General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

ACT Clutch - expected lifespan

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2002, 12:26 PM
!OG SNES OG!

ACT Clutch - expected lifespan

Hey all,
By all accounts, my clutch is slipping, and I have two choices - replace with an OEM clutch, or ACT.

I've been hearing good reviews on the ACT, but want to have a few questions answered. I'm in the middle of reading the search results, but nonetheless:

1. What kind of lifespan do these have? I drive mostly highway (about 600KM / week) and city (about 100km /wk). I do like to push the car sometimes, but mostly drive like a normal civilian

2. How does this compare to stock/OEM? In terms of durability, comfort?

3. I do want to be able to launch nicely, and have some fun, so does it have the kind of pull that will make it that much more worthwhile over stock? I'm looking at $300-400CDN for stock (+8hrs labour grrr), vs. about $550 for the ACT + labour.

Thanks, and any more information you feel like providing on this would be MUCH appreciated.

Mike
Old 08-07-2002, 12:48 PM
Keven97SE

Re: ACT Clutch - expected lifespan

The ACT clutch disk is actually a modified stock unit, so the life expectancy is similar to stock (~100K miles). The exact mileage obviously depends on driving style, city vs highway, etc, though.

Clutch pedal effort is more than stock. It will feel heavy at first (not terrible, but noticeable), but you will get used to it within a week. I think the clutch actually eases up somewhat over time...my ACT seems to be lighter now after 1.5 years. The most noticeable thing is the reduced travel required to engage the clutch. It seems to engage immediately after grabbing compared to the stocker. Again, it just takes some time getting used to it (1 week). After that, it is as easy to drive as the stock clutch. Really, it is. Very very easy to drive clutch. Your clutch chatter will be gone, too. It's overall more driveable than the stock unit, in my opinion.

I recommend this clutch HIGHLY. It does not slip. You will be able to drive the car as hard as it can take. The clutch is no longer a soft spot. You can launch very very hard and shift very hard without the slightest hint of slippage. Since it sounds like your clutch need replacing anyway, there is NO reason whatsoever not to upgrade, again in my opinion.

Originally posted by Blaxxxima
Hey all,
By all accounts, my clutch is slipping, and I have two choices - replace with an OEM clutch, or ACT.

I've been hearing good reviews on the ACT, but want to have a few questions answered. I'm in the middle of reading the search results, but nonetheless:

1. What kind of lifespan do these have? I drive mostly highway (about 600KM / week) and city (about 100km /wk). I do like to push the car sometimes, but mostly drive like a normal civilian

2. How does this compare to stock/OEM? In terms of durability, comfort?

3. I do want to be able to launch nicely, and have some fun, so does it have the kind of pull that will make it that much more worthwhile over stock? I'm looking at $300-400CDN for stock (+8hrs labour grrr), vs. about $550 for the ACT + labour.

Thanks, and any more information you feel like providing on this would be MUCH appreciated.

Mike

Old 08-12-2002, 09:37 AM
!OG SNES OG!

Re: Re: ACT Clutch - expected lifespan

Keven,
Thanks for all the info!
Mike

Originally posted by Keven97SE
The ACT clutch disk is actually a modified stock unit, so the life expectancy is similar to stock (~100K miles). The exact mileage obviously depends on driving style, city vs highway, etc, though.

Clutch pedal effort is more than stock. It will feel heavy at first (not terrible, but noticeable), but you will get used to it within a week. I think the clutch actually eases up somewhat over time...my ACT seems to be lighter now after 1.5 years. The most noticeable thing is the reduced travel required to engage the clutch. It seems to engage immediately after grabbing compared to the stocker. Again, it just takes some time getting used to it (1 week). After that, it is as easy to drive as the stock clutch. Really, it is. Very very easy to drive clutch. Your clutch chatter will be gone, too. It's overall more driveable than the stock unit, in my opinion.

I recommend this clutch HIGHLY. It does not slip. You will be able to drive the car as hard as it can take. The clutch is no longer a soft spot. You can launch very very hard and shift very hard without the slightest hint of slippage. Since it sounds like your clutch need replacing anyway, there is NO reason whatsoever not to upgrade, again in my opinion.

Old 08-12-2002, 11:27 AM

40,000 miles on my ACT and still going as strong as ever.
Old 08-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Can it be adjusted so the pedal feel is more like stock?
Old 08-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

my stock clutch went pritty soft so i figured id upgrade since im boosting next year hopefully. All i can say is that this thing grabs like a monkeys fist. The chatter defintly makes u a little iffy at first as if you did something wrong, but when its gone its all butter, i chirp second even when im not trying to. It's a lot of fun, but now i have a cv joint thats makin a $hitload of noise, so ill prolly have to go pick up a front axle, anyone know how much they cost (drivers side) or where to get em besides dealership?
Old 08-12-2002, 08:52 PM

Originally posted by NotNew!!NewSN!!
my stock clutch went pritty soft so i figured id upgrade since im boosting next year hopefully. All i can say is that this thing grabs like a monkeys fist. The chatter defintly makes u a little iffy at first as if you did something wrong, but when its gone its all butter, i chirp second even when im not trying to. It's a lot of fun, but now i have a cv joint thats makin a $hitload of noise, so ill prolly have to go pick up a front axle, anyone know how much they cost (drivers side) or where to get em besides dealership?
www.Raxles.com
Old 08-13-2002, 08:15 AM

Originally posted by MAXINXS

www.Raxles.com
thanks, that looks like a great site, i emailed them. You reccomend these types over OEM?
Old 08-13-2002, 08:22 AM
Keven97SE

Is that Scooby Doo's site?

"Raaaaggyy reeeeelllppp! Ry reed a raxle ror ry Raxima rrraaaassttt!"

Originally posted by MAXINXS

www.Raxles.com