Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Fuel system and tranny flush..

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004, 08:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Fuel system and tranny flush..

Hey everyone,

I think it's probably about time to do some preventative maintenance on my '00 GXE. It's an auto with 56,000 miles. I was getting a slow leak fixed on a tire yesterday and the shop I was at asked if I had done it recently, which I had not and been intending on doing.

They took samples of all my fluids for me to see and everything looked alright, but I'm thinking of going ahead and letting them do a fuel system clean and transmission flush.

Is this something I should let them handle or should I try it myself? I've never ventured into this type of thing before so I'm thinking of just letting them do it. While they're performing these two things is there anything else I should have them do. I noticed from some posts that the 5th gen has the fuel filter inside the gas tank. I'll have to talk with the shop and see if they'll change that for me without robbing me blind.

Please post back anything I should be aware of before letting them perform these or other services. I believe they quoted me $89 for the fuel system clean and $89 for the tranmission flush. Does this seem like a good deal? Those prices also get an additional $20 in rebates from the fluid manufacturer and I get a 10% discount for being a student.
Old 11-25-2004, 02:17 PM

Is your car auto? I assume it is. If so, then ask them if they allow you to use your own fluid. If that's ok, then go buy 12 quarts of Redline D4 ATF or Mobil1 ATF, and ask them to use it.

As for fuel system flush, you should ask them what they actually do to do the flush.