Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Walmart Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Walmart Question

Have anyone taken their car to Walmart for an oil change. There prices are pretty reasonable depending on what type of oil you choose. I was thinking about getting the $11.95 service which is the walmart brand oil. Again, the prices ranges between $11.95-30.95 depending on oil types(synthetic etc). Do you guys think this is a good idea for a maxima? Should we only be putting name brand oils in our engines? My friend goes there alot and have never had any problems with her car. I just wanted to see what you guys think before i took my car there.
By the way, my car is a 95 max with 95,000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:26 PM
wants the ads to die

I'm pretty skeptical about anything walmart, since your getting on down the line in the way of miles I'd put a decent name brand in there myself.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:33 PM
SXN
Supporting Maxima.org Member

people have discussed this before. Generally, its cheap...but the quality of work and the type of oil they use sucks. On several people, they cheated them on half a quart of oil (or some such ammount) that equates into bad times.
Old 11-30-2003, 02:40 PM
Project Ruby......

I went to Walmart and got their brand of high mileage synthetic oil. I wasn't planning on getting Walmart's oil, but it was the only oil I found full synthetic designed for high mileage cars.

I just got the '95 Max from my dad and he just took it to Nissan, but I want to do everything myself. I do not want to put in full synthetic oil since the Max has 140K on it, unless it was designed for high mileage. I was hoping Mobil or Castrol would at least have something, but only Walmart's brand.

I haven't put it in yet, Nissan I guess the last time decided it was a good idea to air wrench the damn drain plug on. I can't loosen the damn thing I don't know anything about Walmart's service or oil, hopefully I'll know about the oil sooner or later.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:12 PM

I've always gone to Wal-Mart. I always get the Castrol Syntec. I've never had any problems with it. I awlays get the full deal, that 16 point inspection. I feel their prices are reasonable. I also change my oil every 2 or 2 1/2 months. I don't mind it. But hey different strokes, right?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:40 PM

people need to change their own oil
Old 11-30-2003, 03:43 PM

Mobil1 has the 10W30 for higher mileage engines. I use that.
Old 11-30-2003, 03:52 PM
SXN

how many miles do you have?
Old 11-30-2003, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by chicagok
Have anyone taken their car to Walmart for an oil change. There prices are pretty reasonable depending on what type of oil you choose. I was thinking about getting the $11.95 service which is the walmart brand oil. Again, the prices ranges between $11.95-30.95 depending on oil types(synthetic etc). Do you guys think this is a good idea for a maxima? Should we only be putting name brand oils in our engines? My friend goes there alot and have never had any problems with her car. I just wanted to see what you guys think before i took my car there.
By the way, my car is a 95 max with 95,000 miles on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
To me, it's all about the filter, whether you do it yourself or have someone else do it. I've had Nissan do it for the life of the car, and the price has ranged from $17.95 to $24.95. The type of guy that does oil change at the dealer is one step above roofing contractor, he/she is not really a mechanic. But you get the factory filter. You may lose some screws from the shrouding but that's life.

Some people like to get synth oil and this has gone around and around and around. The car did not come with a factory fill of it, because it doesn't need it. If you change it every 5k, 5W30 dino juice is way more than good enough. Also, there have been complaints, not Nissan-specific, of getting leaks when switching to synth after a vehicle has aged. Again, vehement denial on this forum, but nothing new. Because the vQ seems to lose oil anyway, there's no way to confirm that the synth caused the problem. The explanation is that synth oil lacks mineral spirits that the seals have been accustomed to with the dino juice.

Long story short is what's most important is the frequency of the oil changes, not who does it or what goes in. Every 3k is overkill, every 7.5k may be stretching it, so 5k is good. When you've got lots of coyne like many on the forum, synth oil every 3k is of no consequence. Not gonna help, not gonna hurt.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:11 PM

Thank you Frank.....

So thats it.....

Comes down to personal preference
Old 11-30-2003, 04:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks guys for the help. I think i'm going to give it a try. If i get any bad experiences from this, i will let you know. Again, thanks.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:57 PM
will fly for food

walmart sux... every time i go there i wreck. Had a toyota truck, took it there once, got hit the next day by a drunk driver..... had a thunderbird, took it there then flipped it a few days later.... not going to bother even taking my max to wal-mart....either express oil change or the stealership
Old 11-30-2003, 05:00 PM

Do it yourself, forget walmart!
Old 11-30-2003, 05:03 PM
UCF Lexus

Valvoline or Mobil 1 IMO

synthetic/high mileage
Old 11-30-2003, 05:07 PM
SXN

just do it yourself. learn your car better, cheaper, more choice of oil
Old 11-30-2003, 05:08 PM
Boosted Panda

Doing an oilchange yourself is very easy, and I see everyone saying do it yourself, But it can be a pain at times and not logical somtimes. Especially if you live an an apartment. Also you have to deal with disposing the used oil. Its just easier to take it somewhere and have it done. Its not real expensive. Walmart also lets you choose your oil and they use Fram Filters.
I take my car to walmart and I havent had any problems.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by FLAVOR247
Doing an oilchange yourself is very easy, and I see everyone saying do it yourself, But it can be a pain at times and not logical somtimes. Especially if you live an an apartment. Also you have to deal with disposing the used oil. Its just easier to take it somewhere and have it done. Its not real expensive. Walmart also lets you choose your oil and they use Fram Filters.
Yeah, there was a time when I had a V6 Volvo--I wouldn't dream of letting a Volvo tech touch that motor after the cams, chains, tensioners got replaced. It was similar to a dry sump setup and needed 8 quarts. No, it was not a diesel, that's the way it was. So I always did it myself, and at no more than 2500 miles. That was a lot cheaper than 2 new head gaskets and then the chains, cams, etc. But the VQ is a modern engine, no deficiencies from a lube/oil pump standpoint. You pay $24 for a change, how much you gonna save? Nissan filter costs $4 discount, oil costs $8, so there's a $12 savings if you do it yourself. We all like to save, but there's the time factor. Leafs, lawn, golf, g/f, lots of things could be done in that 1/2 hour. Well, the last thing might take more like 1 hour.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:17 PM

Your right, changing your own oil is very easy. Never heard of it being hard or not being logical though. If you live in an APT, buy some ramps, get an oil change pan, change your oil, take it to autozone or someplace similar to get rid of it. Done! Your right, it's not expensive if you take it to walmart, but it's less expensive to do it yourself. Yes you will be set back a little for the ramps and oil change pan, but it'll pay off in the long run.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Hella internets

Unless you go somewhere that does multiple engine checks WITH your oil change (like jiffy lube) dont spend money getting it done....

Oil changes are VERY cheap to do yourself and VERY EASY!!!!

The only reason i pay other places to do it for me is because =
1. Im lazy
2. They check other stuff like tires and brakes along with the oil change (saves me some time)
3. I like the extra documentation for when i want to sell the car (looks like i took good care of it)

If you dont have those reasons in mind when you PAY to get your oil change, your better off paying that chinese guy in the ghetto 5 bucks (you bring your oil and filter) to do it for ya.... (i love sacramento, CA)
Old 11-30-2003, 05:29 PM
Hella internets

Originally Posted by Maxima99SEbose
walmart sux... every time i go there i wreck. Had a toyota truck, took it there once, got hit the next day by a drunk driver..... had a thunderbird, took it there then flipped it a few days later.... not going to bother even taking my max to wal-mart....either express oil change or the stealership

Your mistake(s)... you bought a truck...then you bought a ford?!!?!?!?!

Now you drive a max....good choice but bad rep for you past man.... lol jk
Old 11-30-2003, 05:53 PM
5th Gen till she dies!

The dealships here charges 18 for an oil change, and i usuaully i get a coupon once a months for 14.95 form the dealer. Wal-mart is 18.95 here. So i would much rather take it to the dealers.

the only bad thing about the dealer is that they always come up to me saying somehting is wrong. Which is BS, cuase 1 time , i just put a new radiator cap on the day before, and they came and told me i needed a new one, cause it was "past it's prime".
Old 11-30-2003, 06:00 PM
SXN

dealerships also dont take kindly to a lot of after market parts. ask to many questions, want to replace other crap
Old 11-30-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by chicagok
You should've done it by yourself since the weather was great today I did mine today, but was unable to change the leaking pressure switch

Just try it out at Walmart and if you like it, go there again. If you don't then do it yourself (not too hard) or go to a different place. Most small shops do it for $15 around here
Old 11-30-2003, 07:09 PM

i always get it done at walmart, no problems at all
Old 11-30-2003, 07:25 PM
Pizda Boy

I doubt you get a new oil filter with a $12 oil job. If you do it's a crappy one. Once and for all people who think that synthetic oil isn't good in high mileage cars, you need to read up on that stuff. Those spending the extra money on high mileage oil you need to read up too.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by JaTaN
You should've done it by yourself since the weather was great today
You mean you didn't have to give up NFL for entertaining your g/f's family from outta town? Good man!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:37 PM

Forget about the oil at walmart check out the women of walmart in playboy, mmmmmmmm.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by MaxedOutOfCash
I doubt you get a new oil filter with a $12 oil job. If you do it's a crappy one. Once and for all people who think that synthetic oil isn't good in high mileage cars, you need to read up on that stuff. Those spending the extra money on high mileage oil you need to read up too.
You get a new, crappy filter (probably a FRAM) The supplies they use, you can probably buy it for $6-$8 retail, but they only pay like $3-$4 wholesale for the supplies. The rest is profit!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:41 PM
SXN

you do get a crappy filter. also synthetic is probably better for a high mileage car than high mileage oil. Also depends how frequently you change the oil.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Frank Fontaine
You mean you didn't have to give up NFL for entertaining your g/f's family from outta town? Good man!
You could've entertained them by letting them watch you oil change It takes like 10 minutes and you could get oil all over yourself and let them laugh at you while you try to get it off
Old 11-30-2003, 08:06 PM
will fly for food

Originally Posted by XeroX
Your mistake(s)... you bought a truck...then you bought a ford?!!?!?!?!

Now you drive a max....good choice but bad rep for you past man.... lol jk
welllll the toyota truck was just something to get me around, then the tbird had the V8, leather, sunroof, and climate control so I thought i'd go the luxury route for a while... but then realized tbirds dont fly.. the just crash and flip into a ditch... then I saw the light and got my max
Old 11-30-2003, 08:08 PM
SXN

Originally Posted by JaTaN
You could've entertained them by letting them watch you oil change It takes like 10 minutes and you could get oil all over yourself and let them laugh at you while you try to get it off
or your girl friend could help you get it off, and her parents could pick up food or dispose of the oil
Old 11-30-2003, 10:45 PM

why in the world wouldnt you do it yourself, its a bolt you unscrew, and a filter.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:12 AM
Old Maxima Legend

i say use the nissan dealership. what is it 20 bucks ? its worth it to me, when i see a group of them swarming around the car hawk eyeing everything. no idea about walmart, i just feel the dealership will do it much better from my experience.
Old 12-01-2003, 08:13 AM
Boosted Panda

Originally Posted by Phatmax98
Your right, changing your own oil is very easy. Never heard of it being hard or not being logical though. If you live in an APT, buy some ramps, get an oil change pan, change your oil, take it to autozone or someplace similar to get rid of it. Done! Your right, it's not expensive if you take it to walmart, but it's less expensive to do it yourself. Yes you will be set back a little for the ramps and oil change pan, but it'll pay off in the long run.

Im curious, do you transport the oil in your car? In the trunk? I have no room in my trunk due to my amp and speaker box. I also have no room at my APT to store ramps. Also, some apt.s dont allow you to work on your car there.
I do most of the work on my car, but the oilchange is something I can pass up.
Id rather browse the DVD section and skim thru mags while its being done.
Old 12-01-2003, 10:06 AM

Do it yourself if you have a place to be able to do it, otherwise, go to the stealership. OEM filters are the best.

I personally don't let ANYONE touch my car besides myself. Hell, when my tranny goes, I'll probably install it myself.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:15 PM

Im curious, do you transport the oil in your car? In the trunk? I have no room in my trunk due to my amp and speaker box. I also have no room at my APT to store ramps. Also, some apt.s dont allow you to work on your car there.
Drain the oil in a oil container. Then put in new oil. Now take your old oil and put it back in the empty bottles. Close up the bottles and put them in a bag. Drop off the bag at AutoZone or Jiffy Lube
Old 12-01-2003, 03:23 PM
Most Perverted Member of the SE-L Club

wow, it's rare that a thread this full of BS thrives so well.

1. to answer the original question: You get what you pay for. I could go to the local service center, pay $20 and have my oil changed. That $20 means low-quality oil ( not the Mobil 1 synthetic that i use), and having someone who stands around all day getting paid minimum wage to change oil work on my baby.
I had 2 oil changes done on my max. After the second, i tried it myself, partially to see how hard it was, and partially because i was bored outta my mind. when i went to unscrew the old oil filter, i found that it had been screwed on so tight, it actually went past the threads on the filter, and into the actual filter. I never went back there again. I have the space and tools to change my oil, so i do it myself. As a matter of fact, i just finished 25 minutes ago
Long story short is what's most important is the frequency of the oil changes, not who does it or what goes in
BS. So, if the idiot happens to get dirt and **** in the new oil, that's ok?

Walmart/service chains use sub-standard oil, yet they charge you premium-oil prices. They charge you a dollar under retail for the filter, when they pay roughly a quarter a piece. How does that add up to being cheaper? If you went to an autoparts store and bought the same quality of oil that's used at wal-mart, you'd pay 99 cents a quart!!!!

In the end, it's your choice as to what you want to do, but at least know the truth first.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:13 PM
SXN

right on gecko...
Old 12-01-2003, 06:30 PM

You don't have to leave it in the pan, drain it into bottles like JaTan said, but I guess it is all personal preference.

Quick Reply: Walmart Question