Garage and Workshop This forum is for discussions of what goes on in the garage - "the tools, the techniques, the tricks" ...or something like that. DO NOT POST QUESTIONS ABOUT YOUR CAR HERE.

Motive Pressure Brake Bleeder- novice review

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Motive Pressure Brake Bleeder- novice review

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum- move as appropriate

I was getting ready to replace one of my rear calipers and given the brake bleeding issues I had the last time (mushy pedal despite working on it for a while. And I have speed bleeders!!) I figured I should start looking around for a better way to bleed my brakes. I looked at the $30 hand held vacuum bleeder that Sears offers- good item but I started thinking that that was going to get old real quick sitting there pumping. Plus I’d run the risk of one hand getting waay bigger than the other (ya, hold the jokes!!).

So I found this little item which made everything so much easier for me, I had to put it out there.
Motive Pressure Brake Bleeder- novice review-universal_bleeder_2.jpg

Bought it from a local shop for those in Boston- hmsmotorsports.com. They're over in Danvers MA. Manufacturer is www.motiveproducts.com

I have to say, one of the best tool investments I’ve made, ever!! The guys I got it from just had the universal one- which is to say that they didn't have one that had a cap that would fit directly over our brake fluid reservoir (someone sells it though so, no biggie or you can make it like im planning on. I believe the manufacturer has an adapter for the 4th gen.)

So I got the universal one, you get a cap that’s much larger than our cap. However, this cap has a rubber seal so you just place this over the master cylinder. The cap also has two J- HOOKS on either side and so what you do, is grab the provided chain, hook it on to one of the j hooks, run the chain under the master cylinder and hook it to the j hook on the other side and tighten the wing nuts on the j hooks. This provides the seal needed since I didn’t have a cap that would fit directly.

NB This ^^^ entire step is irrelevant once you have a cap that fits over our reservoir. All you would need to do is remove your cap, put the bleeder cap on in its place and pressurize the system

Once this is done, all you have to do is pressurize the system (I went to 10 psi) and pretty much go to each brake caliper, fit a clear rubber hose, open the valve until you see no bubbles, shut it off, go to the next caliper and do the same thing. That’s it, you don’t need a buddy, there is absolutely NO PUMPING of the brake pedal involved. The pumping is negated by the fact that the system is already pressurized.

Made my life a LOT easier!! All for $60. I’d say if you work on your brakes a lot, get it.

Last edited by cydrive; 06-06-2008 at 11:14 AM.