General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Best auto tranny oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 05:15 PM

Best auto tranny oil?

Whats the best auto tranny oil? Ive heard good things about redline, what # or whatever do I get? How many quarts do I need?
Also Is the best oil filter an OEM maxima one?
Old 07-15-2002, 06:39 PM

Redline D4 ATF is very good but it is also very expensive. You will need 5 quarts for a drain and refill, and 12 quarts for a complete flush (if you use the T-tech service at Jiffy Lube). The capacity of the transmission is 10.5 quarts, but the T-tech machine requires 12 quarts.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:01 PM
2K1HoMax

also ive heard good things about the new tanny fluid from B&M its called trick shift. but i dont know if it too strong for dail driving, that fluid can really be pounded at say 1000hp give or take a few hundred. its got strenght to deal with that kind of power. but redline is pretty damn good too, just id personally flush the tranny so it wont be 30%redline, the rest old tranny fluid. just my .02

Old 07-15-2002, 07:09 PM

Re: Best auto tranny oil?

Originally posted by BBaker025
Whats the best auto tranny oil? Ive heard good things about redline, what # or whatever do I get? How many quarts do I need?
Also Is the best oil filter an OEM maxima one?
Amsoil is better for long term wear protection and performs similar to Redline. It also costs a lot less. Contact me for discount pricing.

Amsoil or Mobil 1 filters are better than OEM, and they are the only two I would consider otherwise. Stay away from FRAM and other off the shelf filters.
Old 07-15-2002, 07:29 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've converted 2 97 Maximas to AMSOIL ATF with superb results. The Automatic Transmission holds 9.5 qts. You can flush it yourself and it takes about 10 quarts. There is a write on it which you can find with search. That is what I did with the SE. Essentially you disconnect the return line fron the tranny cooler (bottom left rear of radiator) and pump out the transmission fluid with the car in park and the engine running. You must take the engine shield before you can disconnect the return hose that is under the radiator (7 bolts and a plastic pop it fastener) and the return hose is the lower of the two. Disconnect the return hose and attach a 5 foot long piece of 3/8 ID transparent platic hose (I bought 10 feet for $2.30 at home depot). I pumped out 3 quarts and added 3 quarts 3xs (I used a clear 3 qt plastic bottle to pump old atf into) then I watched the plastic hose to see when new fluid comes out, it is very easy to see the change. I then reconnected the return hose, replaced the engine shield and topped off the transmission fluid to ensure it was full but not overfilled. Took less than 30 minutes total. It took a total of 2 1/2 hours to flush tranny, install new fuel filter, clean PCV valve and clean Throttle bowl. SE is running better than it has in a while. I personally have not used any REDLINE oils but many members have and reported good results. The choice is yours.
Be well!!!!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:31 PM

MOBIL1, redline and AMSOIL certainly have a very good rep.

It's usually hard to go wrong with AMSOIL but the MOBIL1 can be picked up at most stores..
If on a tight budget and you really crave a good ATF try ValvolineSynpower ATF (a blend).

Fred...
Old 07-15-2002, 07:38 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

Empirically, there is NO difference between Mobil 1 and Amsoil ATF.

I wish I had a baseline analysis of Redline D4 ATF, but it has a good reputation as well.

For convenience, go to xxxxx Parts Store and buy Mobil 1 ATF. It's been lab proven here and will serve you well.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:00 PM

how can i flush my tranny fluid? Do i just stick a hose in the place where you put tranny fluid with the drain open?
Old 07-16-2002, 07:21 AM

Originally posted by BBaker025
how can i flush my tranny fluid? Do i just stick a hose in the place where you put tranny fluid with the drain open?
Below are some step by step instructions that deadrx7conv. wrote from another post:

Or, buy 5 feet 3/8"ID (I think) clear hose($2) at HomeDepot/Lowes/Plumbingsupply....
Connect(use hose clamp) to either A)the pressure line from transmission(see ATF COOLER FAQ) or B)connect to transcooler exit point(flushes cooler).
Drain/refill transmission(~4.5 quarts).
Overfill by 4 quarts(optional) and start motor. Dirty ATF will be pumped out of clear hose into container of your choice. Do not let ATF pump run dry(it will gurgle/burp/bubble before running dry). Always monitor fluid level in container. Stop before the amount that exits is greater than amount used. And, if fluid is not clean, add ~4 more quarts and redo. You will see the fluid in the hose change color(means you are done).
Best if you have 2nd person(to yell at) in car(to shut off engine when container hits the 4 quart mark) with key while you hold the hose(don't hit neighbor's house with ATF).
This will flush your torque converter. The new fluid will displace the old fluid just like the flush machine. And it will save you money because you are not wasting new fluid(drain/refill method).

Add fluid,using funnel, to the dipstick tube. Drain plug is ???--someone please post a picture of the bottom of your transmission or page from FSM. I did not see drainplug in the ATF Cooler FAQ. But, there is a good picture of the autotrans pan(3rd from bottom). The plug is usually there.

Process of diminishing returns--for the drain/refill/run5minutes/repeat method--wastes too much fluid(if using synthetic).