Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

GL 4 vs GL 5

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:38 PM

GL 4 vs GL 5

What's the difference between GL 4 fluid vs the GL 5 fluid. Also how does mobile 1 tranny fluid compare to Redline or Amsoil. I just changed my fluid and used Mobile 1 (which is a GL 5). I have always used this in all my cars because I've heard it is the best. Any thoughts.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:57 AM

There's a sticky three or four threads above this one, but if you can't see it, here's the link.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=225766
Old 12-30-2003, 11:14 AM

Mobil 1 will probaly be okay. It is the Valvoline and others that I definately would not use.

The conventional GL5 gear oils have friction modifiers and additives that will "eat up" the synchros in the gears. Since Mobil 1 75w-90 is fully synthetic, it does not need the friction modifiers and other excessive additives to get the job done.

Give Mobil's tech line a call to get their answer.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Website regarding Mobil 1 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil:
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...rLubricant.asp

Excerpt:
"Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lubricant 75W-90 combines wax-free synthesised hydrocarbon base oils and a specially designed extreme-pressure, limited-slip, sulphur-phosphorous additive system..."
sulphur-phosphorous additive? I believe it is the sulfur-based additive in GL-5 gear oil which corrodes brass synchros...
Old 01-01-2004, 06:45 PM

If you're going to bother to switch to synthetic, use Amsoil or Redline. In the gear oils, you'll get much more for your money.

A conventional GL5 fluid has roughly double the amount of EP additives as a GL4 fluid does. These specs are not backwards compatible and a conventional GL5 fluid in a Maxima transmission can destroy it. Both Amsoil's and Redline's formulations are safe to use.