Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Marvel Mystery Oil (gas additive) make your engine knock?1

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 07:22 PM

Marvel Mystery Oil (gas additive) make your engine knock?1

My gf got me this stuff called Marvel Mystery Oil (some stuff in a red bottle you can get just about anywhere that sells oil), it's this oil/gas additive incase you didn't know, I added 8 oz of it to about 10 gallons of gas (I use Sunoco 93 octane) and my engine seems to be knocking a bit! No CEL, but I'm not putting this stuff in there ever again. Has anyone else used it and had problems? Or good results maybe?
Old 12-01-2004, 07:29 PM

Your engine shouldn't be knocking at all unless you've done a knock sensor bypass. Even if your knock sensor is dead, the car would go into "safe" mode and not knock unless you bypassed the sensor with a resistor.

I know of the additive you're talking about, I've never seen it for fuel though, I thought it was just an oil additive... hence the name.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:33 PM
It's chrome alright...

Marvel Mystery Oil is crap...sorry, an additive. Nissan recommends not putting cra...I mean additives in your oil.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by 2k2kev
Marvel Mystery Oil is crap...sorry, an additive. Nissan recommends not putting cra...I mean additives in your oil.
I think he added it to his gasoline, not his oil which may be the cause of the problems.

Also, not ALL additives are bad. I like Zmax and have had good experiences with it. I've used it in all my cars and no problems so far.

There was a street once where they were repaving it, so they strip the old pavement off first. My mom drove her car over a manhole cover that now sat higher than before due to the missing asphalt and it hit her oil pan. She spilled out all her oil and didn't even notice. She made it home (about 5 miles) with no problems or noises. She only told me that her oil light had come on. I went to check and after some checking, saw that she had gouged a nice hole in the oil pan and made it home with zero oil. I replaced the oil pan, refilled the car with oil and Zmax and started it, no problems.

I really think that if it weren't for Zmax, the car would have exhibited some sort of problem other than the oil light.
Old 12-01-2004, 07:57 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Igobuk
I think he added it to his gasoline, not his oil which may be the cause of the problems.
My bad.

Marvel Mystery Oil is crap...sorry, an additive. Nissan recommends not putting cra...I mean additives in your gas.
Also, not ALL additives are bad. I like Zmax and have had good experiences with it. I've used it in all my cars and no problems so far.

There was a street once where they were repaving it, so they strip the old pavement off first. My mom drove her car over a manhole cover that now sat higher than before due to the missing asphalt and it hit her oil pan. She spilled out all her oil and didn't even notice. She made it home (about 5 miles) with no problems or noises. She only told me that her oil light had come on. I went to check and after some checking, saw that she had gouged a nice hole in the oil pan and made it home with zero oil. I replaced the oil pan, refilled the car with oil and Zmax and started it, no problems.

I really think that if it weren't for Zmax, the car would have exhibited some sort of problem other than the oil light.
Zmax is .......

But we're talking about opinions, aren't we.... or are we?
http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2001/02/zmax1.htm

The agency alleges that enhanced performance claims for the product are unsubstantiated, that tests cited to support performance claims actually demonstrated that motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion than motor oil alone, and that the three different products - an engine additive, a fuel line additive and a transmission additive - were all actually tinted mineral oil.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:00 PM

Zmax is .......

But we're talking about opinions, aren't we.
We're all entitled to them.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:03 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by Igobuk
We're all entitled to them.
Yep...you, me, and the Federal Trade Commission.

In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results...

Additives are crap.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:09 PM

mystery oil additive can be added to the gas to it says so on the bottle it is an excellent product i can't undersatnd why it would hurt your car i have never put it in my max sence i dont need it i use synthetic oil.
Old 12-01-2004, 08:11 PM

Yep...you, me, and the Federal Trade Commission.

In February/March 1997, an independent laboratory performed two CRC L38 tests of zMax for Speedway and Oil Chem. In those tests, motor oil treated with zMax produced more than twice as much bearing corrosion as motor oil alone. The complaint also states that the defendants fabricated one "report" from the two test reports, eliminating the bearing corrosion results and all other negative test results...

Additives are crap.
Hmm... In knowledge there is power. I feel bamboozled. Thanks for the info and saving me a few bucks on every oil change.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:36 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally Posted by sterlingmaxima
mystery oil additive can be added to the gas to it says so on the bottle
It says so on the bottle?!?! NICE!
it is an excellent product
It says so on the bottle!
i can't undersatnd why it would hurt your car
It won't, it says so on the bottle!
i have never put it in my max sence i dont need it i use synthetic oil.
It's safe for use with synthetic oil, it says on the bottle!!!

Or you can go by this...

Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, etc... All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older, abused one. The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful metal-to-metal contact within your engine.

I know you're some kind of engine expert and can measure engine crud to the 1/1000th of an inch, but the rest of us shouldn't be using these bottles of cra.....I mean 'additives' in our cars.
Old 12-01-2004, 09:57 PM
Always sunny in philly

It says so on the bottle?!?! NICE!It says so on the bottle!It won't, it says so on the bottle!It's safe for use with synthetic oil, it says on the bottle!!!

Or you can go by this...

Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, etc... All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older, abused one. The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful metal-to-metal contact within your engine.

I know you're some kind of engine expert and can measure engine crud to the 1/1000th of an inch, but the rest of us shouldn't be using these bottles of cra.....I mean 'additives' in our cars.
Damn, sounds like additives are crap. :shrugs:
Old 12-02-2004, 06:00 AM

2k2kev: It says so on the bottle?!?! NICE!It says so on the bottle!It won't, it says so on the bottle!It's safe for use with synthetic oil, it says on the bottle!!!

Or you can go by this...

I know you're some kind of engine expert and can measure engine crud to the 1/1000th of an inch, but the rest of us shouldn't be using these bottles of cra.....I mean 'additives' in our cars
Thank GOD! We have someone to do our research!
Old 12-02-2004, 11:02 AM
Wat

Originally Posted by Nismotic
Damn, sounds like additives are crap. :shrugs:

Additives that are sold to the general public are crap. If you want things that actually work, go ask your mechanic.