Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Coolant flush ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 08:28 AM

Coolant flush ...

Is there a sticky for how to flush the coolant? Can someone point me in the right direction, can't seem to find it. Thanks much!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:41 AM
VaporHead

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/diy_ki...290163,00.html

Pretty basic for all cars.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:15 PM

How many use radiator flush to clean the system? Or will water do the job? As a general rule, how many times do you flush w/ water after the coolant is drained? And what kind of water do you all use, regular tap water to flush or distilled water in the flushing process as well?
Old 09-10-2006, 12:33 PM
VaporHead

I personally have not used the Radiator Flush stuff, but just basically drain the coolant and flush it out with hose about 2 times.

Old 09-10-2006, 12:59 PM

Ok, anyone have pics of where the drain plugs are? I've tried to locate them according to the owners manual, but still couldn't find them. Any one have pics? Thanks much!
Old 09-10-2006, 02:20 PM
VaporHead

You will have to remove the lower plastic splash guard below the radiator. The plug is right forward of that big radiator hose at the bottom. I believe it's a phillips head type plug you will have to unscrew.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:32 PM

Ahhh I see, how do you remove the black plastic tabs that hold the splash guard?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:43 PM
VaporHead

Put a flat head screw driver in between the plastic faster, and that black pin in the center. You will probably brake them getting them out, but they are cheap and can be found at your local auto store. Basically, that center piece spreads the base out and holds the retaining plug in. I've busted almost everyone I've taken out. Cheap junk.

Old 09-10-2006, 04:08 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

I'm with ya, VH - I loathe those fasteners.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:11 PM

We've got the same car.....for the rad. drain there should be a hole in the splash shield (lower right corner of the rad.). Use a #3 Phillips, careful it's plastic. The front block drain is a large plug just under the exhaust manifold that has a 22 mm hex. head. You can't miss it. Get a mirror or look from underneath. BUT......at least on the "00 Fed. cars the REAR bank plug is a ***** (at least with the car NOT on a hoist). It's a 17 mm hex. headed, pipe threaded SOB located in about the same relative location as the front. The precats/exhaust/heatshields, structures....you name it, they are in the way. I could not even get my fingers on the plug. I got in with about a 2 ft. extension and a flex drive, but it was still tough. Use a hex socket (not a 12pt.) to help prevent rounding off the corners if it's really tight and because it is hard to get on square. With both block drains removed and the rad. drained it took a total of about 6.5qts. to refill including the expansion tank. I did not drain/purge the heater core. If you purge the heater it will take about 8 qts. You have to refill slowly in steps and you must use the bleeder screw to fully fill the system. Absolutely watch for overheating after starting up during the refill. DO NOT pour cold coolant into a hot system on the refill steps. You gotta let it cool down if required. Recheck the level a couple of times after getting the engine running at operating temp. and then cooling down.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:30 PM

I just did a coolant flush a couple of weeks ago. I went about flushing the radiator about 5-6 times using 6 gallons of distilled water. I didn't even bother opening the block plugs because they are a pain in the @ss. On the 6th flush, though, the water flowing thru the radiator was basically clear. This is what you want to accomplish when doing a complete flush...drain all the old coolant out until the water is basically clear flowing out of the radiator. There's no need to remove the splash guard underneath the car...there's already an opening for the removal of the radiator plug. Drain and add new distilled water in the radiator. Start up car with HEAT on high. The temperature should rise rather quickly after a few minutes. This will get the coolant flowing thru the heater core and everything. Turn off car and let sit a couple minutes (10-15 min) so that the coolant/water can cool down. Drain the radiator again and keep repeating the process until you get clear water flowing out of the radiator. Once it's clear, you know you have a good clean flush. I wouldn't recommend using tap water for the flush, because it has minerals in it. Distilled water is much better. Also, by the way, I refilled with Toyota red coolant which is much cheaper (maybe also better) than Nissan's green coolant. When refilling coolant, I also wouldn't recommend putting in Prestone unless it silicate free. Coolants with silicates tend to damage our delicate water pumps in our Max's.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
We've got the same car.....for the rad. drain there should be a hole in the splash shield (lower right corner of the rad.). Use a #3 Phillips, careful it's plastic. The front block drain is a large plug just under the exhaust manifold that has a 22 mm hex. head. You can't miss it. Get a mirror or look from underneath. BUT......at least on the "00 Fed. cars the REAR bank plug is a ***** (at least with the car NOT on a hoist). It's a 17 mm hex. headed, pipe threaded SOB located in about the same relative location as the front. The precats/exhaust/heatshields, structures....you name it, they are in the way. I could not even get my fingers on the plug. I got in with about a 2 ft. extension and a flex drive, but it was still tough. Use a hex socket (not a 12pt.) to help prevent rounding off the corners if it's really tight and because it is hard to get on square. With both block drains removed and the rad. drained it took a total of about 6.5qts. to refill including the expansion tank. I did not drain/purge the heater core. If you purge the heater it will take about 8 qts. You have to refill slowly in steps and you must use the bleeder screw to fully fill the system. Absolutely watch for overheating after starting up during the refill. DO NOT pour cold coolant into a hot system on the refill steps. You gotta let it cool down if required. Recheck the level a couple of times after getting the engine running at operating temp. and then cooling down.

Thanks for the tips! I thought it was a easy find for the engine block plug, but I guess not, nothing on this engine is an easy find. Anyhow, would just flushing the radiator be enough? I know it'll be only part of the system, I believe it's around 5 qts, correct me if I'm wrong, just doing the rad and res. tank.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
I just did a coolant flush a couple of weeks ago. I went about flushing the radiator about 5-6 times using 6 gallons of distilled water. I didn't even bother opening the block plugs because they are a pain in the @ss. On the 6th flush, though, the water flowing thru the radiator was basically clear. This is what you want to accomplish when doing a complete flush...drain all the old coolant out until the water is basically clear flowing out of the radiator. There's no need to remove the splash guard underneath the car...there's already an opening for the removal of the radiator plug. Drain and add new distilled water in the radiator. Start up car with HEAT on high. The temperature should rise rather quickly after a few minutes. This will get the coolant flowing thru the heater core and everything. Turn off car and let sit a couple minutes (10-15 min) so that the coolant/water can cool down. Drain the radiator again and keep repeating the process until you get clear water flowing out of the radiator. Once it's clear, you know you have a good clean flush. I wouldn't recommend using tap water for the flush, because it has minerals in it. Distilled water is much better. Also, by the way, I refilled with Toyota red coolant which is much cheaper (maybe also better) than Nissan's green coolant. When refilling coolant, I also wouldn't recommend putting in Prestone unless it silicate free. Coolants with silicates tend to damage our delicate water pumps in our Max's.

Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah, the engine block plugs are probably a pain in the @$$, considering I haven't found them yet, hehe. I'm sticking w/ Nissan coolant, I don't like Prestone, and I'll be using distilled water as well. Will one gallon of coolant be sufficient? What mixture did you guys use? 50/50 or 60/40 coolant/water. Is there much of an advantage of using more coolant over water besides the freezing point, I mean is too much antifreeze bad for the engine?
Old 09-10-2006, 05:02 PM

If you don't want to remove the block plugs then use MIXXMAX's process. Mine had never been out and I wanted to see the condition of the drained coolant from the block. For several minutes I just flushed water thru the rad. and block and out the drains, periodically closing and opening the rad. drain. It flowed clean very quickly. I mixed my own 55/45 mix and I like the idea of filling an empty engine block and rad. The block holds quite a bit of water after flushing and not opening the block plugs again do drain the water, it seems to me you might have to make a coolant mix "adjustment" afterwards.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:07 PM

P.Samson,
Did you use any kind of thread sealer on the engine block plugs?
Old 09-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mints33
Awesome, that's what I wanted to hear. Yeah, the engine block plugs are probably a pain in the @$$, considering I haven't found them yet, hehe. I'm sticking w/ Nissan coolant, I don't like Prestone, and I'll be using distilled water as well. Will one gallon of coolant be sufficient? What mixture did you guys use? 50/50 or 60/40 coolant/water. Is there much of an advantage of using more coolant over water besides the freezing point, I mean is too much antifreeze bad for the engine?
Yeah, one gallon is sufficient. I used a 50/50 mix. The mixture depends on what type of climate you live in. I know a 50/50 mix is good enough for winter climates, whereas 60/40 is basically good for warmer climates all year around.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:24 PM

Thanks for the tips! I thought it was a easy find for the engine block plug, but I guess not, nothing on this engine is an easy find. Anyhow, would just flushing the radiator be enough? I know it'll be only part of the system, I believe it's around 5 qts, correct me if I'm wrong, just doing the rad and res. tank.
Actually, the whole coolant system holds about 8 qts (7 liters). That's including the reservoir. Now, if you don't drain the block, you'll be adding about 5-6 qts, since the block holds a couple of quarts. Upon refilling, you will have to keep on monitoring the reserve tank after a few drive cycles, because the radiator will keep on draining it if there isn't enough coolant in the system. Once the coolant stays around the full/max mark on the reserve tank, you'll know you have enough coolant.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:32 PM

RTV sealant/adhesive (Permatex Ultra Grey or Dow Corning 3145) applied to the threads is best but any RTV silicone sealant would work. NOTE: The front plug uses a copper gasket as well. The coolant mix should be at least 50% to no more than 70% ethylene glycol and using demineralized water is best.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:05 PM

Did you guys have a rubber gasket/washer around the plastic screw, the one underneath the radiator? I thought I saw somewhere there was supposed to be one, however there wasn't one on mine.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:43 PM

Yes, there should be an "O" ring on it.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:00 PM

Yes, I have the O ring at the end of the threads, opposite end of the screw head. But I've read somewhere, on an older model I think, but not certain, that there was a rubber washer as well right by the head. Do you have that?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:01 PM

I didn't see anything but the "O" ring. The "O" ring does the sealing. Lube the "O" ring with some anti-freeze and DO NOT OVERTORQUE!! The torque spec. is only 7 - 13 in/lbs. Just barely snug it.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by P. Samson
I didn't see anything but the "O" ring. The "O" ring does the sealing. Lube the "O" ring with some anti-freeze and DO NOT OVERTORQUE!! The torque spec. is only 7 - 13 in/lbs. Just barely snug it.

Awesome, thank you so much for all the help! That was greatly appreciated. I finally got the coolant changed, but didn't remove the block plugs, maybe next time I will. When I was cleaning the reservoir tank, I noticed there was some gunk on the bottom of it, quite dirty actually. And the darn tank isn't completely sealed. There's a ventilation hole, where dust and junk can get it. Now, is it a good idea to have it sealed? Tape over the hole or something?

Now that the coolant is outta the way, got to do the belts, power steering and alternator belts, you have any instructions/diagrams to do that, anyone?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 AM

Damn.......I should have mentioned the expansion tank. I just took mine off to drain and flush it. BUT DO NOT plug the vent on the side of the tank. That vent is for the whole system and has to be open to ambient.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:46 AM

Yeah, I took the tank off, drained and flushed it, that was the easy part. I still have a whole list of things to do ... ie plugs, pcv valve, atf fluid, belts, have you done all the above yet?
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hi guys,

What do you guys do with the old coolant? Is it safe to flush? My biggest problem with doing any fluid changes (except wiper!) is what to do with the old stuff.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:32 AM

I normally take my old oil, atf to jiffy lube, they make you sign a log sheet, and dump the oil for ya. I think they take brake fluid as well, but they don't take coolant. This was my first time doing the coolant, so I don't know where to take it to yet. Check w/ your local lube place, I'm sure they will, but some may charge ya too.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:33 AM

Has anyone gotten their coolant done at a dealer? I wonder if they take out the block plugs as well or if they just flush the radiator?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by jkayca
Hi guys,

What do you guys do with the old coolant? Is it safe to flush? My biggest problem with doing any fluid changes (except wiper!) is what to do with the old stuff.
Flush as in down the sink? NO, do not flush it down any drain!! It's hazardous material/waste, you need to dispose it properly. Call your service shop, they'll know what to do.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:16 PM
VaporHead

Awesome, thank you so much for all the help! That was greatly appreciated. I finally got the coolant changed, but didn't remove the block plugs, maybe next time I will. When I was cleaning the reservoir tank, I noticed there was some gunk on the bottom of it, quite dirty actually. And the darn tank isn't completely sealed. There's a ventilation hole, where dust and junk can get it. Now, is it a good idea to have it sealed? Tape over the hole or something?

Now that the coolant is outta the way, got to do the belts, power steering and alternator belts, you have any instructions/diagrams to do that, anyone?
I believe that "vent" hole in the tank is so that tank can relieve pressure. If it was plugged, it may burst.

Old 09-11-2006, 07:52 PM

Has anyone gotten their coolant done at a dealer? I wonder if they take out the block plugs as well or if they just flush the radiator?
Yes, I believe they do, since the price is much more than just a drain and fill.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by MIXXMAX
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Im about to do this and have some questions.
1) I would like to use this method guys. Thing is I have never done this before... when I remove the drain plug how much coolant can I expect to drain out? I have a large black circular thing that I got at Autozone that I use to drain my oil. Which is 4.5 quarts and it hold the oil fine. Will this be large enough for the whole flush?

2) So after the first drain how much Distilled water do I pour back in before I let the car run?

3) After doing this several times and after seeing just clear water coming out. What is the next step? I will be using the Nissan Fluid unless the Toyota Red is better or the same/cheaper?
4) How much do I pour in once all the water is clear? Do I still do a whole drain until it stops and then pour in just the coolant and let it mix with the existing water? Im just confused about this. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but Im about to do this and have some questions.
1) I would like to use this method guys. Thing is I have never done this before... when I remove the drain plug how much coolant can I expect to drain out? I have a large black circular thing that I got at Autozone that I use to drain my oil. Which is 4.5 quarts and it hold the oil fine. Will this be large enough for the whole flush?

2) So after the first drain how much Distilled water do I pour back in before I let the car run?

3) After doing this several times and after seeing just clear water coming out. What is the next step? I will be using the Nissan Fluid unless the Toyota Red is better or the same/cheaper?
4) How much do I pour in once all the water is clear? Do I still do a whole drain until it stops and then pour in just the coolant and let it mix with the existing water? Im just confused about this. Thanks.
To answer your questions...

1) I used a 7 quart container which worked out perfectly. You may want to get a larger one.

2) Pour as much distilled water in the radiator as much fluid drained out. I started with an empty distilled water jug and poured the drained coolant into that.

3) Toyota Red is cheaper than Nissan brand, but works just the same. After pouring distilled water back into the radiator, run the engine for a few minutes with the heat on high. Keep an eye on the coolant temp guage so that the car doesn't overheat. Turn off car and drain fluid again. Repeat process until water flows out clear. It took me about 5-6 gallons of distilled water to drain clear. (It would take alot less if you drain the block...but accessing it is too difficult.)

4) Only put in as much as you drained out. There is still fluid inside the block if you haven't drained the block. After all the drained fluid is clear, mix a 50-50 solution and fill up the radiator. Measure and drain out coolant resevoir and fill up with a slightly smaller amount. Start up car and have coolant get up to normal temp. Turn car off and monitor level inside resevoir tank. Fill up resevoir if below full mark. Repeat process until resevoir tank maintains a level at the full mark.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:11 PM
Mauja He Mauja

http://forum.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=278600
Old 05-02-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks I was actually on the 7th page of that thread I just want to make sure. Quick question. Do I replace the drain plug every time I drain?
Also does the radiator cap have to stay open when I drain on the bottom?

And lastly, I thought that once I get clear fluid coming out do that last drain and then just fill up the radiator all the way with 100% coolant. I thought that would create a roughly 50/50 mixture because of the distilled water already in the system...
Old 05-03-2007, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by zgrm100
Thanks I was actually on the 7th page of that thread I just want to make sure. Quick question. Do I replace the drain plug every time I drain?
Also does the radiator cap have to stay open when I drain on the bottom?

And lastly, I thought that once I get clear fluid coming out do that last drain and then just fill up the radiator all the way with 100% coolant. I thought that would create a roughly 50/50 mixture because of the distilled water already in the system...
What, exactly, do you mean by "replacing the drain plug every time?" You have to replace and tighten the plug each time you start the car to get the coolant flowing thru the system for each flush. And, yes, it's best to have the radiator cap open when you drain, so air doesn't get trapped. And, no, do NOT fill up the radiator with 100% coolant. Once the draining process comes out clear, this means MOST of the coolant flushed out of the block. The block only holds a few liters. Mix a 50-50 mixture and you will be fine.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 AM

ZGRM,

The system holds like 8-9 litres/qts so your goal is to purge all the old out w/ fresh distilled water. Then, drain the radiator again and some water will be in the engine. Close up the radiator plug, obviously, then put in 100% coolant into the radiator. Your goal is to put in ONLY 4-4.5 qts of 100% because you then know for sure that you got in there what you are supposed to have, which is 50% coolant/water mixture. Don't put in too much of the 100% even if rad is not full. Now, since ya got 4-4.5 qts of 100% in there, any remaining fluid you put in should be ONLY distilled water while topping off the system.

There is also posts on air bleeder valve as well on the .org. But, do not follow advice of putting in 50% mixture into the empty rad if you got pure distilled water in the engine since the engine holds like half of the fluid and then if you put in 50% into the rad your concentration will be low. Just keep track of how much 100% you put in and the rest is to be distilled. Then, if for some reason in the future you need to add more, leaks or whatever occur, THEN you add 50% mixture to keep the correct concentration.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:15 PM

after you drain, where do you put the water in to flush? in the radiator? or the resorvior? and after your done flushing where do you put in the 50/50 mixture rad or res?
Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 AM

After you drain, put the rad drain plug back in and fill SLOWLY into the radiator itself. It will take a while to fill if you actually fill SLOOOWWWLY. Run car w/ cap off, watch level, fill into rad to keep it full. Watch temp needle, run a few minutes w/ heater on, then shutoff and allow to cool down. Drain again and repeat until clear. Takes many times. When done, put in 1 gallon of straight coolant that is NOT diluted into the radiator directly, again SLOWLY. Then any remainder needed you put in a 50/50 mix into the rad and also the overflow container. This is because the system holds 8-9 qts total and some distilled water will always remain in the engine even after you drained the radiator. You have to make sure that somehow you get 1 gal of straight coolant in there to know that you have basically the 50/50 mixture. If for some reason you just can't get it all into rad, then put remainder into overflow and THEN fill rest w/ 50/50 mixture to proper level when it changes when the car is run and it sucks it into the engine,etc. Remember, put in undiluted coolant FIRST (1gal) and THEN use the other. Watch levels, keep topped off since it will change over a few engine cycles. Use the air bleeder valve, as well to burp air.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:07 PM

thanks, it helped me a great deal, so after the repeated water flush, i put in a gallon of straight coolant in the radiator, and then put another gallon of distilled water into the rad? so its 50/50? now wheres the air bleeder valve? and where can i get large amounts of distilled water? just the gallon jugs from the supermarket?

Quick Reply: Coolant flush ...