Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Question about AutoRx..

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005 | 10:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Question about AutoRx..

I was reading their website, looks really cool and all, read the instructions etc and i see where it says "works with ALL oils but better with regular oil, synthetic bonds sludge to parts" or something to that effect, and it says use regular oil on the rinse phase then switch to whatever you want- now, im at 71,000 miles on an 01 and im ALREADY using synthetic- only for 1 oil change though(i just put it in 2k miles ago, i havent changed it yet i mean) so should i get some and use it like it says, or 2) use it w/ the synthetic(Mobil 1 by the way) and drain it out and put regular oil, say GTX in for the 1500 mile rinse cycle(which your not supposed to change oil) but after using the AutoRx does that make it ok to go from synth. to regular and back? or stick with M1 all the way?
Old 11-15-2005 | 12:24 AM

Do what the site says, dino oil through the whole thing. It doesnt work as well with synthetic as it does dino. After that, you are fine to switch back to synthentic.
Old 11-15-2005 | 12:34 AM

I just finished an auto-rx cycle. I had Red Line Synthetic in the vehicle and I added auto-rx to the RL. Just leave it in a little longer. When you change oil for the flush cycle use dino. There is a rinse cycle that also requires dino. Change filters a couple of times during the flush and rinse. My SUV had filthy black oil during the flush, during the rinse the oil turned an ugly reddish brown. It has a fresh fill of Red Line 10-30 now.
My I30 had fairly clean oil for the flush and rinse but it only had 27K on it when we bought it. I used auto-rx just so I could start with a clean slate. You never know how a previous owner treated the car. It has a fesh fill of Red Line 5-30 now. After warranty, I'll run RL 10-30 in both vehicles.
Old 11-15-2005 | 07:44 AM

This is not rocket science.

All you have to do is change your oil filter and drive 1,500 miles with the synthetic oil you presently have. Change the oil and filter, but use only dino oil, drive for 2,000 miles. Then change the oil and filter, but this time change back to synthetic oil if you so choose.

You can use synthetic oil during the initial clean phase, but you MUST use dino oil for the 2,000 mile rinse phase, ie. the 2nd phase.

The instructions are written in plain English, follow them precisely.
Old 11-15-2005 | 08:36 AM

Ok, I'll do exactly that then, change filter, change oil to dino, then switch back to M1, thanks for the input guys
Old 11-15-2005 | 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
Ok, I'll do exactly that then, change filter, change oil to dino, then switch back to M1, thanks for the input guys
You are confusing me. Have you started using AutoRX yet? I was under the impression you hadn't.

How long were you planning on running your initial synthetic oil change? If you haven't started using AutoRX, just hold off until you are 1,500 miles from the end of the OCI and then use it, but switch the oil filter the same time.

After 1,500 miles, go to dino oil and a new filter for 2,000 miles.

To reiterate, you are good to go with the existing synthetic oil for the clean phase.

Once you get to the rinse phase, use dino oil and a new filter. Perhaps this is where you are getting to now, but I don't know.
Old 11-16-2005 | 04:38 PM

No, haha sorry to confuse you, i havent started it yet but i am running mobil 1 about 2k miles into an oil change, so yeah i was gonna hold off til about 1500 miles before i changed it to start the AutoRx, the only thing i was asking was if it was ok to change back to dino after using synthetic, which I had heard was a big NO. I guess its ok though, thanks for the help guys
Old 11-16-2005 | 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by carsarecool
No, haha sorry to confuse you, i havent started it yet but i am running mobil 1 about 2k miles into an oil change, so yeah i was gonna hold off til about 1500 miles before i changed it to start the AutoRx, the only thing i was asking was if it was ok to change back to dino after using synthetic, which I had heard was a big NO. I guess its ok though, thanks for the help guys
You can change back and forth between dino and synthetic oil with no problems. Also, syn-blends are a combination of the two and they're on store shelfs everywhere.