oil and filters, welcome to the org.
Old 11-09-2002, 06:53 PM

In conclusion i see that everyone has agreed with me that Amsoil is really the best on the market. Btw, i already filled out after my oil change (last oil i changed my car to Amsoil). Now, i get extra 30 - 50 miles on a full tank and thats driving mostly in the city, highway i assume that i would get 40 - 55 or 60 miles on a tank. Anyhow has anything else to saY ? i would be glad to hear comments...
Michael G
Old 11-09-2002, 08:30 PM

if you're getting 60miles for a tank I think you got some leaks
Old 11-09-2002, 08:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Bill and Jeff will be here soon.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:46 AM

Re: Re: Motor oil, does it play a big part in performance? yes or no ?

Originally posted by iwannabmw

You're going to start a war

I wouldn't expect a significant increase in power or fuel economy, though it still should be noticeable. The biggest advantage comes in terms of wear protection over the long haul, meaning your car will perform like it was new for a considerable length of time.

Take a look at this spreadsheet http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....hreadid=100060 , it's interesting reading.

Welcome to the org.
what in the world are you doing up so early?????
Old 11-10-2002, 08:51 AM

lol, ok let me rephrase that, I get extra miles out of the tank. NOT ONLY 60 lol
Old 11-10-2002, 09:19 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Motor oil, does it play a big part in performance? yes or no ?

I have a 98 Maxima SE and have been using AMSOIL in it (motor oil and ATF) since it was new...the car runs better than new. I am an AMSOIL Certified Dealer and have been using the oil for over 20 years. I have many customers using the oil in some pretty expensive cars...I cater a lot to the BMW crowd. I also have several maxima drivers using the oil with great results...some of these folks drive their cars upwards to 70 miles per day at high speeds in south Texas (and it does get hot here). I had one customer with an 89 maxima who put 1,000 miles/week on his car...no kidding! I would agree that while synthetics may provide a slight fuel economy advantage, the real benefit is in reduced wear, lower emissions, lower operating temps, and the ability to keep engines clean over the long haul... Ed
Old 11-10-2002, 12:06 PM

Hello everyone, it's me again =). Another words everyone does agree that AMSOIL is the best on the market.
Well i m happy to hear that everyone agree's. BTW, ED any sugestions how to market oil with those who use GERMAN CARS? ( i m a new dealer thats why i m asking =) )
Old 11-10-2002, 01:56 PM

Michael:

A tip for you, don't go to all the internet forums and start threads that hype Amsoil. That would be a good way to irritate people.

Ed:
Are you the guy who advertises in Roundel??
Old 11-10-2002, 07:10 PM

Warning, below is a joke

Amsoil sucks...

it's high carbon count creates a deep viscous number. This perpetuates bad engine wear in the long run. If you've seen
lead counts on oil changes, you'll notice that Amsoil oil gives numbers way out of normal spec for oil. This is not a good number Upon oil analysis, you'll find terrible boron count since the oil slowly eats away at the metal. It's great for the short time, but in the long run, again, you'll end up with serious knocking problems.
and remember TBN numbers above 10, like amsoil gives out, are not good.

The only thing good with amsoil, is it's low flashpoint. Keeps it warm faster and longer than any other oil.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:11 PM

uhm as for my post above, i was just kidding. I have no clue what i've just said...

i'm running amsoil MT oil and motor oil... it's great stuff so far
Old 11-10-2002, 07:38 PM

Originally posted by multiplexor
uhm as for my post above, i was just kidding. I have no clue what i've just said...

i'm running amsoil MT oil and motor oil... it's great stuff so far
if you had no clue to what you've said then delete it, believe me, there are people who are dumb enough to read it and believe it
Old 11-10-2002, 11:40 PM
Old Timer

You know, I have no idea on the ins and outs of the motor oil world. I don't know for sure which is absolutely the best, and I know everyone will always have their opinion on which is the best. Personally, I run Royal Purple in my car because I have seen more so the cleanliness of differentials and motors when they have been run on it. I've been impressed. This isn't to say that AMSOIL isn't as good or even better, but I do know that my mpg has definately gotten better, and even though I haven't dynoed it, the car seems to have more pep. Anyways. Just my .02 worth.
Old 11-11-2002, 05:53 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux

if you had no clue to what you've said then delete it, believe me, there are people who are dumb enough to read it and believe it
Relax, it's only sarcasm... You don't have to picka fight with everyone you know
Old 11-11-2002, 06:06 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Originally posted by multiplexor
Amsoil sucks...

it's high carbon count creates a deep viscous number. This perpetuates bad engine wear in the long run. If you've seen
lead counts on oil changes, you'll notice that Amsoil oil gives numbers way out of normal spec for oil. This is not a good number Upon oil analysis, you'll find terrible boron count since the oil slowly eats away at the metal. It's great for the short time, but in the long run, again, you'll end up with serious knocking problems.
and remember TBN numbers above 10, like amsoil gives out, are not good.

The only thing good with amsoil, is it's low flashpoint. Keeps it warm faster and longer than any other oil.
I find this VERY interesting. I just got my analysis of the first run with Amsoil in my car. And guess what...... HIGH LEAD COUNT.

Blackstone also told me to cut the drain time down to 5,000 and sample again. High lead count means my bearings worn faster with Amsoil then with the conventional Castrol GTX oil I've used for years. My analysis with Castrol GTX looked better then the Amsoil.

So, Amsoil people - Just how good is this oil and why should I continue to use this?

Bill, I know you'll read this eventually, I'll get the data to you by this afternoon. Take a look for yourself, I'm not happy with the results of Amsoil so far.

Tom
Old 11-11-2002, 06:19 AM

Originally posted by Vinipux

Hopefully they will read the full thread. I would hate for them to scroll to my post read it and decide from that...

hehe
Old 11-11-2002, 06:21 AM

njmaxseltd ---> you asked someone why should you still use it? maybe u shouldn't but i know one thing. If i m not mistaking if you can get in toach with Amsoil and explain it to them then they should either fix something with your car (something like that) or buy you your oil back. I do recall Amsoil talking about buying back your old oil if your not satisfied with the performance you get with Amsoil. In any case your bet is either call AMSOIL direct or contect your dealer and he should speak to them or give you some advise. If you need the # to call go to AMSOIL.com or ask your dealer or if you need e-mail me and i ll get you the # ( I sell Amsoil my self)
Michael G

Michael G
Old 11-11-2002, 06:31 AM

multiplexor---> i have to admit first time i read what you wrote i took it seriouis, even got me a bit worried because i have a '99 i30 with 97k on it, and i almost had a heart attack. On the otherhand that was funny to a point. But seriously, please delete it,
But it did sound like you new what you were talking about...
GOOD ONE
Old 11-11-2002, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd

I find this VERY] interesting. I just got my analysis of the first run with Amsoil in my car. And guess what...... H LEAD COUNT.

Blackstone also told me to cut the drain time down to 5,000 and sample again. High lead count means my bearings worn faster with Amsoil then with the conventional Castrol GTX oil I've used for years. My analysis with Castrol GTX looked better then the Amsoil.

So, Amsoil people - Just how good is this oil and why should I continue to use this?

Bill, I know you'll read this eventually, I'll get the data to you by this afternoon. Take a look for yourself, I'm not happy with the results of Amsoil so far.

Tom
Tom,

Regarding Multiplexor's post: I have no clue what "high carbon count leads to a deep viscous number" means. Regarding lead counts, of the cars in the spreadsheet, high lead counts are not only attributed to cars run on Amsoil. There were cars run on Redline, Mobil 1, Valvoline Maxlife, Castrol Syntec and GTX. I see no correlation to Amsoil being notorious for causing bearing wear. Boron is a detergent found in motor oils, the level of it in Amsoil is almost identical to all the other oils on the market. With regards to TBN, this is absolutely not true whatsoever. High TBN is good.

With regards to your particular case, I'm not sure why you would show an increase in lead. Have your driving conditions changed recently? How high was the number compared to with the GTX? Did Blackstone flag the level or did you just notice an increase? Can you post the complete analysis, or email me a copy? Is it possible that a higher lead content could also be indicating a bearing issue and is coincident with your switch to Amsoil? I would also encourage you to visit this forum and post your results in the oil analysis section. Some of the people who post there have decades of experience in the industry. One works (or runs maybe) an oil analysis company. His insight on the reports should be very valuable to try and understand what is going on in your engine. If you don't wish to join that forum, I would be happy to post it there for you and I'm sure Bill would as well. I'm very interested in learning more about this.

Mark
Old 11-11-2002, 06:43 AM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Tom,

My questions are the same as Mark's. The switch to Amsoil and the lead going up is a red herring.....something else is going on.
Old 11-11-2002, 06:51 AM

OK Guys, my lead with the Castrol was like at 5 I believe. The average for the industry was indicated around 12??. My car came back at 18 and Blackstone did flag me on it. They said it indicated high bearing ware. My Castrol numbers indicated much less ware. I'll get the data to both of you to read. Any advise from there would be much appreciated.

Tom
Old 11-11-2002, 06:54 AM

OK Guys, my lead with the Castrol was like at 5 I believe. The average for the industry was indicated around 12??. My car came back at 18 and Blackstone did flag me on it. They said it indicated high bearing ware. My Castrol numbers indicated much less ware. I'll get the data to both of you to read. Any advise from there would be much appreciated.

Tom
Tom,

It's important that during this interval you remember anything you did on the car, such as fuel injection cleaner/cleaning, extensive idling situations, etc. That will help to give an educated guess.

VQs using different brand oils have exhibited high lead values, most being attributed to driving conditions.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:43 AM

Tom's response through PM:

Bill my driving conditions have not changed a bit. Just the duration of oil change. If I do some math, lets say that at 3,000 miles I have a lead reading of 5. Then at 3X the mileage I have lead readings of 18, which is just slightly higher the exactly 3X the oil change interval. Would it be almost safe to really say both oils provide the same level of protection?

If the filter doesn't take the lead out of the oil, then what I'm seeing is actualy normal ware properties here, just 3X as much over 3X the distance/interval.

Comments?

If I understand your comments correctly, you went 9k on Amsoil? Also, did you ever change the oil filter during the interval, or did you just use the one filer the entire time? My understanding is you are using the SDF-13 filter.

I won't comment further until you can clear that up for me.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:48 AM

Interesting Thread....

Bill I have a quick question for you. Does changing the oil make the engine run smoother or is it a placibo effect??? I just changed my oil yesterday thats why I am wondering.
Old 11-11-2002, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by bill99gxe
Tom's response through PM:

If I understand your comments correctly, you went 9k on Amsoil? Also, did you ever change the oil filter during the interval, or did you just use the one filer the entire time? My understanding is you are using the SDF-13 filter.

I won't comment further until you can clear that up for me. [/B]
Changed the filter at the mid way mark @ approx 4,500 miles. SDF-13
Old 11-11-2002, 08:09 AM

multiplexor---> i have to admit first time i read what you wrote i took it seriouis, even got me a bit worried because i have a '99 i30 with 97k on it, and i almost had a heart attack. On the otherhand that was funny to a point. But seriously, please delete it,
But it did sound like you new what you were talking about...
GOOD ONE
hehe i attached a bold "this is a joke" title to it... unless you guys think i should really delete it... ?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:15 AM

Tom,

I see you're thinking on the mileage vs. wear rate. 17 (IMO)is getting kind of high. Something to watch for is a dramatic rise in one area while the other areas are staying relatively constant. If iron, for example, didn't triple as well, the high lead isn't a function of miles traveled, but rather it does point to a potential issue specific to the bearings.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:23 AM

Lead levels typically won't be affected by filter changes. I know this may be obvious, but you went too long on this oil. I'm pretty sure the same would be the case regardless of what oil you used.

I really need to see the report, as any further speculation is about impossible.....
Old 11-11-2002, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP
Interesting Thread....

Bill I have a quick question for you. Does changing the oil make the engine run smoother or is it a placibo effect??? I just changed my oil yesterday thats why I am wondering.

I will go to my grave believing it's generally a placebo effect, while others here will swear it is noticeable.

My best answer is I don't know.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:16 AM

I will go to my grave believing it's generally a placebo effect, while others here will swear it is noticeable.

I don't have a solid answer either, but I will say that a firend of mine changed the oil in his girlfriend's car. She had no idea he worked on it, but she asked what he did to make it run so smooth.
Old 11-11-2002, 10:17 AM
Boost.....

Ohh Yeah. The ole' butt dyno.
Old 11-11-2002, 11:08 AM

Tom,

I received your report. Honestly, nothing really surprised me for going 9600 miles except for the fact you changed your filter.

Things that I noticed:

- Insolubles going from 0.2 to 0.5; true, you went 6k more, but you changed filter at 4.5k. That shouldn't have exceeded 0.4.

- 10% increase in viscosity;

It will be interesting to see with the TBN comes back as, and I'm betting it will be at 5 or lower. If that is indeed the case, those three factors indicate your oil is beginning to sludge. Now, don't panic. I said beginning, so it's no biggie at this point.

The oil was becoming more viscous and more oxidative in nature, which is usually a good recipe for more quickly deteriorating the additive package and shortening the useful life of an oil. At that point, a filter change is more like a band-aid on a gunshot wound.

If it makes you feel better, you can see my rather high viscosity and
insolubles levels for my 99 and 94 Maximas, with new samples coming the next month or two. It will be interesting to see how 2 consecutive years of Amsoil one year oil changes fare.

What oil did you use from 40 to 43k? Was it another interval with Castrol GTX or the Syncrap blend before switching?

The Amsoil filter may not be getting it done, but that's hard to say with any degree of certainty. One step I would take next time around is using the STP S6941 oil filter and going a 5k interval on Amsoil, and doing a re-sample.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:16 PM

bill i have a question, i got my self 10w-30 ( in the back the labal states that it's good for 25,000 or a year ) now the filter i was told is good for 12,500 or six months. Now i m plaining to change my oil every six months or 12,000. Is that wise? do you know anyone who has done that? because i m not sure what everyone is saying regarding changing filters
Michael G
Old 11-11-2002, 12:23 PM

Bill, first off thanks for taking the time to have a look at my sampling. I really do appreciate it!

I'm not to concerned about the oil starting to sludge, it's been refreshed now. I guess this was my test of Amsoil oil and extended drain intervals. I will cut back my mileage to 5K on this run and have my oil sampled again to see where it's at. At that point I'll see if it's really worth the extra $$ for the same level of protection I was getting with good old Castrol GTX @ 3K changes.

If I remember correctly the oil that I used from 40 - 43K was also the Syn Blend. I had always used regular 10W 30 GTX until I used the Syn. stuff at ~37K and again at 39,900. Then to Amsoil at 43K.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:44 PM

I'm not to concerned about the oil starting to sludge, it's been refreshed now.

The residual oil left in the motor will attack the new oil. The worse the "old" oil was, the more of a tendency an oil can have to assume the same state in quicker fashion.

However, with your oil history, etc. going 5k won't be a big deal.

I guess this was my test of Amsoil oil and extended drain intervals. I will cut back my mileage to 5K on this run and have my oil sampled again to see where it's at. At that point I'll see if it's really worth the extra $$ for the same level of protection I was getting with good old Castrol GTX @ 3K changes.

Your wear levels going 5 or 6k on Amsoil should be the same or less than it was with the Castrol 3k intervals. If that isn't the case, then it's up to you whether to continue. I also wonder how much the Syntec Blend contributed to the oxidative environment......

If I remember correctly the oil that I used from 40 - 43K was also the Syn Blend. I had always used regular 10W 30 GTX until I used the Syn. stuff at ~37K and again at 39,900. Then to Amsoil at 43K.
Cool, that's what I thought.
Old 11-11-2002, 01:47 PM

bill i have a question, i got my self 10w-30 ( in the back the labal states that it's good for 25,000 or a year ) now the filter i was told is good for 12,500 or six months. Now i m plaining to change my oil every six months or 12,000. Is that wise? do you know anyone who has done that? because i m not sure what everyone is saying regarding changing filters
Michael G
Look at the spreadsheet for more info on how oil's are holding up in real life. Amsoil needs to have a few asterisks by their 25K claims. It should read something like this is not always possible with all engines, drivers, driving conditions etc. Do I think using their recommendations blindly will cause catastrophic failure? No, which is probably why they are legally allowed to make those claims. For the **** people like myself and others on this forum, analysis results have proven blindly using those intervals is not exactly the best idea for everyone.

More specifically in regards to your vehicle, if you drive mostly longer trips on the highway, 12K probably won't be a problem. If you do short trips, it most likely will be. My best advice would be to go between 5-6K and then send a sample off for analysis. After the results are in, you could adjust your interval accordingly.
Old 11-11-2002, 02:07 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

I did an informal oil analysis comparison between our family hauler ('93 Nissan Quest) and a friend's Ford Taurus. My vehicle had been run on AMSOIL since it was new, with semi-annual oil changes. At the time of the analysis, I was using AMSOIL 0w-30. My buddy's Taurus was the same year, original owner, adult driven, very similar mileage (120K)..his car was very well cared for and he used a national brand petroleum oil changed faithfully @ 3,000 mi intervals.

I drew samples from both vehicles and sent them to the lab...my oil had 10K on it, and his had just over 3K. The lead reading in my oil was 10 ppm...his was 23ppm. I also spoke with the lab to get a benchmark...they indicated that for lead, they look for numbers below 70, so both samples were well within an acceptable range. What struck me is that with only 3K on his oil, his viscosity @ 100 deg C, met the minimum borderline standard to qualify as a 30 weight (9.3 cSt)...mine was 11.8, well within the standard (9.3 to 12.5 cSt), with 10K on it...and this validates the need to change petroleum oil on a more frequent basis.

We can debate this forever, but the fact is that with regular oil changes, in normal operating conditions, petroleum oil will provide adequate protection for the average consumer...for others, synthetics are the answer.

By the way, both test vehicles are alive and running well today, both coming up on 150K.
Ed

Originally posted by iwannabmw
Tom,

I see you're thinking on the mileage vs. wear rate. 17 (IMO)is getting kind of high. Something to watch for is a dramatic rise in one area while the other areas are staying relatively constant. If iron, for example, didn't triple as well, the high lead isn't a function of miles traveled, but rather it does point to a potential issue specific to the bearings.

Quick Reply: Motor oil, does it play a big part in performance? yes or no ?