Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

another seafoam question???

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 11:45 PM

another seafoam question???

I just purchased my first bottle of Seafoam the other day and was planning on using it in the next couple of days. my question is:

If I add seafoam to my crankcase as it states to on the can, do I need to flush it after a few minutes of running or do I leave it in and drive with it? the can doesn't specify wether or not it is okay and their website had nothing either.

Any other precautions I should watch out for too? I am planning on doing the fuel tank and the fuel injection as well.

Thanks for the help!
Old 11-22-2004, 09:34 AM

When I did it the very first time, I just put it in there and drove around the block like 2 times and then changed the oil right away (to get most of the sludge and stuff out). Then I added like 1/4 of the can in the oil after the oil change and left it there for ~1000 miles and changed the oil again.

Now I'm back to the regular 3k mile oil change interval, but I did add some SeaFoam like 100-200 miles before the last oil change. Thinking about using this stuff like once or twice a year from now on.

When you do it for the brake booster hose, let it go in slowly and you might have to pull the throttle thing up to keep the car from turning off. Push the throttle up, let some of it get sucked it, and let it idle for a few seconds. Then push the throttle up again and let some more go in, then let it idle for a few seconds and so on...