General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

Woo hoo! Getting new tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 03:45 PM

Woo hoo! Getting new tires

I got 215 55 16" Michelin Energy MXV4+ tires last week. Coming from 225 50 16" BFGoodrich Comp TA VR4. After I drove on them, they are horrible for anything remotely performance. They have OK grip forwards/back but in the turns forget it. They're excellent for a soft cushy luxurious ride if you own a Lexus LS400, Lincoln Continental, Caddy, or a limosine. But otherwise they're aweful. I'm a middle of the road kinda guy. I dont buy for pure performance, but all rounded performance, meaning traction, quiet, long tread and

I went back to the tire store (BJ's Wholesale Club actually) and asked what i could do. They were willing to take back the old tires, but the new ones will have to be special ordered and cannot be returned. No problem, nothing can be worse then the Energys. I'll just keep my car in the garage for the next few days and ride the motorcycle. Only problem is BJ's only carries Michelin branded tires (Michelin, BFG and Uniroyal). Uniroyal didnt seem to have any tires available. Michelin had their Pilots but they were expensive. So once again there was BFGoodrich, but they have no 215 55 16s. Only 225 50 16s. Then I did some research on tire rack and I think I found the perfect tire. The BFGoodrich G-Force TA KDWS "performance all season" in 225 50 16. I know some of you say theres no such thing as performance all season, but the non-all season G-Force TA's were rated as VERY noisy...one thing I absolutely cannot stand no matter how well the tires grip. The All-seasoned ones should be an excellent overall tire, as it does snow here in Maryland in the winter and I'm too poor to buy snow rims and tires. I also might be going to school in Connecticuit next year so thats also important. The new tires are actually cheaper then the Energys, at $120 a piece they're really cheap for what they're said to do.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rce+T%2FA+KDWS

With a 400 AA A rating, they should last just as long as the Energy's I got now, but stick alot better. They are W rated, so they're even higher speed rated then my BFG Comp TA which were V.

Lessons learned. The stock OEM size may not always have good tires available for it. Theres almost no "performance" 215 55 16s. So I'll compromise some and go for the 225 50 16s again. Who knows, maybe this will decrease my 60 foot times some. We'll see.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:17 PM

Re: Woo hoo! Getting new tires

Originally posted by ericdwong
I got 215 55 16" Michelin Energy MXV4+ tires last week. Coming from 225 50 16" BFGoodrich Comp TA VR4. After I drove on them, they are horrible for anything remotely performance. They have OK grip forwards/back but in the turns forget it. They're excellent for a soft cushy luxurious ride if you own a Lexus LS400, Lincoln Continental, Caddy, or a limosine. But otherwise they're aweful. I'm a middle of the road kinda guy. I dont buy for pure performance, but all rounded performance, meaning traction, quiet, long tread and

I went back to the tire store (BJ's Wholesale Club actually) and asked what i could do. They were willing to take back the old tires, but the new ones will have to be special ordered and cannot be returned. No problem, nothing can be worse then the Energys. I'll just keep my car in the garage for the next few days and ride the motorcycle. Only problem is BJ's only carries Michelin branded tires (Michelin, BFG and Uniroyal). Uniroyal didnt seem to have any tires available. Michelin had their Pilots but they were expensive. So once again there was BFGoodrich, but they have no 215 55 16s. Only 225 50 16s. Then I did some research on tire rack and I think I found the perfect tire. The BFGoodrich G-Force TA KDWS "performance all season" in 225 50 16. I know some of you say theres no such thing as performance all season, but the non-all season G-Force TA's were rated as VERY noisy...one thing I absolutely cannot stand no matter how well the tires grip. The All-seasoned ones should be an excellent overall tire, as it does snow here in Maryland in the winter and I'm too poor to buy snow rims and tires. I also might be going to school in Connecticuit next year so thats also important. The new tires are actually cheaper then the Energys, at $120 a piece they're really cheap for what they're said to do.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rce+T%2FA+KDWS

With a 400 AA A rating, they should last just as long as the Energy's I got now, but stick alot better. They are W rated, so they're even higher speed rated then my BFG Comp TA which were V.

Lessons learned. The stock OEM size may not always have good tires available for it. Theres almost no "performance" 215 55 16s. So I'll compromise some and go for the 225 50 16s again. Who knows, maybe this will decrease my 60 foot times some. We'll see.
I think you're going to a tire that's not made for a 6.5" rim. Why deal with speedo error amd such? There's nothing wrong with a MXV4, the Maxima is not gonna handle like a German car no matter what you do with it. Hopefully you didn't let peer pressure from the forum make you go to all this trouble and park the car for a few days what's up with that? 200 miles is going to be noticeable on an MXV4? I'd keep it the way it is. If you trade-in the car or sell it, you'll probably get a (-) for the wrong tire size on the wrong width rim. my .02
Old 07-22-2002, 04:24 PM

I tried following my friend in his 17 second VW GTI the other night on these tires and they dont handle for a hoot. But yea you're right, this car sux at handling. It sooo can't handle. My old camry with Intrax and 15" rims handled better. The handling went from OK to worse when I got the tires.

As for the speedometer error oh well I'll just deal with it, my car's value isnt increasing by anymeans. BFG's site says that the 225 50 16s can be mounted on a 6.0-8.0 rim, so it technically is within specs. And for selling it- I'm sure the suspension, racing clutch and other butchered mods dont help the resale anyway so oh well. Oh yeah, did I mention that Nissan resale sux anyway? I still hate this car.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by ericdwong
I tried following my friend in his 17 second VW GTI the other night on these tires and they dont handle for a hoot. But yea you're right, this car sux at handling. It sooo can't handle. My old camry with Intrax and 15" rims handled better. The handling went from OK to worse when I got the tires.

As for the speedometer error oh well I'll just deal with it, my car's value isnt increasing by anymeans. BFG's site says that the 225 50 16s can be mounted on a 6.0-8.0 rim, so it technically is within specs. And for selling it- I'm sure the suspension, racing clutch and other butchered mods dont help the resale anyway so oh well. Oh yeah, did I mention that Nissan resale sux anyway? I still hate this car.
You know what ultimately matters? What you think about the tires, could be Kid Force are same, worse, better, but if you like them, then it's worth it to put them on. They sound like they'd be better or higher performance at least. good luck.
Old 07-22-2002, 07:22 PM

Did you consider the KD or KDW? I have the G-Force KDW and yes, they are louder than stock and other all-seasons, but it's not too bad. The enormous performance improvement makes up for it.
Old 07-22-2002, 09:53 PM

Yes I looked at those, but the noise rating turned me off. I then looked at the WS ones and the noise rating looked much better. That along with the added snow traction made these a turn on.
Old 07-23-2002, 09:32 AM

I have the GForce KDWS 225 50-16's and they are GREAT....better grip than my previous Dunlop SP Sport 5000s...and a great wear rating too.
Old 08-09-2002, 06:47 AM

Loud KDWS

I have the BFG KDWS 225-55-16, and they are VERY LOUD. I like the performance but hate the noise. Unknown to me, my Max was slightly out of alignment starting at 20k (slid into a ditch after ice storm). My stock Toyos went 53k with hardly any noise. I got the KDWS and after 15k, they were getting very noisy and wearing alot more than the Toyos. I got the car aligned, but the noise is getting worse. They now have 21k and are probably 75% worn. I never race and rarely spin tires. That 400 treadwear rating is BOGUS in my opinion since the OEM Proxes A05 had a 280 rating. Also, the KDWS make my car "wander" alot - don't know if that is because of the wider tire or what.

I either want the Toyo Proxes TPT in 215/55/16 (65k treadwear warranty) or the Yokohama YK420 available at Discount Tire only.

The Energy MXV4+ is smooth and quiet on my Mom's E320 and my wife's Jetta wagon, but I decided not to go that route for my Max.

Good luck!