Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

How to change manual transmission fluid? Which fluid: GL-4 or GL-5? Best gear oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:52 PM

I've read this entire thread again. I see a question asked as far as a couple years back asking if there is any actual proof/documentation/service bulletin from Nissan indicating not to use a GL-5 or not to, at the very least, even use a multi-GL (like GL-2->Gl-5) and not a single person has given any actual evidence that this is bad on the trannies, though I see continual statements with aplomb about how the oil has to be a GL-4 and a multi-grade is not acceptable.

Given the wild goose chase many of us have been on and the practical impossibility of ever getting a GL-4 only fluid and that everywhere carries GL-5 or multi-grades, is this an urban legend afterall?
Old 01-22-2008, 01:07 PM

Amsoil brought back a GL-4 only spec fluid bacause of this issue. You can get Amsoil (with no chasing around).

When I changed mine, Amsoil had not yet done this, so I used Red Line -- which also has a GL-4 fluid. Both are fully synthetic.

Feel safe to use either one -- and then you won't have to push this issue.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
Amsoil brought back a GL-4 only spec fluid bacause of this issue. You can get Amsoil (with no chasing around).

When I changed mine, Amsoil had not yet done this, so I used Red Line -- which also has a GL-4 fluid. Both are fully synthetic.

Feel safe to use either one -- and then you won't have to push this issue.
I will go with MT90 (again), if I cannot recover enough from a job I'm doing on the car now, but at $10/pop plus a trip into the city (only source in the whole area) and no other GL-4 I can find anywhere (Amsoil has no stores, I don't think), it certainly is a bit of a pricey endeavour compared to $4/pint for el-cheapo Gl4/5 from advance auto parts
Old 01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My local discount auto parts carries a somewhat generic gl-4 (it is not multigrade) that I've used in a pinch.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM

Google is your friend!

From Penzoil's FAQs (http://www.pennzoil.com/site/faq.html#q2)

What happens if API GL-5 gear oil is used in an API GL-4 gear oil application?

API GL-4 and API GL-5 products typically use the same extreme pressure (EP) additive system, with the API GL-5 having about twice the concentration of a API GL-4. In service, these additives become active under extreme load and temperature when the protective oil film can be squeezed away. EP additives work by forming wear-resistant compounds with the metal of the gear tooth surface. As the gears mesh, these compounds shield the gear teeth from direct metal-to-metal contact that would cause wear and damage to the gears. If too little of the active additive is present, proper protection would be compromised. Too much of this additive could cause excessive chemical corrosion of the gear surface. If an API GL-5 gear oil is used in a application where API GL-4 gear oil is called for, chemical corrosion of "yellow metal" components may occur, such as bronze synchronizers, brass bushings, etc. This may lead to shifting difficulties or shortened equipment life.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by SkoorbMax
. . .(Amsoil has no stores, I don't think), it certainly is a bit of a pricey endeavour compared to $4/pint for el-cheapo Gl4/5 from advance auto parts
You don't need to go to a store at all. It can be delivered directly to your house.

Amsoil is available at a discount from Talkinghorse on this site. Send him a private message and he will quote you a price delivered in a few days.

I bought my MT-90 (because Talkinghorse would not sell me an Amsoil product that did not meet GL-4 specs) (remember that Amsoil brought back the GL-4 product because of this problem) from a web source. If you want that info, I could go an look it up. But I would suggest going with Amsoil from Talkinghorse.

Why would you ever consider buying el-cheapo fluid for your Max?
Old 07-11-2008, 08:00 PM
Sports Button FTW

I put redline mt 90 in my car around 70k miles and felt an improvement with shifting. Even to this day, my shifting feels better than most maxima's that I have driven. I also have a B&M STS and the Top Element Tuning Shifter Bushing. I have no leaks on my tranny and everything works and feels fine aside from being slightly harder to shift due to STS (meaning you cant throw it into gear with a finger like you could with stock shifter). I am about to replace fluid again but will go the asmoil route this time.

Already sent pm to talking horse and waiting on a quote. BTW, if it means anything, I barely beat on my tranny but have missed a few shifts in my lifetime, but my tranny has been performing like a champ.

Thank you to everyone that added feedback to this thread. Although Redline would suffice, I would not have known of my other options if I didnt read the information in this thread. Very educational, very helpful.
Old 08-01-2008, 01:14 PM

Hi:
I know folks here are fond of Amsoil and Redline, but what would be the next best recommendation for a replacement GL4 gear oil? I've always like Mobil1 but their tech support told me not to use their synthetic gear oil for GL4 applicatons. I saw a report from Amsoil regarding their product vs. competition. Has anyone seen a third party, independent, comparison report of GL4 gear oils?
http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Ge...te%20Paper.pdf
Old 08-03-2008, 12:31 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Will92
Hi:
I know folks here are fond of Amsoil and Redline, but what would be the next best recommendation for a replacement GL4 gear oil? I've always like Mobil1 but their tech support told me not to use their synthetic gear oil for GL4 applicatons. I saw a report from Amsoil regarding their product vs. competition. Has anyone seen a third party, independent, comparison report of GL4 gear oils?
http://www.synthetic-oil-tech.com/Ge...te%20Paper.pdf
GL-4 is out there, but it can be difficult to find.

AMSOIL has not published such a comparison report for GL-4 oils, and I have not seen any other detailed comparison. AMSOIL's web site contains some tech data on the oil: http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx. I can also send you a tech data sheet by e-mail if you would like one. Pls send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

I have sold a lot of AMSOIL GL-4 to our members and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive. Please let me know if I can be of assistance.

Last edited by talkinghorse; 08-03-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Great information, Talkinghorse.

What OCI would you recommend for Synthetic tramsmission oil like the Amsoil you provide? I am currently using Redline and have 76 K miles on the trannie and about 46 K miles on the Redline. I was planning to change the Redline when it had about 60 K miles on it. Does that seem about right?
Old 08-03-2008, 02:28 PM

Great information, Talkinghorse.

What OCI would you recommend for Synthetic tramsmission oil like the Amsoil you provide? I am currently using Redline and have 76 K miles on the trannie and about 46 K miles on the Redline. I was planning to change the Redline when it had about 60 K miles on it. Does that seem about right?
I don't know about Red Line, but under normal operating conditions AMSOIL MTG will last two times longer than conventional petroleum GL-4 gear oils.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:12 PM

I changed my OEM original fill trannie fluid just before 30 K miles and noticed a substantial improvement in shifting. I will plan to change the synthetic at 60 K miles on the fluid -- unless someone else has knowledge on this topic.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:06 AM

I changed my OEM original fill trannie fluid just before 30 K miles and noticed a substantial improvement in shifting. I will plan to change the synthetic at 60 K miles on the fluid -- unless someone else has knowledge on this topic.
Redline's web site states that "(their products) will last much longer than petroleum oils. However, (they) do not recommend extended drain intervals..."
Old 10-30-2008, 10:08 AM

how many quarts do i need for a 92 se m/t with VLSD?

Last edited by PMAX08; 10-30-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:19 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by PMAX08
how many quarts do i need for a 92 se m/t with VLSD?
4 1/2 quarts.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by stan

How to change the manual transmission gear oil on all 6-speed 2002 and up Maximas:

http://www.greghome.com/Greg's%20Gar...axSE/MT-90.htm
I'm getting ready to change the fluid in my 6th gen...this states that it is for all 2002 and up, but was obviously posted prior to the 6th gen's existance. Is the procedure the same? What is the capacity?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:47 PM

When I changed the fluid in my 04 six-speed (about 2.5 years ago) the pictures on this site were larger and you could see them better. They help you to identify the correct bolts to remove for draining and for filling.

You need to buy 3 quarts of new fluid, and you will have about 1/2 a quart remaining when you have filled the trannie with the new fluid.

I believe that the fluid drains better if you have the trannie hot before removing the plugs (as described on that site). I drove my Max for about 1/2 hour before I drained the trannie. I also allowed my trannie to drain overnight to try and get as much as possible of the old fluid out.

As stated on that site, the length of the funnel system you use is critical to not spilling the new fluid. I did spill some by allowing a little of the new fluid to flow out of the filler hole when the trannie had completely filled with new fluid.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:10 AM

Did you use the same fluid as described on the older cars? GL4?

When I changed the fluid in my 04 six-speed (about 2.5 years ago) the pictures on this site were larger and you could see them better. They help you to identify the correct bolts to remove for draining and for filling.

You need to buy 3 quarts of new fluid, and you will have about 1/2 a quart remaining when you have filled the trannie with the new fluid.

I believe that the fluid drains better if you have the trannie hot before removing the plugs (as described on that site). I drove my Max for about 1/2 hour before I drained the trannie. I also allowed my trannie to drain overnight to try and get as much as possible of the old fluid out.

As stated on that site, the length of the funnel system you use is critical to not spilling the new fluid. I did spill some by allowing a little of the new fluid to flow out of the filler hole when the trannie had completely filled with new fluid.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM

You only want a GL-4 fluid. Don't use any fluid marked GL-4/GL-5. When I changed my fluid, Amsoil had dropped their GL-4 fluid (believing the multi-level fluid would work -- it doesn't). Now Amsoil is again making a straight GL-4 fluid -- and I will be using that brand when I change my fluid again at 90 K miles on the odometer.

If you want a good price on all Amsoil products, contact Talkinghorse on this site.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 11-04-2008 at 11:17 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:00 PM

Any concerns about the MT90 or the Amsoil not being the factory specified weight? Its 75w90, where the manual calls for 75w85.

I emailed Redline and they suggested a half quart of MTL and 2.5 quarts of MT90 to get to the correct weight.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:10 PM

I've had no problems using the Redline 75W90 weight. Don't worry about this small difference.
Old 11-15-2008, 11:21 PM

I've used Redline MT-90 in my 2002 6-speed for the last 2-3 years. The only problem I have is crappy shifting when cold. Once the car really heats up, say after 20-30 minutes of driving, the tranny is as smooth as a Honda's. Cold shifting always gets a notchy feeling from 2nd to 3rd, and when it's really cold (32F or below) 1st to 2nd is notchy as well.

I've read that my mixing half Redline MTL and half MT-90 it cures this cold shifting problem. I worry though that this combo wouldn't be a thick enough viscosity at higher temps to protect the moving gears.

Has anyone here done the half and half route? If so, did it cure the stiff, notchy cold shifting problem?
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by kbohip
I've used Redline MT-90 in my 2002 6-speed for the last 2-3 years. The only problem I have is crappy shifting when cold. Once the car really heats up, say after 20-30 minutes of driving, the tranny is as smooth as a Honda's. Cold shifting always gets a notchy feeling from 2nd to 3rd, and when it's really cold (32F or below) 1st to 2nd is notchy as well.

I've read that my mixing half Redline MTL and half MT-90 it cures this cold shifting problem. I worry though that this combo wouldn't be a thick enough viscosity at higher temps to protect the moving gears.

Has anyone here done the half and half route? If so, did it cure the stiff, notchy cold shifting problem?
I changed mine today, but went straight MT90 instead of the mix that Redline recommended. I really doubt that minimal change in weight would make any difference in the winter.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Manual transmission lube

Hello All--I've been reading all the good info here. I have a new '08 Ford f-150 with m5od (5 speed) transmission. Shifting is tight, and there is a vibration noise coming up through the stick, especially with a slight load on the engine (not bogging, though). The dealer said this is normal, but it's very irritating. If I wanted to replace the ATF to try to quiet the trans, what would I use? MTL, 90, etc?? Thanks, Chris, Texas
Old 11-21-2008, 09:52 PM

You need to use a fluid that meets Ford specs for the transmission in your truck. I suggest sending a private message to talkinghorse (on this site) and see what Amsoil says meets Ford specs for your truck. You can handle your needs off line -- given that you are talking about a Ford truck rather than a Maxima.

Good luck.

Last edited by SilverMax_04; 02-05-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by nadir_s
well... i'm not sure, but I will check w/ the shop, but I think they put in GL-5 fluid and my shifting is really knotchy and hard to get into gear. This was after they replaced 3rd, 4th gear, and a couple synchros.

I have about 140 miles on the transmission so far and I'm planning to dump that oil and refill w/ GL-4 once I hit the 1k mi. mark on the tranny.

Well, is it ok for me to run the car for a thousand miles on GL-5?

I replaced the oil at 53K with GL5 ( i know). Although it was shifting better, probably because it wasn't ever changed before, I did notice that the shifting was hard so I replaced it again with Redline GL4 and now the car shifts smoother and easier to get into gear
Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Question, I have a 2002 6 speed with HLSD. I changed my tranny fluid last night with Redline GL4 MT90. Is this the right fluid having HLSD?
Old 02-05-2009, 03:47 PM

After reading this thread...I learned that putting Royal Purple in my Max is big no no...so, I ordered from Amsoil dealer...in Austin. Brad Roberts - 892-4121. He jumped right on ordering for me b/c he didn't stock it...but he will now. Cool.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:21 PM

I have an 03 with HLSD and changed out MT-90 to Amsoil today. Maybe its because the redline had 50000 miles on it but I don't remember saying wow as many times after changing original to MT-90 as I did today driving with the amsoil. Shifting is now very smooth.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:38 PM

Just changed the transmission with the amsoil, car shifts noticeably smoother and seems to roll easier like less drag, car also seems quicker hahah it could just be me lol.
Old 06-17-2009, 03:28 PM

I just changed mine to Redline MT90, and the fill plug wasnt that hard to take off,
but i drained it from the PNP switch.

Maybe it wasnt due for a change, but the shift is a bit improved, either way i think it
will get better, even though it wasnt bad except in cold seasons.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:31 PM

Why is using Royal Purple a no-go?

I had my local Advanced Auto Parts store put an order on some Mobile 1 75W90 gear oil, was waiting almost all day for the truck to come in. When it finally did, they gave him Royal Purple instead.

Since the Royal Purple was like $20 a quart, he gave it to me for the Mobile 1 price of $10 a quart.

Should I not use this stuff in my 2001 Maxima?

Edit. Nevermind, I think it's because it's a GL4/5 rated Gear oil. That's just great, just wasted $40 on gear oil.

Last edited by CreativeSkillz; 07-16-2009 at 02:39 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by CreativeSkillz
Why is using Royal Purple a no-go?

I had my local Advanced Auto Parts store put an order on some Mobile 1 75W90 gear oil, was waiting almost all day for the truck to come in. When it finally did, they gave him Royal Purple instead.

Since the Royal Purple was like $20 a quart, he gave it to me for the Mobile 1 price of $10 a quart.

Should I not use this stuff in my 2001 Maxima?

Edit. Nevermind, I think it's because it's a GL4/5 rated Gear oil. That's just great, just wasted $40 on gear oil.
You're right...Mobil 1 is a GL-4/5 lubricant and should not be used in your transmission. The store where you bought it should take it back/give you a refund providing the bottles have not been opened.
Old 07-16-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by talkinghorse
You're right...Mobil 1 is a GL-4/5 lubricant and should not be used in your transmission. The store where you bought it should take it back/give you a refund providing the bottles have not been opened.
I think you meant to say Royal Purple is GL-4/5 lubricant. Mobil 1 is what I want, right?
Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by CreativeSkillz
I think you meant to say Royal Purple is GL-4/5 lubricant. Mobil 1 is what I want, right?
We're both right! I did mean to say Royal Purple, but Mobil 1 is also GL4/5.

RP advertises their product as being "safe for GL-4 applications of Bronze synchro gears". Mobil lists their product as being suitable for "rear axles" that require a GL-4 lube. I have not heard too much about RP, but I have heard a lot of complaints about M-1.

Between RP and M-1 I think RP would be the better alternative based on their product information; however, your best bet is to use a straight GL-4 rated transmission oil such as AMSOIL or Redline.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i hav a 5.5 gen max and recently 6th is a lil harder to get into and coming out u hav to go str8 to 5th then N or any otha gear its not terribly bad but it has me worried because my se-r spec-v had the same problem for months then got stuck in 6th for good u think becuz it just started this oil will help
than
Old 08-12-2009, 02:49 PM

I just replace my gear oil with MT-90 and it is a night and day difference in shifting. GREAT STUFF.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:51 PM

I just replaced my gear oil with MT-90 and it is a night and day difference. Removed the notchy feeling while shifting.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:12 AM

Could someone help me locate the drain plug on the 2000 manual tran. I'd rather not go the sensor route. Pics are greatly appreciated.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by mysticalone
Could someone help me locate the drain plug on the 2000 manual tran. I'd rather not go the sensor route.
I just changed the oil on my 95 SE using the sensor to drain the old oil, and it was a piece of cake. Original sensor hadn't been out in 15 years, yet it came out in one piece and went back in with zero leaks.

The old oil was warmed up and DID rush out pretty fast when the sensor came out, however.

Quick Reply: How to change manual transmission fluid? Which fluid: GL-4 or GL-5? Best gear oil?