General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2000, 05:25 PM

Is there any way to balance a tire on the car? I heard of it once before but never looked into it. I've had my tires balanced but there's still a slight vibration at ~60+ that I'd like to get rid of.
Old 09-05-2000, 08:17 PM

Balencing on the car can be done but....

you may find it hard to locate a shop that still has the old equipement to do it and someone who knows how to use it. State of the art off car balencing and a new material that can be injected into the tire thru the stem to even out the weight of the tire and rim is the latest and best way to go according to some TV show I saw recently. Can't recall the name of the material injection process but it's new and you may be on the lookout for it.
Next time I get tires balence I'm going to look around to see If it's offered around here. The demonstration looked pretty impressive on the tube. Maybe someone else knows more about this new process?
Old 09-05-2000, 08:38 PM

If a rebalancing (off the car) doesn't solve the vibration problem, then it is possible you have an uncorrectable problem. Some tires, especially out of round tires, can't be balanced with wheel weights or that new spray goo material.

Good luck. I hope when you bought your tires, you had a lifetime balancing warranty.

Old 09-06-2000, 04:26 AM

I've got the exact same problem

Haven't had a chance to fix yet.
Check out post/answers on 4th gen listings.
Josh

Originally posted by Remington
Is there any way to balance a tire on the car? I heard of it once before but never looked into it. I've had my tires balanced but there's still a slight vibration at ~60+ that I'd like to get rid of.
Old 09-06-2000, 05:39 AM

I had a problem like that on my 4th Gen.. turned out I had a bent rim. even after putting brandnew tires the car would still shake at about 90+. I got the car used so don't know what happined to it B4 me.
Old 09-06-2000, 06:41 AM
Thump

On The Car Balancing

Don't forget, it only works if you have rims with edges on them. The 17 inch 2K Maxima rims have no edges for the equipment to latch onto. It requires at least an 1/8 or more flat lip for the balancing device to attach to. Most people steered away from this years ago becasue it definetaly would scratch the edges of the rims but when about all cars had hud caps who cared since the hud cap would scratch the black paint anyway.

Old 09-06-2000, 06:52 AM

Re: On The Car Balancing

Originally posted by Thump
Don't forget, it only works if you have rims with edges on them. The 17 inch 2K Maxima rims have no edges for the equipment to latch onto. It requires at least an 1/8 or more flat lip for the balancing device to attach to. Most people steered away from this years ago becasue it definetaly would scratch the edges of the rims but when about all cars had hud caps who cared since the hud cap would scratch the black paint anyway.
Stickon Weights Brother, Stickon Weights. No need to hammer weights on the lip anymore
Old 09-07-2000, 07:14 AM
Thump

Balancing

I was just giving information on the original question on this topic since it was mentioned that he haden't investigated balancing on the car. I also use stick on weights. It is a much better balance than the wack on weights on the side of the rims. I was very impressed with Nissan when I looked inside my 2K Rims and saw they had stick on weights. It costs a bit more but well worth it in the long run for the ri and for the ride.