Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Heading down to the local auto store. WHICH fluids are woth the investment?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 08:10 AM

Heading down to the local auto store. WHICH fluids are woth the investment?

I got a 95 se with 122k. I had it since august and had only changed the oil along with adding an STP fuel cleaner.

Anyway what i want to know is which fluids are woth the penny. I am looking for perhaps some performace agains, but more focusing on that MPG (220/tank currently)

Which stuff is the best.... let me know cuz i got my shoes on, my keys in my hand, and a near empty wallet. I guess im ready to go... once i get some replys. THANKS
Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 AM

Local store probably won't have them, but get BG44K fuel injection cleaner, which is definately the best. Get the Amsoil engine flush to dissolve and wash out the sludge in the engine. Get some Gunk Throttle Body cleaner. Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Old 03-08-2004, 09:28 AM

any significant effects on fuel efficency?
Old 03-08-2004, 10:31 AM

It CAN have a huge impact on fuel efficiency. I say can because it's hard to know what your cars been through and how much carbon and sludge has built up over the years. Better than the BG44K in the gas tank, getting a full BG44K fuel system flush will pretty much get rid of all deposits, but I've had fantastic results on lots of cars.
Old 03-08-2004, 05:48 PM

Did anyone ever try this:

http://www.restoreusa.com/index.html
Old 03-09-2004, 08:31 AM

anyone at all? I need to improve gas milage ASAP
Old 03-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

What kind of gas mileage are you getting? 220 a tank
don't meen diddly. You know how to check your actual MPG right? You have the 3.0L so figure a good MPG should be about 22-23 city and 28-29 highway. Post up some numbers after a couple fillups. As far as improving combustion effeciency in a motor with 122K miles: Plugs,coils,cat converter,fuel filter,air filter, drive easier, etc. etc.
Old 03-10-2004, 12:58 PM

Not gonna be at your local store, but check out this thread for a car with your miles:

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=222347

Stuff looks like it is the real deal, has many fervent supporters.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:24 PM

techron and redline those are some good over the counter additive. both of these additives retail for around 5-6 dollars.
you can find them at any strauss since you live in brooklyn.
jet black since you live in brooklyn your mpg is not goin to be anywhere near those posted
you have to take in to account all the stop and go traffic
also if you take frequent short trips, etc
i get like 175-200 a tank
becuase of the above
and i have a heavy foot
Old 03-12-2004, 11:20 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Originally Posted by 03maximan
What kind of gas mileage are you getting? 220 a tank
don't meen diddly. You know how to check your actual MPG right? You have the 3.0L so figure a good MPG should be about 22-23 city and 28-29 highway. Post up some numbers after a couple fillups. As far as improving combustion effeciency in a motor with 122K miles: Plugs,coils,cat converter,fuel filter,air filter, drive easier, etc. etc.
That's pretty dumb, saying 220 a tank means diddly. If he said he got 13mpg it would be the same thing.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big D
That's pretty dumb, saying 220 a tank means diddly. If he said he got 13mpg it would be the same thing.
What does a "tank", mean run it down till gauge reading 1/8th,
gauge reading 1/4th or run till you run out of gas?
I only got 140 miles on my last "tank", of course i
filled up when gauge reading about 1/2 though, so
unless you do some math you'll never know what your MPG is!
Old 03-15-2004, 10:20 PM
Hooooooonda.....

Dude what the hell are you talking about? A tank is when that little light comes on saying that you need gas. How is filling up at 1/2 tank considered to be tank? You only filled half the tank(which is very inacurate btw) so you can't call it your "last tank", it's called a fill-up broham.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:50 AM

Dude what the hell are you talking about? A tank is when that little light comes on saying that you need gas. How is filling up at 1/2 tank considered to be tank? You only filled half the tank(which is very inacurate btw) so you can't call it your "last tank", it's called a fill-up broham.
Nothin to get upset about man, to be honest I've never seen a light come on.
But all I was sayin is that to truely know what kind of gas mileage your getting
you have to divide the gallons used into the miles driven thats all.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:31 PM

There are numerous threads about how to accurately calculate your mileage. If a thread explaining it can't be found, common sense should dictate. Getting gas when the idiot light comes on is not an accurate way.
I'll post it again, though (03maximan has it right): Start with a full tank. Set your trip odometer to zero. Drive. Next time you feel you need gas, get some. For more accuracy, use the same station, same pump, and fill to the first automatic shut-off of the pump. Record the number of gallons it took. Now look at your trip odometer. Take that number, and divide by total number of gallons it took to get you back to full. That is your mileage, expressed in "mpg". Reset your trip odometer. Repeat procedure.
This is the easiest, most accurate way to keep track of mileage in the real world. Our idiot lights are not accurate, and neither is our gauge. Drive around with the light on, take some turns or do some stops. See the light flicker? See the needle on the gauge move around. Enough said.
Keeping a log will help you develop an accurate way to see averages, and can alert you to trends affecting mileage (station, fuel grade, etc...). Sudden drops can indicate mechanical problems, low tire pressures, aggressive driving, etc.

Dave
Old 03-18-2004, 04:27 AM

Maybe for you. How much was left in your tank when the light came on? 1 gallon, 2 gallons, 2.13143424 gallons, ????

A "tank" is when it is bone dry and the car refuses to run anymore because it is out of gas. That is the only way measuring by the "tank" is accurate. When you know it is empty you take how many miles you went divided by the tank's capacity. When the light comes on, it is a different measurement of how much you used for every make/year/model.

It doesn't matter if you fill up a 1/2 a tank, 1/3 a tank or 4/5 a tank. The calculation is done from your last fill up to this fill up:

How many miles I drove from last fill up DIVIDED BY How many gallons I put in at this fill up. Pretty simple to understand really.