Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Regarding Automatic Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 04:09 AM

Regarding Automatic Transmission Flush

I was looking to get this done today. When I had taken my car to get a recall about a month ago, i was told I needed a transmission flush. I had read the how-to in the forum and was wondering if anyone had any problems when doing this? Anyone have pictures of doing this as well? Do's and dont's would be very helpful.

thanks
Old 10-18-2004, 05:55 AM

Bizzzz-ump
Old 10-18-2004, 07:41 AM
drag racing is for wussies

Dealer gonna use their flusing machine ? I highly recomend using the flush machine, it will flush out the whole trans, not just whats in the trans pan. When I worked at Nissan I used to flush out my moms Sentra with it every 15K miles. Its very good stuff.
Old 10-18-2004, 07:49 AM

So to bring it to the dealer and forget about it? Or can i bring it to a local place, will this mess up my warrenty?
Old 10-18-2004, 07:52 AM
drag racing is for wussies

If they use a fluid exchanger machine then it should be ok. I still trust Nissan dealer more than some local shop. If Nissan messes up, they owe ya a tranny. If a local shop messes up, then they owe ya a tranny. But getting a tranny out of a local shop is not as ez as it would be out of Nissan- since they can warranty it even if its out of mileage.
Old 10-18-2004, 09:19 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Dealer gonna use their flusing machine ? I highly recomend using the flush machine, it will flush out the whole trans, not just whats in the trans pan. When I worked at Nissan I used to flush out my moms Sentra with it every 15K miles. Its very good stuff.
Yeah but I have heard that they actually don't flush the tranny, they just remove the drain plug and add new oil..... is that true? My car has 79K miles, should I do the flush? or should I just replace the oil..... I'm kind of holding this because of the miles....
Old 10-18-2004, 09:38 AM

I did my own flush a few months back without too much trouble (I disconnected the wrong side of the return hose and drenched myself and the garage in ATF).

Sorry I dont have any pics, but there is a "how to" that has pics.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NewLoveI30
I did my own flush a few months back without too much trouble (I disconnected the wrong side of the return hose and drenched myself and the garage in ATF).

Sorry I dont have any pics, but there is a "how to" that has pics.
I did the same thing when I flushed out my trans. I think the how write i read was wrong, they had you diconnecting the wrong end of the hose. Once that minor issue was resolved the flush was a piece of cake to do in the driveway.
I had about 25K miles on the car when i did mine, i took the pan off also and cleaned the (filthy) magnets in the bottom of the pan, and the fluid was brownish. I went with the Amsoil ATF and like it so far.
Old 10-18-2004, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the relpys, very appeiciated. maximan.. where was the right hose located? bolts, brackets, etc etc.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:59 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by nyautostyle
Thanks for the relpys, very appeiciated. maximan.. where was the right hose located? bolts, brackets, etc etc.
http://www.greghome.com/images/Maxim...urnLineOff.jpg
This is the write up i used. It shows the hose attached to trans and disconnected from the cooler. Should be disconnected from the trans, the fluid shoots out of the cooler, so you need a hose on it. Do like the instructions tell you and aim it into a pan.
Old 10-20-2004, 10:30 PM

Cool, i wish i had this before i brought it to the shop. I have a question, anyone after doing this still have the Check Engine light on? It's been about 3 days now and it's still on.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:52 AM

okay check engine light is still on, i cant figure out why. Does it need to be reset after the job is done? i would doubt it
Old 11-04-2004, 04:41 AM
Otis_Speeding

Cool, i wish i had this before i brought it to the shop. I have a question, anyone after doing this still have the Check Engine light on? It's been about 3 days now and it's still on.
Go out and grab a code reader. I think every car owner should have one. Saved me alot of time and money diagnosing my own car. Very good idea IMO.

Old 11-04-2004, 02:27 PM

how much do they usually run for?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:01 PM
Otis_Speeding

I got mine for around 80 bucks on ebay. The best thing I've spent my money on so far. Tells you what every code is..and lets you reset the light at any time. The error code will come back if there still is a prob..but at least you'll know it's not the ecu hickuping.

Old 11-04-2004, 06:56 PM

I was looking to get this done today. When I had taken my car to get a recall about a month ago, i was told I needed a transmission flush. I had read the how-to in the forum and was wondering if anyone had any problems when doing this? Anyone have pictures of doing this as well? Do's and dont's would be very helpful.

thanks
the hardest part is to take off that damn filter... i couldnt do it